Dog owners Travelling to France

David Dwight

Further to my post of sometime back regarding Sand flies.

Do's anyone know of a preventative product available in the UK, that is campatible with Frontline. Avantix is very good but not campatible.

We have been in contact with our Vet he was not a lot of help.

David

We were recommended a Scalibor collar for treating a dog against sand flies. It also prevents ticks so you don't need the Frontline. We take the collar off a few days before visiting the vet on the way home so she (the dog) does not get a double dose. The other advantage of the Scalibor is it last up to 5 months and costs about £10 for a medium size to fit our Springer.

Thanks folks,

Been back to the Vet today and he has ordered one for us should be with us for Monday we hope so anyway as we are off on Tuesday.

The Vet suggested that other time we use Advantix as this acts as a repellent as well, we would need to take some with us for the French vet to use, as that is not compatible with Frontline. Our Vet is no longer using Frontline.

David.

Make sure that Advantix is an 'accepted' treatment so that you don't have difficulties getting through the pet passport (PP) check - our Belgian vet used the wrong stuff, fortunately the PP didn't spot it (we didn't know either). It was only on a subsequent trip that the French vet we saw on the return trip realised the other vet's mistake!

Advised by our vet to use Advantage prior to and during stay as it treats ticks etc and french vet prior to our return used Advantix - think both products may be produced by same company but certainly campatible. Had no problem with passport control. Incidentally our vet is German and regularly travels to and from continent with his dog.

Arranged vet through La Chaumiere campsite - they were excellent and everything couldn't have been more smooth.

Just got back from France and we were given "Advocate"by our vets, so we didn't have to buy stuff from a French vet. However it turned out to be not on the official list supplied by DEFRA. The French vet, (at Gravelines), tried to check with the ferry company, apparently they are responsible for checking the pet passport, but couldn't get a definative answer so he used Frontline. They also give the dog a worming tablet.

The official book states, Frontline, Advantage and Advantix and nothing else. Advocate is a newer and more powerful treatment but because it isn't in the book it ain't good enough.

We also used a Scalibor collar and sprayed the with Frontline too every 2 months and had no problems at all.

You will need to take the pet passport with you to the vets in France because they stamp it. Some campsite also check the passport before accepting your booking, (and depending on the breed of dog, the police will ask to inspect it), so keep it handy!

Hi,

I had to take our westie to the vet todayi n SW France as she had become unwell we have been giving her frontline and this was last done at the weekend but I removed a couple of very big tics from her on thurs and she was still unwell today. The vet said that there are a lot of tics at the moment and they appear to be resistent to frontline he took her temperature, did a blood test, gave her 3 injections and has given her a course of antibiotics and anti inflametries she should be back to normal in a couple of days He advised advantex which is applied every 2 weeks which I have now given her. She has perked up a lot now. hope this info mightbe useful to you doggy lovers.

Regards geoff

I'm sure that ticks are becoming resilient to Frontline - I have also used a product called Stronghold (which I think is from the same company), and in common with other people always treat my dogs before we leave as I'd rather they didn't get any ticks at all - let alone bring any back. The other precautions I take are to check them over after a walk if it's been on grass and if there are cattle around (even though my dogs don't chase them), I keep them on a lead and make sure they don't sniff any dung (which my little one delights in - rolling in and eating too given a chance!) as they could ingest eggs from worms. I also have some of the spray on frontline which I use around the legs and neck area as these places tend to be where ticks seem to land - just don't overdo it as my vet said you could actually do the dog harm.

I use the Frontline pippets that go on the back of the neck and wouldnt use it less than every 8 or 9 weeks!! if you comb and inspect your dog regulally and have one of the tick removal plastic things you buy from the vet on hand that should do. I havent seen a tick for years we only had trouble once with them in Scotland and managed to remove it easily. I bought a collor for leasimasia (sp) last year and didnt need to use it! I think your more likely to make your dog ill from overdozing on these chemicals than by not using them I have treat my chihuahua just three times this year working the dates out so that the visit to the France Vet fell at 8 weeks.

Geoff Cole - 2009-06-20 8:59 PM

Hi,

I had to take our westie to the vet todayi n SW France as she had become unwell we have been giving her frontline and this was last done at the weekend but I removed a couple of very big tics from her on thurs and she was still unwell today. The vet said that there are a lot of tics at the moment and they appear to be resistent to frontline he took her temperature, did a blood test, gave her 3 injections and has given her a course of antibiotics and anti inflametries she should be back to normal in a couple of days He advised advantex which is applied every 2 weeks which I have now given her. She has perked up a lot now. hope this info mightbe useful to you doggy lovers.

Regards geoff

I use the Frontline on the back of the neck about every nine weeks! where do you think your Westie picked the ticks up Geoff? had you been in woods of farmland? every two weeks seems a lot to me it took me years before I would use the pippets I used the spray on my last dog as one vet said to me it was safer not having to go through the liver and into the blood stream! its marvellous how they chance their minds about chemicalls isnt it?? I hope your little Westie soon is back to normal. We have just got back from 4 weeks in Germany and France looks like we were lucky Im now going to worry about our next trip. :-S

Ah well the Vet has not come up with the goods as yet, he say's it should be in by 8-00 Tues morning. Well if not its too late we will just have to use spot or hope we can pick up some Advantix in France. Not bothered about ticks as there is enough of them in this country, we only nee to go for a walk over the heathland behind us and collect them, we just check the dog when we get back and get them off got quite a dab hand at this over the years, using a whittled down clothes peg, I was given this tip by someone on Exmoor.

David

David Dwight - 2009-06-22 9:09 PM

Ah well the Vet has not come up with the goods as yet, he say's it should be in by 8-00 Tues morning. Well if not its too late we will just have to use spot or hope we can pick up some Advantix in France. Not bothered about ticks as there is enough of them in this country, we only nee to go for a walk over the heathland behind us and collect them, we just check the dog when we get back and get them off got quite a dab hand at this over the years, using a whittled down clothes peg, I was given this tip by someone on Exmoor.

David

Why dont you try another Vet Dave? ours had one in stock when we asked about it last year! Ive still got it but its out of date! still in box.

Archived