cost of living in France

ike

Read an article this morning about the cost of food in France (written by a Scottish woman living in France). She says food prices have shot up eg a cauliflower £3, a steak £10. Has anyone been there recently and found  that food costs, or anything else for that matter have jumped? We have the ferry booked for May but now wondering whether to zoom thru France into Spain or even cancel.

Cheers ike

Guest JudgeMental

So are you going to cancel your holiday and sell the van?

Or restrict yourself to fortress Britain (no longer great :-D )

We have decided against normal 5 returns with Eurotunnel and just having main Summer trip for a month in Italy and a week at whitsun in France........

Life goes on, and I cant imagine prices of basics being that much worse.

Someone once told me that he believed parity on prices was 1.10 to the Euro. So if he is right we are there now *-)

Hi,

We are in Spain at the moment and can confirm that the cost of food is way up compared to last year and with the fall in the value of the pound it is indeed very expensive to eat out and anything other that basic foods is also expensive. Friends who live out here but go back to the uk regulaly say uk is a lot cheaper now

Doen,t stop me though

Richard

I am off tomorrow for a few weeks, France is more expensive and I reckon that 1.25 Euro is about right there, But Spain is cheaper and maybe 1.10 would be about right.

Anyway, none of this will matter in a couple of years, the Bank of England is printing money, the Pound will continue to devalue, and as it stays at parity for an extended period it will, in effect, be tied to the Euro, so £1 = 1E then it's just a matter of changing the notes and coins over.

And the EU has once more got it's own way, if they can't do it one way they will find a new way.

Oh! look I just found out that "ctrl + alt + 4" at the same time gives €!

Now I am ready €€€€€

Geoff

Ike

We have just returned from an eight week tour around, France,Spain, Portugal and Morocco. The one and only spermarket chain in Morocco was very expensive as most things have be imported. The rest of Europe seemed / were a lot more expensive than the our supermarkets. Without doubt we are the poor relations in Europe. BUT don't be put off France and Spain etc are wonderful countries and welcome motorhomers with open arms. We are off to Germany August/September and will carry as much food as ppossible.

Shrouds don't have pockets and you can't take it with you, sod the kids you worked hard for so enjoy it . Paul and Ann

Hi Folks

Judge - Of course we won't be selling the van and will probably still do our usual couple of trips to France this year. However we have to consider all associated costs. As we're in Glasgow it costs us an arm and a leg just to get to Dover. Plus hubby is a big eater so I'll probably need to put some more money in the holiday piggy bank to cover the extra food costs! We no longer bring back a load of wine as our supermarkets usually have good deals throughout the year Although if the Scottish Government's plans to deal with alcohol abuse come to fruition those deals may well be discontinued.

AnnPaul You're so right both countries are great for MH'ers but we may spend some more time in Scotland this year (depending on the weather of course).

Cheers ike

w1ntersun - 2009-03-07 6:17 PM

Hi,

We are in Spain at the moment and can confirm that the cost of food is way up compared to last year and with the fall in the value of the pound it is indeed very expensive to eat out and anything other that basic foods is also expensive. Friends who live out here but go back to the uk regulaly say uk is a lot cheaper now

Doen,t stop me though

Richard

Haven't found that to be the case in Valencia. I keep a close check on prices and none of the basics have increased, in fact some like milk have reduced in price.

We go back to the UK a couple of times a year and no way is it cheaper there, unless you're talking about 'expat' provisions like tea bags etc.

Last week's shopping bill included;-

Fresh chicken breasts 4.86€ per kilo

Bananas 99c per kilo

Milk (UHT) 60c per litre

250g Baguette 45c

Apples 1.29€ per kilo

Flour 40c per kilo

Diesel is currently just over 80c per litre.

Our council tax is 300€ per year for a five bed detached with pool.

My local Fiat dealer charges 32€ per hour labour.

You can still get a three course lunch including drink for about 5 to 7€.

