Unpleasant experience

Poppy

Went to a campsite the other night.Pleasant in itself BUT we were made to feel very unwanted by several people including some of the staff.It was Dutch and everything about it was in Dutch, information,food,menus etc.Not French/Dutch.No French there and only a coupleof British.I don't know why they disliked us so much, maybe because we are English, maybe (and this is what I suspect) because of my husbands colour!!!! It was hinted at by one of the staff.We have been to Holland several times, found the people warm and welcomingand enjoyed ourselves.On our current campsite,which is lovely,we met a mixed race and charming Dutch couple.We have never met anything like this in over 25 years of camping in Britain and Europe.

Hello Poppy. I was sorry to hear of your experience. It could be your visit is not well timed at present. The ultra-rightwing Freedom Party of Geert Wilders scored its biggest victory yet in the recent Euro Elections. They took 17% of the vote, which is second place and won 4 seats of the 25 available. To put that in context that is like the BNP taking 12 seats here rather than the 2 they actually won. The Right has been gaining ground in many countries so a bit of research on the internet about intended destinations may be a wise precaution, appalling though that it should be necessary. If you are a mixed race couple that may, sadly, be red rag to a bull in some sectors of Dutch society.

Given too that recent forum postings have indicated anti-motorhome sentiment in Holland, especially on Sunday nights for some reason, caution would seem to be wise.

Good luck for the rest of the trip and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable time.

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

The Dutch tend to herd on mass and are renowned for dominating certain campsites in the South sounds like you found one! Year after year they return to the same site....relationships are built and if you end up camping on one of these sites it will probably feel a bit unpleasant.....

Last year while looking at site reviews for Lake Maggiore, and as the Dutch get everywhere, I sometimes use the Dutch site “Zoover” for reviews. I found the large campsite I was looking for, only to find a load of bad reviews from other Dutch recommending to go elsewhere because of the unpleasant attitude of their fellow countrymen. I also vaguely remember a site in The Dordogne being mentioned before for this........What site is it?

Yes the far right are on the rise, but let’s hope the reason for your experience is as above rather than outright racism. The “Dutch only” site information you mentioned tends to support this I think. I have always found the Dutch pleasant and good company with the odd exception and incidentally my wife is Asian as well.

The site is called La Draille and it is in Souillac in France. It is in the ACSI.Judge your comments are interesting and we have been to very Dutch sites in France occasionally but never have we met anything like this before.Our overall experiences of the Dutch both inside and outside of Holland have been very positive up until now.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2009-06-12 1:27 PM

The site is called La Draille and it is in Souillac in France.

QUOTE]

Quote from Zoover:

"It is a Dutch Christian camping."

So it looks like you found an exclusively Dutch, Christian fundamentalist campsite.....better planning is needed I think! lol

your lucky they did not eat you................

Hi Poppy,

I think I know the site , Ah well is'nt great you have your motorhome and can move on . I have found the Dutch to be very nice, but you are correct some sites are a little funny. Maybe the just want it all to them selves. I think Motorhomers/Caravanners love mixing and meeting people.

Put it down to a bad experience, loads of nice sites out there and loads of nice people.

Regards,

Brendan.

Poppy - 2009-06-12 10:45 AM

Should have added that although the site was Dutch it was actually in the south of France near the Dordogne.

Sorry, Poppy, when I read your post I understood you were in Holland. I was pleased to hear you're not, so you could easily escape the nasty people you encountered. Like others have said I have found the Dutch generally pleasant when I have met them on various sites and frankly, I'm shocked that they should have that attitude when they are not even on home turf. I've noted the site so as to avoid it. The more I read about the Freedom party in Holland itself though, the more concerned I am for the medium-term future of their society.

Bob

wild rover - 2009-06-12 10:11 AM

That sounds awful, Poppy! Bob, how can I find the thread about the Dutch disliking motorhomes? I'd like to have a look.

Pam

Pam the largest thread was "Holland-Attacked Motorhome". There was another referring to incidents in towns/villages on Sunday nights but "search" has not yielded it yet. I should add we have been to Holland several times without incident but had only used commercial sites in that country.

Bob

perhaps its their style on campsites changes. Just like the germans meet them anywhere other than the sunbeds round the pool and their great people.

the british also seem to change at football related gatherings.

with the dutch it must be their campsites re living the boer war perhaps.

Oh Poppy ,

Sorry for you guys I just wished I was there I would of spoilt there quiet time with a bloody big party One love .

I dont know the worlds gone mad .Ignorant gits .there problem not yours .

I hope the rest of your holidays was not spoilt .

Hi Poppy

Here's the link if you want to have a read ... I remember it all tooooooo well!

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12051&start=1

In Holland itself we did find a lot of the Dutch very ignorant, one chap who was very much the exception, on one of the new Dutch aires, actually said himself that 'foreigners' weren't always made welcome in his country.

We did, on our first trip abroad in 2005, stay on a campsite in France, lovely little site a bit out of the way (can't remember exactly where!) but it was absolutely stuffed with Dutch campers. We got one of the last pitches just for the one night and got settled down, BBQ out, awning out etc, as it was a lovely sunny evening and sat out. Then all hell broke loose as one of the Dutch campers had overloaded the site electrics and blown the lot - it took ages to get sorted and the 'wrath' of the other Dutch campers was plain to see ... we soon worked out what type of things they were saying and we don't speak the language!!! :D I expect if we'd done it, we'd have been unceremonially 'pickled'!!! :$

JudgeMental - 2009-06-12 2:03 PM

Poppy - 2009-06-12 1:27 PM

The site is called La Draille and it is in Souillac in France.

Quote from Zoover:

"It is a Dutch Christian camping."

So it looks like you found an exclusively Dutch, Christian fundamentalist campsite.....better planning is needed I think! lol

What can one say about religious groups with a god given right to be correct in all things moral and spiritual?

Christian ""love thy neighbour "" seems to have slipped by on this camp site ?

Rgds

Poppy - 2009-06-12 7:43 PM

Thanks for the suport. It means a lot.AND I might just write that s**tty letter.

Probably a letter to the local Marie (mayor) explaining your problem and were not willing to stay in the area, loss of revenue to the village etc. Would probably have the Marie and local gendarms at the gate !!

The catholic French can be quite anti Dutch when they set there mind to it !

Rgds

Sorry to hear of your experience. We've always found the Dutch to be very welcoming, liberal and tolerant, and not prone to making racist comments. I've always assumed this to be because most of their lunatic, religious racists had emigrated and colonised South Africa, but lift a stone....

Hi,

Very OT ........ but I have been told that the Dutch (government?) are buying up large areas of Spain. Something to do with Holland being below sea-level, plus climate change. ???

So arm yourself with a few aerosol canisters.

Archived