Caravan Club

Guest Keith T

Guest Keith T
There have been threads here about MMM website speeds, but has anyone else had problems with access speed to CC website. The initial access is slow, signing in as mamber not too bad, but when it comes to booking sites, slow, slow, slow, and I've given up for today, as it just will not connect through.....obviously too popular, and easy to book that way, I guess. Any comments, folks?

I dont find the CC site slow - when compared to this one Never tried it for making a booking The LINKS however do seem to be lacking; in that I seem to be rediected back to the start over again When making a booking I always either a Dial the number to speak to someone, or, b Send a FAX with a request or booking Those work

Guest Keith T
Hi Pete. Yes I think its the booking procedure, and maybe evryone is trying to book today! I like the facility of on-line booking, and as well as immediate printed confirmation, you can track all futurs(and past) bookings as a member. Prinicpal is Ok, but practice needs looking at by them, I think.

Both clubs can have slow periods with their computer systems - I do not think that there is any difference between the clubs in reality - both have wardens who have off days - both have wardens who go that extra mile and are exceptionally helpfull. Both have rules about no panel vans, no 4 wheelers, no pick-ups and every site does. Some Wardens have a fetish about something or other - all moan about something, if only the weather or 'er indoors! The difference is in their aspirations - the CC, I believe, has long term aspirations to become a player in the European financial services and leisure industry. Eventually they will try to float like the AA and RAC making Trevor a very rich man and offereing members a few quid as compensation ... then the fun will begin.

Guest Keith T
Hi Martin - you're even more cynical than me......still trying the CC site, this time got through to the booking screen, sent a date....that was it! Now even the main page won't come up. Surely when desigining websites, they must expect members to use them, and have adequate capacity (or whatever it is they need) for them to operate properly. I suppose at least we're not now paying the cost of listening to 'music' on their call centre phones!

Guest Keith T
Hi Martin - you're even more cynical than me......still trying the CC site, this time got through to the booking screen, sent a date....that was it! Now even the main page won't come up. Surely when desigining websites, they must expect members to use them, and have adequate capacity (or whatever it is they need) for them to operate properly. I suppose at least we're not now paying the cost of listening to 'music' on their call centre phones!

Guest martin bone
Just to reassure Keith - and others - we have just spent three superb nights on a delightful CC site. We booked by telephne direct to the site, getting the details from the book or web site. The service and site were wonderful and the warden stayed about till we arrive a little later than we'd planned just to let us in.

Hi ALL We normally travel out of season (thats what you get for retiring) & our travells for the last 5 years have been overseas We are going to brave it this year and go to SCOTLAND actually we will start with a rally in Edinburgh with the C&CC to see the Tattoo Then North We want to see John at O'Groats then onto Cape Wrath & Inverewe Gardens (again)and as we have always been in a rush to get back home & WORK we have always missed OBAN Last year was Holland in Spring - Dont they have some wide ditches at the side of their roads Its agreat place and straight off the boat from Hull

Guest Keith T
Gave up on CCV Website yesterday, it seemd Ok today, and managed to get all bookings ok, expect one. Seems rather strange that if you already have a booking to leave on whatever day, and you try to make aseparate booking subsequently to stay a few days extra, you are within soimething called 'tow-out(?), whatever that may be, and you have to call them to amend the original booking. Strange. The lady on the call centre today did say there wer problems on theri site yesterday, but couldn't explain the 'tow-out', other than you can't override it!Trouble si with CC now it seems almost impossible to get the main sites especially at weekends unless you book in advance - against the grain for us, but at least if you book ahead, you can cancel as no deposit is taken, at the moment anyway!

Guest John Dinning
I believe that your last sentence explains some of the problem. Because the club is not taking deposits many members are making bulk bookings without having to care whether they do not take them all up. It would be interesting to know the number of cancellations that the club receives, that is if people have the decency to let them know rather than just not turning up.

Guest Keith T
Hi John...yes I agree, and I think the fact of not taking deposits undoubtedly exacerbates the situation. Apparently the reservations computer and site wardens computers do not speak to each other, and that's why it has caused problems. NOT turning up is , to us, totally discourteous, to the wardens, the club and especailly to memebrs who may well be disadvanatged. I agree it would be intereting to hear from CC HQ what percentage of bookings simply do not turn up!Trouble is they have now created a situation which means if you need a pitch you have to book it - whre before you could often phone 'on the way' and most of the time have no problem.

PeteC, In case you are not aware, unless you have an amphibious Motorhome, you will have to cross the Kyle of Durness, by the small foot passenger ferry from Keodale, then either travel by mini bus or WALK to Cape Wrath (about 20 miles round trip)

Archived