Luckily a lot of our money has been in Spain since 2003, so we're not affected by the weak pound.

Transferring my notes from the 2007 "Guide National Des Aires De Services" to the 2009 version I noticed lots of the Aires that charge had increased prices by 25% between editions. Also noticed a number that used to be free now levy a charge. Adding in the depreciation of the pound, plus one's obligation to frequent local businesses at Euro prices and even an Aires-based French trip looks considerably more expensive this year. Still, at least motorhomers are welcome visitors over there rather than the opposite attitude we often encounter over here.

Bob

We live in Spain and concur with Derek 500 we don't think things here are any dearer then UK it may not be the cheap place it once was but its still good value.As for eating out I would say 30% cheaper than UK and if you go for menu del dia 50% cheaper.

Sirloin Steak 12e kilo, Pork loin 3.95e kilo, Diesel .80e litre,Bottle VAT 69 whisky 7.95 e,70cl wine from .90e litre,13kg butane gas 13e

Don't be put off Spain by prices, shop around and look for offers bring your Brit escentilas with you they can be expensive.

The only valid comparison of the cost of living in the Euro area, is in Euros.  If the Euro cost has risen, the cost of living has risen.  However, if prices converted back to Sterling look higher that is inevitable, as Sterling has devalued by approximately 25% since last year.  In other words, while your Euros may buy you a little less than before (due to local inflation), your Euros are now a lot more expensive to buy with Sterling, so Euroland will appear a lot more expensive.

I don't understand Halli's comment, as the Euro exchange rate is the same, whether in France or Spain - or Greece for that matter.

I can't speak for the prices in France as I came back here in October, but I was amazed last night to notice a very ordinary loaf of bread in Somerfield was over £2 !! Certainly back to making my own again as the price of bread flour has not risen very much at all.

In January I was in France for six weeks skiing. I have a small chalet and have friends and family to stay. My wife, who does not ski, gets all the food in for the group and said this year it was around 15% more expensive. Now she keeps the accounts in Euro's so a direct comparison. Not sure where people get their euro figures from, it was stated on one thread a short time ago the pound has lost 40% since last year now Brian is saying 25%. I have just looked at my bank statements and last May early June I was getting between 1.19 to 1.22, yesterday I got 1.09, now I make that closer to 10%. In January I was getting between 1.01 and 1.03 so it has got a little better again and despite all the gloom would expect it to get back to around 1.20 by this summer. Still would not stop me going am off skiing again on Monday and will still go to Europe this summer. Strongly disagree with people like the Judge who constantly run the UK down and I will certainly continue to take my month in Scotland and have several weeks in the many other beautiful parts of the UK. With the inflation in France it will be more expensive this year but easy to cut down on other expenses if you wish.

I have a house in france and yes the price of food as gone up. but some things are still far better value then here in the UK.

bread in france as always been expensive, meat and I don,t mean the supermarket rubbish but good meat is around the same price as her in the UK, fish is better value, and greens are a bit cheaper.

some things are odd, duck is a better buy then chicken, a doz eggs from the local farmer works out at 80 pence. lamp from the same place at around 20 to 25 the whole lot, but you need to love lamb a lot or split it between a group.

The place where france wins out is that the fuel bills are a lot lower, insurance is better, lower fuel cost, no road tax at the moment but coming in for larger engines.

As to which country is best I AM SPLIT, at the moment I am writing this in our home in exmouth and last night I was with mates in the local pub talking over a good pint of beer and with a log fire going in the corner, a curry was planned for later, just great, But then again my mother who lives in the old family home will not answer the door after 8 o clock at night is surrounded by drug taking a-- h---- that break all they see and who I understand from yesterdays newspapers are to be able to mug old people at will break into their homes and all they face is a telling off, My french mates mother who is the same age walks around the village at any time, doors unlocked with no fear. yes the UK has gone down, but its my home land and I hope that things turn around and commen sence takes back a hold before I get much older.

michael

hymer1942 - 2009-03-08 9:07 AM

November 2007 145 to the pound was the norm, in December it had dropped to about 135 and through Jan. and Feb. 125 and downhill since.

