Awnings and the strong Mistral in France

vicwo

Has anyone got the Movelite xl for a coachbuilt? Can the poles take it because they seem flimsy to me.

Also the Khyam looks far stronger but its almost twice the price.

All comments welcome please.

Thanks

Vic

Hi, we've got one and put it up in rough winds quite high up on the side of a hill facing the sea in North Devon the thursday before Easter. The wind was so strong I nearly acidentally went paragliding with it before we managed to peg it down! When it was all pegged down we had no problem with it even with the wind blowing and rain pouring down right through the night.

A few years ago we had a caravan with a lightweight awning. We were up in the early hours taking that one down as it was blowing away, so I had misgivings about putting up the Movelite in such bad weather. I was pleased to have been proved wrong.

I hope this helps, no doubt someone else will come along soon with their views and suggestions.

Guest Tracker

Without wishing to be negative strong winds and awnings do not go well together and the nett result is often a destroyed awning and/or a badly damaged van all or any of which is not only inconvenient - like how do you get a damaged awning home - but quite expensive too.

Safest thinking is not to use 'em when 'tis windy.

Sailing small boats taught me never to leave canvas unattended. Shrink wrapping vans tends to disturb the wallet months.

The main use for our wind out awning is somewhere to dry the washing when its raining and that includes a couple of month long continental trips

each year.

I know many people think they are vital but its as well we don't all think alike.

As for the bit about the Mistral, I don't think anything made of canvas, natural or synthetic, will really resist winds of that strength and persistence.  When it really gets wound up it just blows and blows and, sooner or later, something will chafe through or take off.  As said, best not erected in high winds - whatever type, whatever make, whatever price!

I understand what has been said about not putting up an awning in strong winds. Indeed, I've seen the aftermath of an awning collapsing and the damage caused, but the Movelite is more like a tent and is not really attached to the van like a conventional awning. It has straps which go over the top of the van and peg into the ground but the awning itself stands free of the van.

Guest Tracker
dogmad - 2009-04-19 6:46 PM

I understand what has been said about not putting up an awning in strong winds. Indeed, I've seen the aftermath of an awning collapsing and the damage caused, but the Movelite is more like a tent and is not really attached to the van like a conventional awning. It has straps which go over the top of the van and peg into the ground but the awning itself stands free of the van.

But is it aerodynamic enough to clear the van - and everyone else's - when it takes off and do you need to alert air traffic control before flying it!

Once upon a time (last Summer) on a sheltered pitch on the C&CC Rhandirmwyn site in Wales, there I was, nicely settled in the 'van with a cup of Tetley. No wind. Awning out, legs pegged.

Out of nowhere there came a gusty breeze. I looked outside. Awning billowing madly upwards, front pole inclined to rear of 'van at about 45 degrees. Aaaargh!

Wife and self bounded outside fast as anything, each grabbed a post to hold the thing down.

Gusts disappeared as fast as they had come but I immediately retracted the awning. Luckily, no damage and no spilt tea. But lesson learned.

Never trust an awning, especially in Wales.

hi there vicwo we got one from glossop caravans good price, bought it for spain this winter .it will stand up to high winds .it has four straps that you throw over van and fix to floor tip is to twist these  straps then they dont weisel in the wind and sound like a ghost in the middle of the night.you can also get a adapter to fix to your wind out awning .don't no if you can put one up on your own you can always come and put mine up and i will stand a watch you .

Archived