Merc Sprinter Panel Van Conversions

GerryJ

There seem to be few converters of the Sprinter panel van. I don't mean coachbuilts or low profiles or A-class, but converting the panel van itself. I know of IH and Devon, but most of the continentals seems to convert only on the Fiat or its derivatives. Can anyone suggest a place to look for Mercedes Sprinter panel van conversion?

There seems to be companies about that will convert your own vehicle, or will help you to source a suitable vehicle, then convert it for you.There was a free supplement with last months magazine that listed many of the better known converters and told you a bit about them. Alternatively if you click on Business Directory on this site, then Motorhomes, then conversions you may find the information you're looking for.

Murvi listed a Sprinter based Morello in their April 2008 price list.

Their site is:-

http://www.murvi.co.uk/morello.htm

I would have liked a Sprinter base vehicle but because they are rwd, inline drivetrain etc., you lose a lot of internal space (approx 44cm compared to the Ducato) when compared to a similar 6m external length fwd panel van. I settled on a Renault in the end.

Best Regards

We have had our Mercedes Sprinter IH conversion for 3 months now and it is absolutely fantastic. We chose the 150bhp automatic gearbox on the long wheelbase chassis which is 7m long. We,re just back from the Loire and averaged 24mpg including fast cruising on the motorway. We've had no quality issues on either the base vehicle or the conversion.

We had looked at the Devon conversion which had the fixed bed and small lounge at the front but preferred the layout of the IH. Also the quality of both the design and build quality is first class and dealing with both Ian and Nicola Hartley is an absolute pleasure. They may be expensive but if you want quality they are value for money.

Hi - NVC (nu venture Campers) from Wigan did ours last year to our very own high spec and design. They did a brilliant job, on time and to our satisfaction - highly recommended. (no pesonnel connection). Based on 150hp auto long van with most of the toys.

dicksob - 2009-06-20 10:02 PM

We chose the 150bhp automatic gearbox on the long wheelbase chassis which is 7m long.

That illustrates nicely the varying requirements that we all have. I was seeking a day van, 2-3 midweek nights van, 6m max., to negotiate the Lakeland and Scottish back roads and I didn't feel brave enough to contemplate a 7m vehicle for this.

Cheers

ColinS

I cannot understand why Autotrail droped the Merc option from their list, offering only the unreliable Fiat X250.

Following our enlightening experience with Fiat and there attitude, I like many others would only consider another new motorhome with the Merc option only

Melvin I totally agree.If in the market for a coachbuilt a Mercedes or possibly a Transit would be my choice of powertrain.Cynic that I am I suspect the profit margin on a Ducato for the converter is far greater with the Fiat policy of "pile them high and sell them cheap".

However I want a van conversion of under 6 metres and here the Ducato has significantly more living space when compared with the Mwb mercedes/Vw.The Lwb Mercedes to my current thinking is just too long for the type of motorhoming we have grown to enjoy and we would have to widen the lane to get it in the drive!!Now if this means we will have to move then this new van is becoming very expensive!

We have just purchased a merc sprinter based motorhome, after having read all the negative articles concerning the Fiat based vehicles and having a friend who had a bad experience with one. Can't wait for 1st September when we actually get it. From the write ups on the sprinter base I think we have made the right choice...fingers crossed

Archived