first time travelling France

stardreamer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
France is VERY motorhome friendly,you will find that out, as previous posters say, try a bit of French it all helps even if it is just "Merci " and "Sil vous plait" and" Bonjour"...they will appreciate this.The driving on the right will become second nature after a while, the main thing take your time don't rush there is always another day to do it!!

smiler.gif.f9feb690d9f801b95af2013e12a1d30f.gif

Hi,

We're (me) are not trying to put you off or scare you. Its just when something strange happens....that you are perfectly capable of dealing with.......its nice to know that you are not the first.

My most frightening experience was doing 50kph in a 50kph zone in middle of Evran, when a car exited a side road without stopping, crossed in front of me at about 70kph, and departed into the road opposite. Very, very, close! As he came from my right, I must assume he did not know which was his left and right, had had a lot to drink and was looking for somewhere to relieve himself....or hubby had come home early. All of which can happen just as easily in the UK.

Hi,

We're (me) are not trying to put you off or scare you. Its just when something strange happens....that you are perfectly capable of dealing with.......its nice to know that you are not the first.

My most frightening experience was doing 50kph in a 50kph zone in middle of Evran, when a car exited a side road without stopping, crossed in front of me at about 70kph, and departed into the road opposite. Very, very, close! As he came from my right, I must assume he did not know which was his left and right, had had a lot to drink and was looking for somewhere to relieve himself....or hubby had come home early. All of which can happen just as easily in the UK.

Just a thought,, in some towns in france you still have to give way to traffic

from the right, we had this happen last year, we were 'cut up' but when we had parked and came back to a cafe near this junction everyone on the main road was giving way to vehicles coming from the right, so just always be aware.

cheers

Oh and another thing I always had on some time when looking at the journey. You study the map, an internet route finder, and the sat nav and they all tell you 5hrs at the speed you want to go at, i guarantee it'll take 6 *-)

Hi Tony

Thanks for your quick response. We have taken on board what you have advised and are sure we will have a most enjoyable time. We have had a great response from other forum members. All that remains is to read through them all and thank everyone. Nice to know that there are people out there willing to help newcomers to the motorhome world.

Thanks again and am sure we will have other questions when we have read through the responses.

Dave and Maria

Hi Brian

Thank you for your imput. We have had a great response and need to read them all. You have raised further questions in our minds and we will be in touch soon for more advice if you don't mind.

Hope to speak to you soon.

thankyou

Dave and Maria

Hi Dave and Maria - welcome to the forum! :->

I've got some typed up 'diaries' that I wrote from our holidays to France, something that I would recommend you do too. We always do this when we're on holiday so we can remember where we've been and what we got up to ... it helps why trying to make sense of the numerous photos too!

If you want I can email you copies to have a shuftie at, might give you some ideas of where to go/what to see. If you want them, just drop me a PM with your email address.

One thing no-one has mentioned, but is this stating the obvious, buy yourself the best map you can ,preferably a large scale one, the AA BIG EASY READ ,at 3 miles to the inch is good, plus it has all the speed camera locations on it.

So all you have to buy is...All the Aires in France..France Passion..Alan Rogers guide France ..all from Vicarious Books and a good road Atlas of France etc etc .

A large scale map helps you get lost more easily....

Happy Trails Dave

fourbears_poppies.jpg.331fe7391d99b0db2932aa72a1dff73e.jpg

With regard to driving on the right in Europe, whatever manoeuvre I make, I say to myself KEEP RIGHT.

If you turn left....turn left & KEEP RIGHT.

If you turn right...turn right & KEEP RIGHT.

Approach a roundabout...KEEP RIGHT.

If you get confused ! ......KEEP RIGHT.

It works for me.

W3526602 - 2009-03-25 4:37 PM ......... My most frightening experience was doing 50kph in a 50kph zone in middle of Evran, when a car exited a side road without stopping, crossed in front of me at about 70kph, and departed into the road opposite. Very, very, close! As he came from my right, I must assume he did not know which was his left and right, had had a lot to drink and was looking for somewhere to relieve himself....or hubby had come home early. All of which can happen just as easily in the UK. 602

If I understand you correctly, and there is not much room for doubt, what you describe is classic "priority on the right" in action.

That is to say, the other driver emerged from a side turning that was on your right while you were driving along a "main" road.  He was on your right, so he, and not you, had the priority.  It was your absolute responsibility to stop.

It must be understood that this is not a discretionary right in France (i.e. a bit like the UK amber traffic light, at which you should always stop unless in your judgement doing so might cause an accident), it is an absolute right: you MUST stop. 

Had there been a collision, (unless the other driver had himself ignored a stop sign, when he would have been held liable), you would have been held liable.  He came from your right and, in the absence of a stop sign, he had the priority.  French law is very black and white, there is almost no grey.  If in doubt, slow down on approach to side turnings, you will notice that the French often do so.

