Teething problems with my new van. Ha ha....

Becky

I was a dentist before retiring. Someone has just phoned me re a dental problem.

Anyway, collected my beautiful Autosleeper Ascot last Thursday and drove to a site near Bath (for 5 days), which necessitated driving through the city at rush hour. But I needn't have worried, no-one else was driving up those narrow nearly vertical back alleys anyway. I had to use the pavement to avoid trees and many parked cars. Still, I got there.

The point is that the framework of the seating in the rear lounge has come away from the sides, and I am sure it was going up those steep road. The handbrake wouldn't hold on one where there was a cross road, and I had to use the clutch to help. Made the van jump about a bit :-( :-(

Then the batteries went flat. At least they were down to 11.3-4 V by each morning and I was out all evening, and used practically no lights. I used a lantern one evening as there as so little leccy left. I had to go for a drive each day as it was.

I would say that 11.4 is very low, even for a deep cycle battery. And I didn't use anything that wasn't essential, like the water pump and toilet flush.

Window in the door was cracked around the bottom, not very badly, but it would get worse.

Just mainly silly little things, except the batteries and the furniture frame.

But the van itself is just lovely, easy to drive and park, nice to live in and mainly very good. The leccy thing was a pain with no hook-up. And I was away for 5 days, so a drive each day helped. But by evening, the voltage was too low to run the TV properly, in my opinion anyway.

I go away to C&CC Photogroup meets which are always on special sites, like rugby club pitches for example, as was the case this time. But you do need a van with large or at least reliable batteries.

I also need a new habitation door window, some trim tidying up, and the waste tank sensor checked as it didn't see to work.

I will be fitting my fuel cell, but not until the battery problem is sorted.

The service manager at Marquis, Paul, seems to be competent so hope fully all will be put right.

Am I right to believe that below 11.5 v is getting to damage battery level?

Sorry to hear about your problems Becky.

I suggest you make a list of them, in order of importance, and take the service manager round the van to see them all. Then get him to tell you how long he wants the vasn for to fix them all at one go, and what he'll give you to drive in the meantime!

Be pleasant but firm - but I don't have to tellyou that, you're a dentist :-D !

Keep us informed how they treat you - we're watching them >:-( !

i tpok the van in today when I had returned from Bath, with my list.

He photgraphed the problems and is sending the pisc to A/S for comments and advice.

Then he will have some idea as to how to fix the probs and how long to allow.

Shame to spoil a lovely van for just silly things. The screws that popped out were really just not long enough when screwed into soft ply.

I will keep you all informed, especially if things go badly.

Regards Becky

Hi Becky

We had the same battery problem with our Autocruise Sportstar.

The Peugeot dealer said it's possible that the Battery gets lazy as it is stood for a period from delivery from the manufacturer to the dealer then to the M/H manufacturer (ours was approx 5 months) with very little use.

Then we expect to put high loads on the Battery. I could not get it to keep a charge on a home charger. The Dealer needed to put it on a high boost charge (not sure if that is the right term) for 48 hours to clear the Battery plates and get a full charge into it.

Flicka

Becky, I was an electrical engineer and because your van was standing for some time I would put money on the battery being sulphated up because it was left with no charge in it. Similar storey with mt original Swift Bolero.

So go to Marquis and get them to fit new batteries. should be one habitation under drivers seat and one in accomodation ares. the second battery under drivers seat is for the engine.

Regards Mike

I could be wrong, but we are constantly reading about peoples' tales of grief and woe with their new vans, and subsequent problems about the time and inconvenience involved in getting everything put right.

Surely, there is included in the contract between dealers and manufacturers a financial consideration for the dealer to give the vehicle a thorough pre delivery check, which should cover things like dodgy batteries, loose fittings etc., before we take delivery? If they do it, they must be incompetent, or perhaps they don't do it to save themselves a few quid to boost their profits, confident in the knowledge that if the poor old punter finds all the faults for them, they can then claim the cost of rectification under the warranty scheme and make a bit more money.

That in itself is bad enough, but if you are taking delivery of your new van shortly before you set off on your big, once a year, eagerly anticipated trip then the stress and anxiety of getting it all put right in time are awful, and not fair.

We did that two years ago, although ours was a used van. The dealer was lovely to us at every stage,even gave the missus a nice bunch of flowers, but on our short shakedown trip we found that the charging unit didn't work, the fridge didn't run on 12 volt, and the onboard generator wouldn't start, and most of the sealant was missing from the joint between the body and the cab. It took 5 x 180 mile visits to the dealer to get everything put right, three of them after the holiday in Southern France with a dodgy fridge and flat batteries. At all times they were lovely to us, just not very good at their job.

So my advice is to rant and rave, jump up and down on the desk and give them as much hassle, stress and disappointment as they have caused you.

Of course, in your unique situation, you could offer them a good deal on some treatment, and give them the same level of competence and satisfaction that they have given you.

AGD

We had loads of teething problems with our new van too. The latest was that the support for the table in the wardrobe fell off. Only had 2 very short screws instead of 3 longer ones. It now has longer screws. This is an Auto Sleepers Symbol but we know you must carry loads of long screws as things used to fall off our Auto sleepers Trident. Easy to put right but it would be much better if it was done properly in the first place.

Archiesgrandad - 2009-06-17 11:01 AM

I could be wrong, but we are constantly reading about peoples' tales of grief and woe with their new vans, and subsequent problems about the time and inconvenience involved in getting everything put right.

Surely, there is included in the contract between dealers and manufacturers a financial consideration for the dealer to give the vehicle a thorough pre delivery check, which should cover things like dodgy batteries, loose fittings etc., before we take delivery? If they do it, they must be incompetent, or perhaps they don't do it to save themselves a few quid to boost their profits, confident in the knowledge that if the poor old punter finds all the faults for them, they can then claim the cost of rectification under the warranty scheme and make a bit more money.

