New Road Atlas

howie

Hello campers. Time to renew my old AA road atlas of Great Britain and Ireland and wondering if any of you have any recommendations on what to buy.

Reasonably happy with the AA one, but perhaps a more detailed atlas can be found that is more appropriate camping wise and offers a larger scale than given with my present one which is 4 miles to the inch.

'Collins' has a 3.2 to the inch available, but only for some areas, and though it has had good reviews would like to know if this can be bettered.

Thank you.

I've got the AA Easy Read Britain map book.

It's 2.3 miles to the inch, so I can just about manage to refer to it without having to put my reading-glasses on.

Downside is that it in bound book form so it doesn't stay open like the spiral-bound ones do.

I use Philip's Navigator, England, Wales, and Southern Scotland at 1.5 miles per inch, Scotland north of Glasgow/Edinborough 3miles per inch, no Ireland I'm afraid. My one gripe is the index referance numbers cover a 6x6 mile square, and it's amazing how sometimes it's hard to find a place, if only they used the abridged grid ref used by some it would be perfect. There are different Philip's atlas's which look the same but have different scales so you need to be carefull when buying.

Guest Tracker

The Phillips navigator at 1.5 miles to the inch (three books to cover the UK) used to have 10cm x 10cm squares with OS grid references in each page corner. I don't know if it is still available but it worked well for us pre Sat Nav.

If you make up a s10cm x 10cm clear plastic roamer with 1 cm apart lines horizontally and vertically you can plot any location by it's OS grid reference.

Or you could get a Sat Nav and Auto Route plus a new 2009 AA 4 miles to the inch atlas from a supermarket for £1.99 as a back up and for route planning?

Or just enjoy getting lost as all part of the fun?

howie - 2009-03-30 12:15 PM

Hello campers. Time to renew my old AA road atlas of Great Britain and Ireland and wondering if any of you have any recommendations on what to buy.

Reasonably happy with the AA one, but perhaps a more detailed atlas can be found that is more appropriate camping wise and offers a larger scale than given with my present one which is 4 miles to the inch.

'Collins' has a 3.2 to the inch available, but only for some areas, and though it has had good reviews would like to know if this can be bettered.

Thank you.

Went to see the Mappa Mundi at Hereford Cathedral last week Howie. If I'd known you were going to update your map, I'd have taken a photo and emailed to you :D

colin - 2009-03-30 12:35 PM

I use Philip's Navigator, England, Wales, and Southern Scotland at 1.5 miles per inch, Scotland north of Glasgow/Edinborough 3miles per inch, no Ireland I'm afraid. My one gripe is the index referance numbers cover a 6x6 mile square, and it's amazing how sometimes it's hard to find a place, if only they used the abridged grid ref used by some it would be perfect. There are different Philip's atlas's which look the same but have different scales so you need to be carefull when buying.

I find the best way to find an exact address ( such as a campsite) is to use Streetmap.co.uk.

Just put the post code in and you can print off a small local map which you can refer to once your book of maps has got you to the right area.

:-|

Hi guys. Thanks for your input and did,nt realise just how many options were available (even the 'Mappa Mundi' made interesting reading John).

Plenty of food for thought, not only on the selection of maps, but on how we use maps and how to make the most of them.

Decided to go for the AA 2009 'Big Easy Read' for general use and still looking for a more detailed book of maps for more specific locations and areas. Amazon have the 2009 version of the AA on sale at £7.49 (post free) while Auto Express want £14.99 for their 2006, so not to difficult a choice and once again proves the worth of shopping around.

Easy enough to cover the distance between two points, but (sat nav apart) its when you get to your destination you really need those finer details and i,ll now follow up some of your recommendations with re. to 'Phillips Navigator' etc.

Thanks.

A comment on AutoRoute.

The latest edition is 2007. It hasn't been updated since and the info I have is that it won't be.

It's also been suggested that Microsoft will not be producing a newer version for Europe.

I haven't been able to find a replacement for Europe which can be used off-line.

;-)

Guest Tracker

I use Autoroute as a planner and although the roads may change the towns don't move so it will always be relevant for that purpose.

For on the spot accuracy you can't beat a good Sat Nav kept regularly updated with changes and new maps every few years or so.

Always carry a good up to date Atlas as a backup and to confirm or otherwise Sat Nav directions that may look a bit iffy.

Archived