Smoking VW T4

Guest Merlin1

Guest Merlin1

Does anyone know what might be causing my 1996 VW T4 to smoke ? It's a 2.4 diesel.

I had an oil change and the cambelt replaced last September due to the low mileage of around 26 500 at that point. The garage also MoT'd it at the same time and it passed, the emissions were fine and they said the engine is in excellent condition as is everything else which was good to know.

Sometime after, I noticed I was starting to get blue smoke coming from the exhaust after start up and this lasts for a mile or so before totally disappearing. If I leave the van for any amount of time, it comes back, the longer I leave it, the worst the smoke is but always clears after a mile. I know blue smoke means oil but there is none being leaked on the drive, no oil spray marks on the back of the van. I have checked the oil a few times recently and it does appear a little down but not excessively so.

Could the timing be out slightly ?

Your van is very low mileage for its year so must spend a fair time standing. Mine is a bit smokey for a mile or so after standing for a while but it soon clears. Are you sure its not just "diesel smoke" from the fuel in spite of passing its emmission tests? The smoke tests for the MoT are done with the engine at normal temperature. Your problem seems to occur when van has been left standing and probably cold.

Wouldn't think it to be a timing fault, or related to your recent cambelt change, more probably coincidence?

Sorry I can't be any more help, I am sure someone with more knowledge will suggest something. Doesn't sound too serious to me though unless it starts to get worse.

Good luck

Sounds like it might be a sticky piston ring.

They can gum up on low mileage engines that are not warmed up to full working temperature after starting.

Excess diesel fuel is usually white (unburnt) or black ( to rich overfueling).

Try using some cleaning additive and take it for a good hard run.

Then make sure it is fully warmed up every time it is started and taken for a good run every two weeks minimum.

Geoff

Hi Grant,

Check to see on the right hand side of the steering wheel on the dash there is an advance pull knob (like a choke on a petrol) Check to see if this is disconnected. Some have an auto one fitted around 1996 again check to if all is well at the fuel pump. Check the crankcase breather, maybe blocked.

Check what oil you are using, some dont like 5-40 , 0-40 full synt'.

Give it a regular run and maybe a fresh oil and filter change and checks above and it should give you years more enjoyment.

Regards,

Brendan.

I thought it a coincidence that the problem occured shortly after oil change and cambelt change but perhaps not. Perhaps Brendan has hit the nail on the head with his oil type suggestion. If your garage put in a different grade oil to that used previously ie thinner then this could be the reason.

If the smoke problem began at the time of the cam belt change get the garage that changed it to check the injection timing. I had a 2.4 fitted with a new belt at a VW dealers some years ago and even they managed to get it wrong resulting in exhaust smoke.

The T4 needs more than just securing with locking pins as the timing can be out by very small amounts and give the problem that you have.

I don't think the UK market indirect injection 2.4 litre T4s had a turbo. The 2.5 TDI did though.

You have to be carefull with VW cam timing as the cogged wheels are a taper fit on the camshaft with no keyway. Even the locking plate for the cam needs packing with a feeler gauge.

Just an odd degree or two out affects performance and can cause smoke under some conditions. If you keep full fuel consumption records it shows up in the figures. If that has not changed its probably nothing to do with the timeing more likely the change in oil.

My 12 year old T4 pulling a Clubman coachbuilt had done well over 90,000 miles when I sold it and still only needed a litre every 6,000 miles.

I doubt worn valve guides or piston rings is the problem at your mileage.

It was still on original brake discs and clutch with the only major expense for rebuilt injectors at 80,000 as it was starting to smoke and fuel consumption was getting worse.

• 1 month later...
Guest Merlin1

Just an update....

I used some cleaning additive in the engine and took it for run but sadly no change.....

I then decided to book the van into a local VW dealer. Were they were a VW dealer for 40 years but now hold the SEAT franchise. Anyway, the yearly service was due to he changed the oil and filter, gave the van a "health check" and checked all the glow plugs which is what he assumed was the problem as soon as I spoke to him. The health check found nothing to be amiss, all present and correct and in good condition.

Next day I crossed my fingers when I started it but out puffed the smoke again. Have just taken it back down to him as he suggested if the problem was still there. He wants to keep it over night so he can start it in the morning and check the timeing. Will let you guys know what happens. I don't think it can be much, it drives like new ! If nothing else, thris thread may help someone else :-)

I am watching how this goes, I had my cambelt changed (not at VW) and whilst it does not smoke I have a sneaking suspicion that the fuel consumption is a bit higher. i.e about 35 mpg when before I could get 38 mpg.

I know these engines are very sensitive to timing so I might take mine in (to VW) and get it checked.

Geoff

Guest Tracker

I don't suppose it could be as simple as too much oil in the sump could it?

Does the dipstick (the metal one, not the human one) fit fully into it's 'ole?

Just a though?

Hi'

The timing needs to be checked on 2.5 tdi with a scope when engine is at operating temp. Vag -Com does market this and can be used on your lap top. If you also visit some VW forums you will get someone with Vag- com to help you out in your area.Takes all of 3 min.

Regards,

Brendan

Hi ,

OK sorry did not re read the first post, 2.4 non turbo. Check if you have a manual advance (for cold starting) or auto. If manual it will have a pull out knob. Check to see if this is connected. Also crankcase ventilation is OK

When starting up from cold pull out knob and see if you now get smoke on start up.

Regards,

Brendan

• 4 months later...
Guest Merlin1

Sorry, I forgot to report back......it's only been a couple of months ;-)

Well, I had the van checked by the dealer, everything is fine, timing ok, oil was changed, told me it's "running sweet".

Throughout the summer, I pulled out the cold starting lever slightly more than I was doing and it was certainly 90% better. The garage also said that some older T4's can be a bit on the smoky side so I guess everything is fine and just one of those things.

I guess it would benefit from beeing used more often but lack of time always tends to be an issue sadly.......

Thanks again to everyone that replied to my questions..

Archived