Parliamentary Change?

RoyH

CliveH - 2009-05-21 10:45 AM

Graham

Forgive me but I am not interested in how the money is spent or allocated. This is a bit of a red herring as money should always go where it is needed. What I object to is the two tier charging system that we now have. It is the basic premise that we all pay the same tax and NIC but are discriminated against by a Government agency that was set up in 1948 on the premise that Health treatment should be free at the point of delivery.

Well now it isn't. There are costs to us in England that is not charged to those in Wales or Scotland. Like I say, it seems that the devolved assemblies look after their constituents better.

Fair play to Wales and Scotland - If I were living in either I would be voting for the national parties as long as they can show their representatives have not had their snouts in the trough, if not then an independent candidate would be my choice.

I agree, Clive, money should always go where it is needed. However, one person's opinion of where money is needed is often not the same as another person's opinion.

The way in which the health budget is spent was one of the powers devolved and it is the differences in opinion between Westminster and the devolved bodies which has led to the differences in prescription charges.

If the UK as a whole accepts that devolution of powers to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is correct then it has to accept that such differences will occur.

The total funding received by the devolved bodies - decided by the Barnett Formula - is not affected by how they spend it. The fact that MSPs decided to spend £57M on funding free prescriptions means that they had to reduce spending somewhere else.

As regards the premise that health treatment should be free at the point of delivery, regrettably (IMHO) that went out of the window years ago when Labour first introduced prescription charges (incidentally, the Labour Party is the only one to have introduced prescription charges (i.e. raised them from nil to something as opposed to increasing existing charges)).

Graham

Hi,

I am a floating voter, of English descent, living in Wales. A couple of years ago I wrote to a "resting" MP, saying I would vote for whoever did away with the Severn Bridge Toll, and/or built more public conveniences.

I got a courteous and sympathetic reply. But no promises.

There was another request, but I forget what it was.

Archived