Have to agree with first bit but 2007 was never mentioned in previous posts so my remarks were about exchange since 2008. As to going downhill ever since not true since January it has been creeping up.

Michael I am in no way trying to knock France, I spend to much time their. The person who started the thread asked the question about expense and I tried to answer it with some facts, not pure speculation. As to your prices we can all quote odd items that are cheaper/more expensive. I am just saying what the food shoping cost was for about eight people over a period of six weeks, a better indication I would have thought for a general costing. As to fuel well I have to again question that, diesel is a little cheaper still but petrol is now more expensive, so it depends what engine you have. I love going to France and as I said in previous post am off again on Monday. I can do nothing about the price I pay for anything so just have to be a little more careful. Thank goodness cheap wine is still better priced, but even here buyer beware because the best French wine is not.

As far as I can find out from official (internet) statistics, the cost of food in the UK has increased by 9% in the last year and by only 3.2% (INSEE stats) in France. (Increases, depending on source and product grouping from 0.46% to 12%)

Going for what we planned to be a long break in France in April, so we shall find the truth pretty rapidly.

Andy.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article5844672.ece

www.french-property.com/news/french_life/food_prices_rural/

rupert123 - 2009-03-07 11:09 PM ............now Brian is saying 25%. I have just looked at my bank statements and last May early June I was getting between 1.19 to 1.22, yesterday I got 1.09, now I make that closer to 10%. ...............

Guilty!  I was rather lazy with that 25%, and quoted a figure that had stuck in my head from when the pound was around 1.01, compared to around 1.25 or so before the crunch crunched!  Comparing current values to last years, I agree with Rupert, the percentage is a lot less.  However, Mrs Rupert's records do provide a valuable indication, albeit I suspect food prices in January, in skiing areas, may not be truly representative of what is going on in less frenetic areas.

Patricia - 2009-03-07 9:23 PM

I can't speak for the prices in France as I came back here in October, but I was amazed last night to notice a very ordinary loaf of bread in Somerfield was over £2 !! Certainly back to making my own again as the price of bread flour has not risen very much at all.

You've got a very expensive Somerfield there Patricia! You can pay silly amounts for bread, but you can also get a very decent loaf for under £1.

As for the cost of food in France, our experience generally has been that meat can be quite pricey, both raw and cooked whilst veg on the whole is comparable with the UK. We generally take a fair bit of meat with us and just supplement it when we see offers etc, but we do like to partake of the fresh veg and fruit ... quite partial to melons! :D

We tend to stick to the discount shops, similar to those we have here, but find that some of the smaller chains of supermarkets can be very expensive, even some of the bigger ones can be dear for certain bits and pieces. At the end of the day, though, we're on holiday, if we have to pay a little bit more then so be it within reason.

Brian Kirby - 2009-03-08 4:57 PM
rupert123 - 2009-03-07 11:09 PM ............now Brian is saying 25%. I have just looked at my bank statements and last May early June I was getting between 1.19 to 1.22, yesterday I got 1.09, now I make that closer to 10%. ...............

Guilty!  I was rather lazy with that 25%, and quoted a figure that had stuck in my head from when the pound was around 1.01, compared to around 1.25 or so before the crunch crunched!  Comparing current values to last years, I agree with Rupert, the percentage is a lot less.  However, Mrs Rupert's records do provide a valuable indication, albeit I suspect food prices in January, in skiing areas, may not be truly representative of what is going on in less frenetic areas.

Brian I failed to point out that all our shopping is done at a place in the valley either at Continent or Intermarche stores. You are correct that prices of food in ski resorts tends to be on the expensive side that is why we do not do it.

Archived