Scooter trailer

Happycamper

Hi

I'm considering a side loading trailer but I am a little concerned about the tying situation. My scooter is an Aprilia Atlantic 500 which weighs 200kg, the manufacturer claims the trailer will easily carry the weight. Does any one out there have any experience of this style of trailer. Cheers,Happycamper

If i am right in assuming the style you are on about, why!

I would think these cost more and i cannot see the advantage.

I use a conventional trailer and loading and unloading from the back takes all of five minutes plus i dont have to manouvre the bike when it enters the trailer off the detachable ramp.

I select first gear and drive it on.

200kg is normal for trailers its only when you get to 368kg and above large tourers that they have to be heavy duty.

I built a trailer to carry a couple of small motorcycles. I considered a side loader but it either ends up rather high to take the bikes above the trailer wheels or the bike goes either in front or behind the trailer axle. In the end I went for convention and load from the back, drive straight on until the drivers footpegs rest on a couple of timber supports. Then ratchet strap it down and its not going anywhere!.

C.

Hi. I used a standard trailer too. One of the ones that tips up so that you just scoot the scoot on. Tie downs in all 4 corners and away you go. This trailer will carry 250Kg easily. It's a Trigano one.

Actually.... This trailer isn't being used anymore and is available for sale. It's 18 months old and in spanking condition. £350 secures it.

Let me know if you're interested. I have photos....

Jimmy

PS. Sorry if I'm not supposed to flog things on this bit of the forum.

spartan3956 - 2009-06-21 9:23 PM

The small the trailer the harder to reverse

Very true!

Short tractor/long trailer = easy reversing. Long tractor/short trailer = tricky reversing.

Still, I always managed to get it where I wanted... Reversing camera a necessity!

Jimmy

Archived