Mains Charger Control Unit

aljen

Hi

Im hoping someone with more elec knowledge than me can help with my control unit/charging unit. I had a problem with the charging unit soon after buying my van, was second hand. The dealer was to have it given a habitation check, which was carried out prior to me getting the van. As we hoped to go away the following weekend, i put it on hookup at home for a day as we were just going wild camping to try out the van. Afer a day i noticed the batteries, 2x90amp had not charged at all, but as it was summer, no real problem. On our return i tried to charge again as running it for approx 300mls hadnt made any difference. I contacted the company that carried out the habitation check and they asked me to bring the van in the following week. They confirmed that the charging unit had failed but they would fit a temp one til i got something sorted out. The unit was RK Reich model, so i contacted them to complain of the failure after 30months. Surprise, surprise the contacted me to say they would send out another new unit and i was to return the old one for inspection, No CHARGE. Well this weekend we fitted the new unit after sorting out all the temp wiring that had been installed to power the temp unit, after marking all the relevent cables, we disconnected and after losing a lot of skin from the knuckles we switched on again. Everything worked, hurrah, even the warning notice that we still had the hookup cable attached, that never worked before. As we checked through everything i noticed that when i hook up it shows that i am drawing 15amps with nothing on at all, this then drops to zero after 10mins. I tried when not on hook up and it doesnt show any draw unless lights etc are switched on. All cables connected to the charger are set in exactly the sequence as before and all fuses are good. Any bright people out there that could offer any suggestions as to what might be the cause.

Thanks in anticipation, i hope (lol)

Alan

Archived