Aire/campsite suitable for visiting D Day Landings?

kevandali

Hi Everyone

I am landing in Calais on the 3rd August and travelling down south. Just decided that I will visit the Normandy D Day landing sites and memorials before heading south.

Does anyone recommend a particular area to visit and the availability of a campsite or Aire.

As always, all information much appreciated.

HI,

We travelled down from cherbourg a couple of weeks ago and visited the landing sites, no problem with overnight stops. A free Aire in a very nice field at utah beach next to the museumand superb beach to wander along with interesting artifacts and gun implacements to look at all very thought provoking. There is a very good municiple site in the centre of Arromanches 18euro a night excellent facilities very clean, good museum and the beach has the remains of the mulberry harbours and a 360 degree cinema with a film of the landings lots of restaraunts and cafe's very interesting area lots to look at. lots of places to service the camper and top up with water, the camp at Arromanches has full service faciliteis for camper vans.

We continued our trip and took in Mont st michel very busy, very good Aire for overnight at 8euro (pay at the hotel vert before entering the barrier to get the security code for them) Enjoy the trip.

Guest Tracker
There are plenty of Aires all along that coast but why not get the Vicarious Book of Aires as it is in English, has all the Sat Nav coordinates and is fairly accurate.

Guest JudgeMental
Do you have a sat nav? if yes let us know which make I am sure someone will send you a file of all the Aires.......

Camping Municipal Bayeux, nice site situated on the ring road opposite Mc donalds , five minutes walk into town and the British war cemetery and a short drive to the beaches and the American cemetery, plus you can see the Bayeux tapestry in town, no admitance to the site till after 2 o clock but plenty of places to park if you arrive early

Archived