Menin Gate

Geof  Angi

hi there is a municiple site in ypres (near stadium) within walkin distance of menin gate. stayed there a couple of years ago, there was a load of travellers camped there at time we had 2 cycles stolen so be carefull. menin gate is fantastic & quite moving hope you enjoy

We stayed at Camping Jeugdstadion a couple of years ago. Good site, we had no problems, but it is within a fairly built-up area, some industrial units on the opposite side of the road up to it.

It is a short walk to the Menin Gate, the site backs onto some sportfields and you can walk alongside there to get to it.

Well worth a visit, very thought provoking.

Ypres itself well worth a visit too.

I found the website for the campsite, but the website seems to need a bit of TLC! http://www.jeugdstadion.be/index_english.htm

Ina.

Thank you for your kind invite, unfortunately we won't be going across 't water until the end of May, will be busy doing our kitchen around the Easter period!

I hope you have a good time.

As for the Menin Gate, the Last Post at 8 pm is something truly thought provoking, moving and very emotional. It was for us anyway.

Ina.

• 11 months later...

When we go, it's usually out of season, so park on the road outside the campsite, well just past it, it had used to be a through road, but there are barriers now cutting it in to, stopped with three other vans last year and the only disturbance were the kids having a laugh on the way to school.

Pete

Hi geoff Angie

Will be interested in your trip, as I have discovered

(while researching Family Tree) that I have a great uncle who died in 1916 and is mentioned on the memorial . We have been to the french battle area's , that was very moving. We will try to go to Menim Gate and look for my relation. We do have details of were he is, so I must go and pay my respects He was a twin, but his brother died at birth, he was only early twenties , when he went. You are able to find out a lot about any relatives killed in WW1, on Ancestery.co.uk web site

P Jay

Well that confused me, don't know if any others realise but this thread jumps from 2009 to 2010, I did wonder how I posted that thread knowing that David has just had big op on his shoulder and couldn't drive the van till well after Easter. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Mandy

• 4 weeks later...

We went last year and I found it very moving, every night at 8.00pm there is a ceremony where when we were there it was a group of firemen that played the last post and people from allover English American etc; laid wreaths. There is a small museum/shop where you give details of your relative name/reg and they bring it up on the computer all the details of where they are buried, even where they were born in England and Mother and Fathers name Wife etc; and its free, you just give a donation if you want to.

It really hits home when you see the thousands of names on the Gate and that is oly the people with no graves. :-S

Im not sure but I think there was only one camp site!! its in the C.C.C. book I cant remember what it was called but it does sound like one that was mentioned beside the sports centre.

We visited the Menin Gate on the weekend before Easter for the first time.  We parked in an adjacent road and wandered over the small bridge back into town.  Only took us 15 mins.

It was a Saturday and there was a big market in full swing when we arrived.

I took a couple of photos and suddenly the sun came out and shown through the circular 'port holes' in the roof to illuminate a few names.  I had shivers down my spine I can tell you.

1680217651_MeninGate1.jpg.61a87f8ce9e75d1c4fe8c7b40c25147e.jpg

716525081_MeninGate2.jpg.7ef9939e099d107e2ea18cc523218b8b.jpg

1010262898_MeninGate3.jpg.39a56d4b3485f2c8ebfc9b5dd5a8f221.jpg

Archived