It happened to me a couple years ago in Calais. I was on the motorbike and riding around the back streets. I approached a crossroads...no white line markings or stop signs....a car came barrelling through from my right and missed me by a whisker.

I really thought that my heart was going to burst through my chest ! I had to stop and get off the bike to recover. My lesson was learnt and never forgotten that day.

Hi Brian,

I thought unkind thoughts, but then checked my earlier mail. Doh! Its me thats the pratt who doesn't know his left from right.

The car shot out of side road on my LEFT, crossed in front of me, and departed on my right. For those who know Evran, he was in the lane behind Potdevin, I was heading towards the Vieux Chien Noir (The Old Black Dog) restuarant, which is proprietored by Caroline, a retire Jersey bank manager. English speaking B&B.

I'll get my coat and use it to wipe the egg off my face.

These priority from the right places are disappearing now but in some towns the convention still exists and can take British motorists by surprise (those of us who passed our tests in the earky 1960s though will remember priority from the left in Englans when joining the traffic on a roundabout!).

One such town, where all the roads joining the main RN9 between the A75 and Narbonne (sorry I forget the name of it), is really tricky. The RN9 itself, fortunately, narrows as you enter the town and with lots of parked cars this slows the traffic considerable which is just as well as the side roads are very tiny (more like alley ways) and the exits are hidden by buildings. Not a place for the unawares of this particular law!

I also well remember one of the first times I drove through Paris, probably about 1964, when going down the Champs Elysee every so often the traffic file would screech to a halt as a very slow vehicle came from the right and just literally sauntered across all these lanes of traffic. There is also the Arc de Triumph roundabout where still, as far as I know, traffic coming on to the island has the priority and you find yourself squashed nearer and nearer to the centre. When you want to exit it is a matter of deep breath, hold it, signal, pray, then GO!!!

W3526602 - 2009-03-26 4:51 PM Hi Brian, I thought unkind thoughts, but then checked my earlier mail. Doh! Its me thats the pratt who doesn't know his left from right. The car shot out of side road on my LEFT, crossed in front of me, and departed on my right. For those who know Evran, he was in the lane behind Potdevin, I was heading towards the Vieux Chien Noir (The Old Black Dog) restuarant, which is proprietored by Caroline, a retire Jersey bank manager. English speaking B&B. I'll get my coat and use it to wipe the egg off my face. 602 602

It's all to do with driving on the right!  I'm fairly used to the change, and quite happy on the right, but if I had a pound for every time my wife has said turn left and I've turned right................... 

Executing a right turn in UK means crossing the oncoming traffic stream, so I simply execute a reversed right turn manoeuvre.  I do the same for right turns as well, so at least I'm consistent.  Seems you have the same trait!

Never mind, it gave a good opportunity to explain the priority on the right rule, so no egg, I think.  :-)

bob b - 2009-03-25 10:50 PM

With regard to driving on the right in Europe, whatever manoeuvre I make, I say to myself KEEP RIGHT.

If you turn left....turn left & KEEP RIGHT.

If you turn right...turn right & KEEP RIGHT.

Approach a roundabout...KEEP RIGHT.

If you get confused ! ......KEEP RIGHT.

It works for me.

The scary bit is when you get back top the UK having mastered driving on the wrong side !!Not unusual to have a "french" senior moment in Tesco's carpark and wondering which side you should be on. (You cannot tell me that I am the only one that has those moments ;-) .)Rgds

Yup .. .must agree my hubby does the same! He gets so used to driving in France that when we come back I often have to remind him which side to drive on ... it takes days for him to get back to UK driving automatically whereas getting used to mainland Europe driving takes a few minutes!

As for the idiots shooting out from the side roads ... watch out if your'e going through the Bois de Boulogne Park near Paris, they come at your from all directions there and have been known to 'hide' behind the statues first!!! We nearly made a Smart car even smaller!!!!!

Last year I had been to a friends house and they had a wierd oval shape turning kind of circle , near her house which I came out of on the wrong side and drove for a good half mile along the wrong side.

Quiet street so didn't meet anyone even though I was in a housing estate in centre of Kettering. Suddenly thought "am I on the wrong side of the road" , pulled over and sat , the more I thought the more I couldn't decide. So thought oh well will wait for other car and that will tell me, nothing, like a ghost street so in the end I had to ring HIM. :-(

"Andy this may sound silly but what side of the road should I be driving on?"

" Why is there a problem, have you had an accident"

"no I am stuck by the side of a road and don't remember which side to drive"

10 minutes later when laughter had finished he told me and I drove home quite happily, and never had a problem since.

I have only ever been a passenger in France!!!

Mandy

I always made mistakes when leaving supermarket carparks and such like :$ My wife would shout at me and then I'd switch on! Now whenever i get back in the driving seat especially after a stop, I've got into the habit of repeating three times "Drive on the Right". (?) It works for me

Archived