You're not wrong Bill, there is indeed supposed to be money built into the deal on a new van, both for PDI and any later warranty work. What we keep hearing though is that dealers don't think it's enough. "They'll only pay us £xx an hour."

This has always seemed strange to me. When you or I take a vehicle in for work that's NOT under warranty, the dealer tells US how much he's going to charge, he doesn't ask us how much we're willing to pay!

So I'd have thought that dealers, especially the big ones who seem to produce 90% of the dissatisfaction, would be telling the converters "This is our hourly rate, and the job you want us to do (pre-del insp, specific warranty job, etc) will take this long" - just as they would to an individual paying customer of their workshop.

However, since that would drive up overall prices in a tight market, they'd rather skimp on this to keep the price down, and then blame the (usually inaccessible) converter!

I'm just glad I went to a small converter, with a single retail dealer, for "Roxie." Both firms have been approachable and helpful throughout the past couple of years - ie both before and since purchase!.

I suspect that you are right, Mike. By the way, your van was looking nice, in the opposite corner to mine.

I had to go to the van today, after leaving yesterday with 12.5v in the leisure batteries. Today, with everything switched off, the voltage is 11.7. And this just overnight.

I have been to the storage place today and there is a new business strated who do maintainance on vans, and they are going to fit my EFOY for £78, i.e. 2 hours work.

Premier quoted around £300. Marquis didn't quote because they had never done one, and weren't keen to try.

The thing that worried me the most was the metal framework under the rear lounge area pulling away from its mountings. Marquis have seemingly gone back to A/S for info on this point. The repairers immediately suggested that the screws holding the frame in place have missed the metal plates fixed in the walls to take the load and moving them (the screws) over a bit to the plates (which you can identify with a magnet by the way) would solve the problem.

I like reasonable sensible suggestions and cures for problems, and if the Efoy goes in well, I will save all my mods and improvements for them to do. (lol)

Following on the comment that preparing the van for the customer is included in the purchase price, I had a front bulb not working, so they hadn't even checked the lights.

Still, I will indeed push hard for the work to be done as soon as possible so I can get out and enjoy my new 'van.

Beats me why anybody bothers to change vans to a new one. It took me all of 5 years to get my brand new van right. I know that some of you have experienced similar. Just as you think, at last, all is well, something else goes wrong, time after time. Frankly, I have taken the view, after five long stressful years, that now I have got the van right [touch wood], nothing in the world would induce me to buy new, I ain't putting myself through that again. If you are changing or buying first time, then seriously consider buying second hand. Let the previous owner have sorted out the problems. Me, I am keeping my van for the duration or at least until the manufacturers and some dealers stop treating their buying public as mugs.

ps: The only thing I never did do was consider cutting my losses and selling - motorhoming is too much fun for that!!

Hi, we didn't buy a brand new van, but an 18 month old one, and have had loads of teethingproblems:

The bracket on the table had broke (causing a chinese take away to land on our floor the first time we were out in it)

The electrics kept tripping (caused by the element in the combi boiler)

Engine Battery keeps going flat

Door doesn't shut properly (unless you really really slam it)

Central locking doesn't work properly

Toilet had slightly come away from the bottom

Leak under the bed

Control panel completely knackered

Small crack on the roof

Windscreen mirror fell off

Wheelarch flaps when we are driving

Majority is sorted now, control panel arrives tomorrow and we are fitting it ourselves, saves taking the van back to the dealer as we are every weekend campers!

The door, the crack on the roof and the wheelarch is going to be sorted under the swift warranty at a swift dealer nearer us. They have taken photos and we are currently waiting to hear.

It does take the joy out of purchasing the mh of your dreams when there is so many things wrong.

*-)

Hi,

Looks like new bat' needed . Check and make sure there is nothing left turned on. As pointed out already it may be an old battery and you just may need to extract (pun) it.

Sorry to hear of your prob's but in the present climate surly buying local is good A/S group even abroad is looked on as a good build. Lets hope the dont let that slip.

Regards,

Brendan

We purchased our first m/h last year and she is 20 years old and I am glad to say that we haven't had half the problems mentioned in this thread, we were thinking of trading up to an A class, but are having secound thoughts now. Is there a particular make of van to steer clear of?

Hi Mike

We have a Swift Kontiki 665S, 2007. It is the layout we have been wanting for ages, originally wanted the 665P but it only had one seatbelt, which isn't good for a 4 person family!!

It was a new model in 2007, so the secondhand ones are only just appearing!

The van itself is superb, drives nicely and the layout is just ideal!

When we were looking to change our van at the end of last year top of our list was an Autosleeper (Nuevo)..I am so glad that we didnt spend the extra £8-10,000 and decided to stick to another Elddis (explorer group), supposed to be a cheap entry level van but some of the stories of problems with Autosleeper are incredible

cornishjojo,

Thought it might be a Swift. I had a Bolero and tha door would only shut with a hard slam. In the end the door started to fall apart, I was told that Swift had a bad batch of doors. So give the door a carefull check especially around the area where the hinges are fixed to the door. I gave up and got rid of my Bolero after a few months with lots of problems. Hope yours is or gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Mike

Yes, re door, our friends recently bought a Swift Voyager, not long before we bought ours, as it was brand new it was from a swift dealer (we didn't purchase via a swift dealer - still a dealer but just not swift!). They having same problems with their door, and they were told the same as you were, and a door is on order for them, I then told our dealer the same when they looked at our door. Our friends however have been told by their dealer that swift are not sending our any new doors at the moment ;-( prior to that they had been told 8 weeks. Apparently the new doors are 100% better. Fingers crossed it will be fixed to our satisfaction!

OUr previous van was an eldis!

Archived