Where do you keep your spare MH keys?

derek500

Mike88 - 2009-03-15 10:10 AM

You're on a campsite near the beach and you both want a swim. Surely you don't take both sets with you and leave them on the beach. I hide mine but am not saying where.

Exactly the sort of scenario that prompted me to start this thread!!

We have a key each, but there's a third key hidden - and I defy anyone to find it.

I suppose the probelem with your request, Derek, is that if we all posted our secrets on here they wouldn't be secret anymore. Remember, anyone can read any thread on the Forum, it's only for posting that you have to be registered - and even then it's easy to register without telling anyone who you really are (ask some of the people who've been barred over the years, but still re-appear!).

So have a good look at your M'home, decide whether there's a REALLY secure place you can hide a key (bearing in mind that your insurers won't pay up if you're wrong!), and then don't tell ANYONE (except possibly the "emergency person" in your passport - just in case).

Tony

• 7 years later...
We got locked out last year with the keys in the van and the spares at home. After waiting 3 hours for the RAC to arrive and gain access I realised it was a bit pointless having the spares a hundred miles away. Since that day have always carried the spares in my pocket.

Our Van came with only 2 sets of keys, - When travelling, my wife keeps one set and I the other on us, - basically on the premise that we wont both lose our keys together, if the bad guys get in and we are not there, then at least they haven't got a key to aid their escape.

It is a bit of a concern though - losing a key when you are miles from anywhere, easily done while anchored up in a field somewhere.

In my last van, I made a rather natty false floor for the drinks cabinet - I was really proud of it, you would never guess it was there. Keys and tablets went under that, then glasses, bottles etc put back on top.

Current van doesn't have a suitable cupboard for that, there is a sort of hidey hole but I'm not saying where it is. :D

At home my spare set is held together with a day-glo green band which hangs on a peg in the kitchen.

When i go away i take the spare set and keep them in the van safe. One of the keys is the key to the safe. *-)

I really must find an alternative place in the van.

Andy&Lou - 2016-05-18 2:46 PMAt home we use a combination key box screwed to the wall with spare house keys in it.Would it be possible to attach one of these under the van somehow?ThanksBessacar E745

I have a spare habitation key in a magnetic keybox which is securely gaffer taped up and cable tied out of sight to the chassis under the van. Not easy to get to - but that's the point!

We also have devised some false panels inside which take our other bits & bobs, and we spread our emergency money & valuables between these places. 

Similar magnetic box on this ebay link:- http://tinyurl.com/znvqrgm

It is the old security versus convenience and safety issue.

Some years ago, related to my work, we had to hire a security expert to review the security in our house.

All our windows have locks (as specified in our insurance policy documents) and we were told that they had to be locked at all times. In addition we had to change the exterior door locks so that the doors could not be opened without keys.

However the expert agreed that all those security measures made our house less safe for its inhabitants in the case of a fire.

All sensible motor homers (I hope I am one) would never travel far away from their home base without a spare key, however where do you keep it? If you keep it in a secret place not on your person you may well invalidate your insurance!

I keep a spare key for the habitation door somewhere accessible external to the motorhome, I hope in a super secret location. This allows access to the motorhome where I keep a spare ignition key, again in a hopefully super secret location.

I continue to keep my fingers crossed!

Since losing my van keys many years ago , I always carry a spare set, taped up with duck tape, to stop them being lose and rattling around, in my purse ( ok not a manly thing !! ) that contains my lose change . Piece of mind knowing a spare set is at hand .

Motorhome keys on a shelf near the door, stored in a small plastic box when van is occupied on site..together with the bike keys.

at least that is where they SHOULD BE.

BUT I have to admit that yesterday and today WE CANT FIND THE SECOND SET OF BIKE KEYS.

Fortunately, there is a key cutting place across the road in the hyper, so this afternoon we took the one set of bike keys across, and had to pay 26 euro to get the 3 replacements .

we have turned the van and pockets, backpacks etc inside out, but original second set has vanished completely.

The best laid plans .....

tonyg3nwl

Hello Guys! Been away from the forum for a while due to health problems, back now at full strength.

We keep a key each when out (Hers & His, just in case the other way round evoked comments - lol )

BUT to digress - how many of you keep a spare, up to date key fob battery in the MH? We do now having been in the middle of nowhere when ours failed without warning! Just as bad as having no key! We got in with the hab. door key! Food for thought?

Great to be back!

Barbarian

We have all sorts of keys with us when we tour including two sets of car and trailer keys, two MH ignition keys and three or more habitation keys, so if we took a full set of keys with us each when we leave the MH it would be cumbersome.  But we do also have a robust safe in the MH.

Insurers don't want you to leave ignition keys inside the vehicle, so you certainly mustn't leave the second key accessible inside the vehicle when you leave it and if the vehicle is stolen using the ignition key, you are likely to face repudiation of your insurance claim.  We stretch the interpretation of that rule by leaving our second igition key inside the safe, which is out of sight under one of the swivel seats, bolted to the floor and would take a thief quite a long time to get into.

We each carry a key to the habitation door and the safe with us when we go walkabout and I also carry the primary ignition key, so we've got at least one of them with us.  My wife therefore carries a small bunck of keys and I carry a slightly bigger one.

It works for us.

Just bear in mind your insurance policy may include a clause something like:

"Your policy will not cover loss or damage arising from theft whilst the ignition keys of your motor caravan have been left in or on your motor caravan or your motor caravan has been left unattended with the engine running."

If I am on my own, I will carry both sets in different zipped up pockets and, if possible, different worn garments. If there are two of us, we carry a set each. I was provided with a third key [i think is for the habitation door] which I keep at home and a key code card which I keep in my wallet.

Archived