Maintenance on the Continent? (oil change, batteries, etc.)

Hi

I have a 2004 VW T4 petrol/benzin motorhome in Europe (off warranty). I'll soon need to do an oil change, maybe get a new battery, etc.

Here in N. Am. we wouldn't go to a dealer for such generic maintenance tasks - we would go to non-dealer chains like Jiffy Lube, Midas, Walmart Lube Centre, Sears, Speedy Muffler, etc., which are considerably less expensive than a dealer.

I'll be in Benelux, Germany & maybe a few other countries in about a month.

Are there any tips for chains or outlets for such things?

Any countries cheaper than others?

I particularly would like to change the oil & likely get a new battery.

Thanks,

Frank in Toronto

Why not change the oil and filter yourself?

10 minute job.....assuming you're handy.

In my experience (in Spain) the non-dealer type fitting places are pretty good, certainly normally m,iles leess costly than main dealer prices, and pretty cheap.

Just make sure they actually put in the exact spec of oil that you want....in many of them you can even supply your own purchases new engine and they'll use it, but may charge you maybe 5 euros (a sort of corkage fee, as they ain't then getting the profit margin on the stuff they would otherwise have used).

Another thought as a by-the-way: nowadays of course you don't have to use a main dealer for such routine maintenance anyway in order to maintain your warranty, just someone who is competent, and uses either original parts or equivalent spec parts/materials.

Just hang on to receipts and get them to mark your log book thingy as to when they changed oil etc, just as a main dealer would.

Hi Frank

Have a look at the "Kwik-Fit" chain website for Europe.

They do these kind of services, BUT I don't know if they cater for anything other than cars.

Their chain includes ' Pit-Stop' in Germany, 'Speedy' in France and 'Kwik-Fit' in G.B. and the Netherlands.

Have a good trip.

Thanks all for your replies!

I don't think I'll change it myself - I'm on the road with no disposal mechanism for the old oil.

I tried to buy a battery from Feu Vert last year, but they said I had to go a truck parts location for my battery - for the life of me, I couldn't understand their instructions on how to find one. This year I'll only be in Benelux & Germany - I think I may have some luck. Anyone know if there is there a large generic auto parts chain in these countries?

I found the Kwik-fit/Pit Stop web page & will try them for oil, as long as they take my motorhome. It is small enough that it fits into such places over here, but I guess I'll see when I get over there. If they need a hoist, it's unlikely, but if they change from a pit, it should be no problem.

Thanks again to all who responded & helped me out on this - the ATU site is very useful to me.

I'd like to avail myself of the buy-in-UK option, however I keep my motorhome on the continent, so that would require that I ferry acroos & back! B-)

I'm getting the sense that the pricing differences between countries on the continent are marginal at best.

Archived