New Tyres for a VW T4 camper

Stuwsmith

Just realised my tyres are 7 years old so guess I need to change PDQ!

Problem is I am confused by the choice of tyres available and want to make sure I choose suitable ones before buying. The easiest way would be to buy exactly the same type as fitted by VW (Goodyear Cargo G26 205/65R15C 102/100R). These are no doubt good quality tyres but as I will have to change them long before they wear out due to 6000 annual mileage am looking at cheaper (but presumably perfectly adequate, safe etc) Kumho 857 tyres.

My question is are the Kumho tyres ok as they don't have the C after the 15" rim size which I understand may be an indication of reinforced/heavy duty design. They do however have the 102 which I believe is the loading figure for the tyre? Does the "C" carry any more significance than the 102/100 load index?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Geoff but it still doesn't answer my question about the significance/ importance of the C after the rim diameter figure. I have looked at quite a few web sites that give info on the meaning of the figures on tyre walls but none seem to list any info on letters after the rim diameter figure.

Stuwsmith

The 'C' that follows the rim-diameter figure (eg. R15C) originally meant 'Camionette' (French for van or small truck). In English the 'C' is translated to 'Commercial' as an abbreviation for 'Light COMMERCIAL Vehicle'. Either way, the 'C' suffix indicates that a tyre is designed to be suitable for a commercial light truck, transporter or van. The 'C' letter has nothing to do with the Ply Rating system, nor the number of plies used in a tyre's construction.

The Kumho 857 range of tyres is intended for light commercial vehicles. See

http://www.tyresite.com/product.asp?P_ID=461

and should be 'C'-marked as a consequence. If you actually examine a Kumho 857 tyre - rather than just look at website entries - I'm certain you'll find that this is indeed so.

Websites can't be trusted for absolute accuracy. For example, although you know that your present tyres are 'C'-marked, you should note that, on the website I've just referred to, the entry for a Goodyear Cargo G26 205/65 R15 102/100 tyre does not show the 'C'. However, on the following website, when you click on any entry (no 'C' shown) in the Kumho 857 range, each tyre size is correctly referred to with a 'C' suffix.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/brands/kumho_tyres_uk_-_van_-_kumho_857.php

As the Kumho product has the same dimensions and 102 load index (850kg maximum load per tyre) as your current Goodyear tyres, then it should be perfectly suitable as a replacement. Whether it will provide equal, better or worse performance is anybody's guess, but, based on a recent report in Autocar magazine on budget car tyres, there seems to be compelling evidence that you tend to get what you pay for.

Derek

Thanks for that I think it has answered my question. I appreciate that you generally get what you pay for but think I will give the Kumho's a go. They will save me £72 over the Goodyear, if they wear quicker that may not be a problem for me, as long as they don't affect my mpg or are too noisy

Hi,

Spot on Derek the C after the rim dia' does mean Camionette (Light Truck)

On old tyres some years it did refer to the No of plies. It was the letter x 2= plies . Example D marking (d) 4x2=8 plies.

Now on some new tyres what does CP mean after rim dia' ?

Regards,

Brendan.

Brambles

Do you know what the ETRTO standard for a 'CP' tyre actually entails, please? Essentially, what technical specification are tyre manufacturers complying with that permits them to use the CP marking on their products?

It appears from Continental's advertising that the CP designation may only be applied to 8PR tyres, but other factors are obviously involved.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-05-05 8:08 AM

Brambles

Do you know what the ETRTO standard for a 'CP' tyre actually entails, please? Essentially, what technical specification are tyre manufacturers complying with that permits them to use the CP marking on their products?

It appears from Continental's advertising that the CP designation may only be applied to 8PR tyres, but other factors are obviously involved.

In a word No.

As far as I can tell, the CP marking relates to tyres under a load index of 121. Nothing to do with plies (yet again), and applies to tyres specifically for Motor caravans an is mandatory now tyres specifically designed for Motorcaravan use are marked with CP.

It applies to tyres where they have an increased load handling and characteristics , and also is only applicable when tyre is operated in its max pressure range below the max pressure range the CP rating is not applicable.

Above is a very brief summary of what I know, I will try and get more specific details and collate together. Somewhere there must be a detailed list of recommendations and guidlines - just cannot find it.

I was hoping you might know actually.

Jon.

Brambles

The ETRTO standards documentation will contain the technical specifications, but that's not in the public domain and few people (certainly not me!) will be prepared to buy it to satisfy their curiosity.

I did once ask my contact in Continental what advantages there might be fitting a 'CP'-marked 8PR tyre over an identically-sized 10PR equivalent, but I didn't get a useful answer. I think one can easily make educated guesses at what makes 'CP' tyres different from their wimpier 'C'-marked siblings, but that's not the same thing as reading the standards themselves.

There are lots of tyre-related questions such as this that I'd quite like to know the answer to - like what makes an M+S tyre M+S, and what did Michelin's R+W (Road + Winter) marking actually mean, but it doesn't break my heart not to know and, even if I did find out, the information wouldn't have any great value to me.

Archived