Spare bulbs.

W3526602

Hi,

Sorry about the blank mail.

I bought two sets of spare bulbs from Ebay. One set for my Land Rover, one set for the trailer ........ which I have been told are required in France. Cheopo......just over £3 per set, plus postage.

Yesterday I went to replace the bulb in the luggage bay of my Discovery. Bulb lit up OK, but rather dim. I checked to see if it was a particularly low wattage. No it wasn't, but it was 24 volt.

Had the vendor sent me the wrong pack? Probably not, as all the other bulbs were 12 volt. So I opened the second set, and found the coresponding bulb in that box was 24 volt too.

I emailed the vendor at just after dawn this morning. Its now coming up for tea time, and no reply yet. Hmmmmm!

So, is there some quirk in vehicle wiring, that I don't know about, where 24V bulbs are used on a 12V supply, to produce the required number of GLOOMS (unit of dimness).

If not, I feel this situation could be potentially dangerous, if not expensive if Monsieur Plod is watching you change a bulb.

Suggestions?

Suggest you check your Discovery's handbook to see what bulb should be used in its luggage-bay light: otherwise a Land Rover dealer should be able to advise if you provide your vehicle's VIN Number.

Can't say I've ever heard of a 24V light-bulb deliberately being used when the vehicle's electrical system is 12V and all the other bulbs are also 12V. I think (and I'm sure you do too) that the chances of the 24V bulbs in your bargain-basement packs being correct are minimal.

My understanding is that there is no legal obligation for motorists ('native' or visitors) driving in France to carry spare sets of bulbs in their vehicle. I'm aware that the Caravan Club's European Touring Handbook states otherwise, but, although it's highly recommended that spare bulbs be carried, I'm (pretty) sure it's not a legal requirement. I did contact the CC about this once, asking the question "If it were mandatory to carry spare bulbs in France, which lights should the bulbs relate to?" I did not receive a reply, so I looked at a current copy of the French Code de la Route last year last year and this supported my belief. For what it's worth, I've seen two lists of 'Continental Essential Equipment" in Halfords; one saying spare bulbs were a legal requirement, the other that they were a recommendation.

The following (rather weird) thread delves into the subject in some detail

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62542&start=15&sid=0594e163022e33571cf70f22367863c1

In practice, I've always carried spare bulbs when I've been in France, together with a (now legally obligatory) warning triangle and reflectorised waistcoat, plus a (still not mandatory) first-aid kit. I treat the spare bulbs more as a 'lucky charm' than a valuable safety accessory as changing the headlight bulbs on my Transit-based motorhome seems to need the motor to be dismantled first!

Guest Tracker

I simply get the handbook and see what bulbs it needs to comply then get what bulbs I can from my existing (and sometimes historic) collection then top them up from the local motor factors.

Having checked and tested each one they are then all packed in foam in an old ice cream container and stored ready for use.

Simples!

Hi,

I just received an email from vender to say he is sending two 12 volt bulbs. My faith in people is restored.

I read somewhere recently, that if the police in France stop you for a defective bulb, and you have a Renault, THEY call out a rescue truck and send the bill to Renault. Nice thought, wonder if its true?

It would be interesting to know where you read that - it wasn't in Fortean Times by any chance? ;-)

I can't find anything on this via GOOGLE (always a bad sign), though there are comments about what a beggar it can be to replace headlight bulbs on some recent Renault models.

I guess it's possible that French police might be aware of the requirement for garage services being needed to replace bulbs on those vehicles and would be prepared to contact a recovery service on the vehicle owner's behalf, but I can't see the police billing Renault for that, nor can I see Renault coughing up if they did.

Hi Derek,

As I said, its a nice thought. Trying to remember how close to April 1st that I read it. There was something about that time about making flourescent seat belts mandatory. 8-)

My neighbout, in Wales paid over £80 to have a side light bulb replaced on his French car.

OT....but my mate's French car failed it MOT on a broken spring. Tester said it was the first one he had seen that had had the recall work done. It seems the springs are coiled in an increasing dia, so if they break, the top drops over the bottom, removes the front brake hoses, and plays havok with the drive shafts. The recall work involves fitting a bigger spring pan. Doesn't stop the springs breaking, just protects the bits underneath.

Broken springs are becoming common.

Yes, I've noticed that the subject of broken springs regularly commes up in the Telegraph's "Honest John" section. Apparently it's due to the cheap-and-nasty way they make them nowadays.

I saw headlamp bulbs being replaced on a current model Skoda Octavia today. Two mechanics were involved and the complete headlight unit had to be removed.

Couple of points. I have a Discovery as well and find the load bay lights useless anyway as it is too low and my dogs invariably lean against it as it is on the side of the vehicle.

My solution was to fit a couple of those round LED lights that you can by from most places. They are self adhesive and stick and can also be removed easily from the headlining. So when you need light you simply press the middle bits of the lights and the rear of the car is filled with a fantastic blue light.

They came with batteries included and have been fitted for three years now and used regularly in the winter and I still have not had to change the batteries.

As regards bulb changing on cars, I think most now have easily detachable lights to make easy bulb changing. The front lights on my Discovery come out after moving four simple sliding clips. The rear ones are far more fiddly but again it is far easier to remove the whole assembly, change the bulbs and then replace the entire structure.

Springs. Having seen a broken spring on a VW Sharan I was staggered to look at the break and see that the metal was crystallised and so had had no significant tensile strength. The vehicle was towing the caravan and was owned by a young family.

Two new higher spec aftermarket springs later and the owners could hardly believe it was the same car.

Springs are cheap and higher spec ones for towing are a good idea.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT FIT THOSE RUBBER SPRING "ASSISTORS" OR INSERTS AS THEY FOCUS THE FORCES ON A SMALL AREA OF THE SPRING AT EITHER END OF THE RUBBER INSERT

Hope this helps.

Hi,

OT .....but things not to do.

A lady member of my staff was late for work. She immediately phoned the dealer who had sold her a new car, complaing that the petrol tank had collapsed. "No!", she said, " I haven't fitted a locking petrol cap".

At the end of her conversation, she put the phone down, smiled at me, and said......

"The *******s knew what I'd done!" 8-)

This was 40 yers ago, so I assume they have sorted that problem.

Archived