gas bottles in spain

mgain

Hi,

Campingaz is available.

Spanish gas is cheapest if you are going to use a lot.and are not on free electric ( some site are now charging )

If you say you want the bottle for your van they will want to inspect it and charge 50-60 Euro for the privalage. But if you say you want it for your barbeque then there is no charge. You do the same as in the UK pay a deposite then buy refills. But I do know where you can just buy bottles ( nod nod wink wink )

Having said that 2 6kg bottles last me 3 1/2 months with plenty to spare

Richard

I agree with Colin. Flea markets in Spain are the easiest way to get a bottle and 10 to 12 E is about right for an empty 12kg bottle. That's what I did and it was 13.60E for an exchange refill in January. If your van has a fixed regulator you will need to obtain a "Spanish adaptor" which looks like a regulator but without the guts, gas bottles don't work if you try to use two regulators in line.

In my experience these adaptors can be quite difficult to find in Spain but they are available in the UK.This has all been discussed previously a search of previous topics should throw up some further info. Simple regulators are available everywhere for around 7.50E.

If you don't intend to keep the bottle when you leave Spain you can always sell it to another traveller, plenty do!

Finally can I ask how do you intend to connect and transport the additional bottle.

Go to a flea market in Spain for a gas bottle,Nerja , Mojacar have one on Sundays. I was there a couple of weeka ago and bought a Repsol 12 kg Butano bottle half full for 15 euros .When I emptied it I was pleased to find that the price for a refill had gone down to 10.5 euros. Viva la Espania. I also changed a 903 Gaz bottle in a Ferritereria [ Hardware shop ] for 8 euros, you need to shop around when changing these as price can vary quite a lot.Regulators can also be obtained at flea markets and are widely available everywhere in Hardware shops and Todo shops and also the rubbere? gas tube. *-) *-)

Go to a flea market in Spain for a gas bottle,Nerja , Mojacar have one on Sundays. I was there a couple of weeka ago and bought a Repsol 12 kg Butano bottle half full for 15 euros .When I emptied it I was pleased to find that the price for a refill had gone down to 10.5 euros. Viva la Espania. I also changed a 907 Gaz bottle in a Ferritereria [ Hardware shop ] for 8 euros, you need to shop around when changing these as price can vary quite a lot.Regulators can also be obtained at flea markets and are widely available everywhere in Hardware shops and Todo shops and also the rubbere? gas tube. *-) *-)

We bought ours at the Saturday market in Jalon. Easiest way and then, of course, if you happen to pop over to Portugal you can just get it refilled.

Jalon is a good place to go as after visiting the flea market you can go on the the local wine co-operative for tastings and. of course purchasing.

Guest Tracker
This is another of those oft talked about topics and a search of 'gas in Spain' or 'refillable gas' should bring up enough info and experiences to keep you occupied for hours!

How long are you planning to go to Spain for ? I am going in Summer for 3 weeks and am just taking 2 x 6Kg Calor Propane. I do not envisage using the heating !! and using the cooker hobs/grill/oven to a minimum so do not expect to need additional supplies.

Refills used to be 13.50 euros, but the price was reduced from 1st April onwards (by the Spanish Government) to 10.50 per refill.....that's for butane ("butano") gas bottles.

Any Repsol garage will exchange them for you once you've mananged to source an empty one from a rastro (fleamarket/car boot sale) etc.

The required bottle-top regulator and orange flexible hoses are available from all DIY type shops, and just attach with jubilee clips.

Attached image shows Repsol bottle with Spanish On/Off connector. My van is kitted out to accept high pressure straight from German/French tanks. The brass adaptor gets me from the Spanish connector to my pipework/regulators. I bought the adaptor as part of a pan European connection kit at Dusseldorf many moons ago. Part of the same kit would get me to UK connections if I had them.

If you can't find one of these brass adaptors, an alternative would be to get the Spanish Regulator which looks the same as the pic but has an outlet to Tube. That way you could connect to the Low pressure side of your setup.

By the way Repsol is more widely available that most other makes. I wish I'd seen a used bottle as low as €10. The going rate as far as I could tell in December 08 was €20. There are lots of free newspapers with private ads, but when I rang, the sellers were miles away or there were other difficulties.

I "bought"? mine (ie no paperwork) from a Butano agent on the Costa Del Sol for €20 + €11 for the connector. If you want to buy/borrow it, - pm me

gas.JPG.f898675cb9fc44eddf479c940ca3195c.JPG

Derek Uzzell - 2009-04-30 9:34 AM

Didn't it use to be possible to get UK-specification LPG bottles refilled in Spain, or was/is that service available in Portugal?

I haven't seen or heard of refilling of UK/Camping gaz cylinders in Spain. I did meet someone who tried to get the bottles supplied with a new Adria van refilled in Spain but the gas filling station he tried did not have suitable connections.

For sure you can get any bottle, whatever nationality filled at various places in Portugal. I used it a few times last winter.

Archived