ferry fares

zeddykay

Just been looking at fares for departure to France from Dover early September and returning early October.

Sea France "saver" fares booked direct came to £76 return for 5.5m van , which is pretty much what I paid last year. Norfolk line prices in the stratosphere!

Interestingly Camping and Caravan Club website wanted £108 for the same crossing. So much for benefits of club membership, or am I missing a trick?

it does pay to shop around, but there are so many variations due to time of travel and day of the week etc. If you ring the two main clubs and tell them you have had better (genuine) quotes they will try there best to beat or match.

We collect tesco coupons and travel across using euro tunnel, this year it cost me £1.00, now that takes some beating! (lol)

If travel timing was not of the essence how about

arriving unbooked at the terminal just before a sailing and asking if there is a spare space for your vehicle. If the reply is yes make a much reduced offer.

You may need to stand your ground and ask to speak to a supervisor, suggest a part fare is better business than none at all. Of course if they call your bluff you may need to go elsewhere. Supply and demand or what?

Also it can pay to try booking one way and with different operators.We did this for our last trip and got the price for a 6m van down to under £50.

LD lines are also offering some low fares and have a new high speed catamaran on the Dover Boulogne run

Norfolk Line fares are really high when booked direct, as they are adding on a length surcharge.

When booked through CC site they come out much cheaper.

LD Lines are good at the mo. Just booked a one way for 6.7m van in August for 42 GPB.

As we travel with a dog, we tend to book the France to England crossing with a carrier who charges an each way price for pets i.e LD Lines, P&O.

We then book the England to France trip with carriers who don't charge for dogs on that leg i.e SeaFrance and Norfolk Line.

Archived