Going cold turkey

nightrider

I was calculating my non-smoking in lots of 24 hours I am now on 120 hours.

It is now one week since I came home from work feeling decidedly ill, lack of appitite did not make things any easier I still feel as weak as a kitten, I will now calculate things on a weekly basis in one sense it has been hard overcoming that critical 48 hours and it now seems a little easier.

But like everyone says it is weeks or months down the line that something could trigger the desire to sneak a smoke that is the danger point.

In order to stop smoking completely one has to have the desire to stop, you cannot tell yourself lies, I honestly think I now have that desire.

My wife said that if I prove to her that I have genuinely stopped smoking she will buy me something that I have always wanted, a Rolls-Royce silver shadow motor car to use as a base vehicle conversion into a coach built campervan, so if you ever see such a vehicle bowling down the road or pitched up on site you will know its me lol.

LordThornber - 2009-05-09 7:17 AM

How's it going Malc?, still baccy free I hope..

Martyn

Martyn,

I am still smoke free, the longer I go the craving for nicotine loosens it grip, the problem I do have is the sheer habit of rolling a ciggie, it is just like occupational therapy.

I have everything written down and if I get to two whole weeks smoke free I think I have cracked it, I can now see the wood for the tree's.

Malc well done mate. I had intended to stop on Tuesday but had to go on a 2 day Conference and I knew that I would succumb in the bar during the evening. Anyway, had last cancer stick at 5pm on Thursday and have not had one since. Yes it is hard trying to change after a habit that lasted 41 years, however managing (with some difficulty) so far but getting lots of support from OH.

A lot of building trade oriented people like myself tend to roll their own ciggies using Golden Virginia or Old Holborn.

The difference between hand rolling or smoking ready mades is enormous, with hand rolling it is an art, with ready mades it is just a case of slipping one between your lips.

As regards how much money I have saved since I last bought a packet of baccy which I have not quantified as yet but a 15g pack of Golden Virginia is £3.20 plus 40p for a pack of Rizla ciggie papers.

So it would cost me £3.60 for 2 days smokes, cost is not an issue with me but my health is, over the last couple of weeks my smoking has plummeted to near zero I have smoked 3 ciggies that I have bummed off one or two of my pals but the biggest thing is that I have been into shops and supermarkets and resisted the urge to buy tobacco and that to me is a magnificent achievement.

And I can honestly say that my breathing and chest wheezing has improved dramatically by the day, my wife used to say that it was like listening to someones death rattle in bed at night.

As a former dedicated smoker I would urge any smoker to try and stop, dont cut down that is no good you need to go cold turkey to shock the system.

At the moment in my efforts to kill off my smoking habit I am all at sixes and sevens, a feeling of being disjointed, disoriented and not at one, as they say in horse riding circles.

It is amazing the battles that go on within the mind and body when you try to give up the smokes, i'll get there, I will beat it and when I get my mind back on an even keel I will relate the innermost turmoil that one goes through.

Rapido-lass - 2009-05-15 11:47 AM

Hi Malc

How's it going? you still off the smokes? Lets have another update please

Rapido,

I had a bit of a relapse the other day when I came out of the hospital after hearing a bit of news that I didnt want to hear which stressed me out a little.

In order to clear my head I bought a packet of ten ciggies, lit one and promptly threw up behind a tree, I saw this guy who looked a little down on his luck, asked him did he want a packet of fags to which he said yes please, so I gave them to him.

When I got home I told my wife to scour my office and to dunk all my clothes in the washer to get rid of the smell of tobacco which now I cannot stand.

Nicotine withdrawal is not a problem for me I can cope with that, my problem is what to do with my hands? so basically I am smoke free.

Hi Malc,

Sorry to hear not happy news at hospital, hope nothing serious.

It's not an easy path to follow, and even though you've stumbled you haven't fallen so well done - at least you now know that ciggies aren't quite the same as you remember, so you will have even more will power!

The fact that you don't like the smell on your clothes means that your sense of smell is coming back to the full. You'll soon be finding that your food tastes better too!

Keep up the good work you're doing well.

Rapido-lass - 2009-05-16 9:19 PM

Hi Malc,

Sorry to hear not happy news at hospital, hope nothing serious.

It's not an easy path to follow, and even though you've stumbled you haven't fallen so well done - at least you now know that ciggies aren't quite the same as you remember, so you will have even more will power!

The fact that you don't like the smell on your clothes means that your sense of smell is coming back to the full. You'll soon be finding that your food tastes better too!

Keep up the good work you're doing well.

Its a good job I have a sense of humour and that I laugh in the face of adversity, to give up a habit that could potentially kill me only to find out that I have got something that will kill me within an unknown time, they can't very well say the time and date, just to sit things out.

As far as chemo is concerned I said forget it and lets see what happens?

Rapido-lass - 2009-05-16 10:39 PM

Hi Malc,

I'm so sorry for your news, you must be devastated. My thoughts are with you and hang on to your sense of humour as that's the best medicine ever!

You are only devastated when bad news comes without warning, if you have a gut instinct that is confirmed by a professional it isn't a problem its a relief.

I have a long way to go yet so its back to the usual daily task of earning a living and getting out and about in the van, a lot of guys have got what I have got and dont know it, knowing that you have got it eases the burden.

I was diagnosed with a chronic type of Leukaemia in 1992 and was told that the prognosis was not good and it was 'terminal', there was no cure but there was treatment. When we lived in the UK I had Chemo every 2 years but since moving to France I have had only one course of Chemo which was 5 years ago and I go to see my Consultant in Poitiers every 6 months. We have put it down to the change of lifestyle and the only other thing I have done is to take Green Tea Capsules every day for the last 4 years. I read an article about the Mayo Clinic in America that were trialing these capsules with remarkable results with my type of Leukaemia.

We can only plan for 6 months at a time after a hospital visit and before each visit we think that it is Chemo time again, but here we are in 2009 and feeling right as rain.

Malcolm, it maybe worth a try taking these capsules, they can't do any harm, I got the last lot from Holland & Barratt in UK.

Sylvia

Randonneur - 2009-05-17 10:04 AM

I was diagnosed with a chronic type of Leukaemia in 1992 and was told that the prognosis was not good and it was 'terminal', there was no cure but there was treatment. When we lived in the UK I had Chemo every 2 years but since moving to France I have had only one course of Chemo which was 5 years ago and I go to see my Consultant in Poitiers every 6 months. We have put it down to the change of lifestyle and the only other thing I have done is to take Green Tea Capsules every day for the last 4 years. I read an article about the Mayo Clinic in America that were trialing these capsules with remarkable results with my type of Leukaemia.

We can only plan for 6 months at a time after a hospital visit and before each visit we think that it is Chemo time again, but here we are in 2009 and feeling right as rain.

Malcolm, it maybe worth a try taking these capsules, they can't do any harm, I got the last lot from Holland & Barratt in UK.

Sylvia

Thanks Sylvia,

Will check that out.

Hang on in there Malc and we all know what your'e going through. The first few months will always be difficult and you should try to avoid the times and situations that made smoking so pleasurable.

Easily the hardest thing i,ve ever had to do and like everyone else you have my full support in trying to kick the habit.

keep it up malc i know how you feel i too was told i had something nasty a couple of weeks back i have not smoked since i go into hospital tomorrow to have a cancerous growth removed and am positive about it, carry on as normal and dont give in to it regards pagey

Archived