Fiat Ducato Engine Problems

arto steve

I have a 2004 Niesmann Arto with a 2.8 JTD engine. When the engine is hot and working hard (uphill in third) and above 2500 rpm the engine noise becomes harsh and the injection fault light comes on. If I then try to change to fourth, the engine is completely flat with no power. Back into third and the problem repeats. If I ease off the throttle the injection fault light goes out and all appears well. I have driven all over the country with no problems, but this fault usually occurs on one particular hill near home when I have to change down for a sharp bend. The problem does not show up when the vehicle is stationary, and I don't want to go to a garage for them to find nothing.

Has anyone got any ideas.

Guest Tracker

Rather than pay a garage to find nothing have you tried simply asking them for an opinion?

It seems that, although intermittent your problems does seem quite well defined and maybe a good diesel mechanic might just know exactly what to do?

Greetings Steve,

If you fancy having a go at diagnosing the fault yourself, you might like to try this...

With the engine nice and cool, lift up the two clips at the front of the top cover of the engine and lift it away from the back part. You will now see the electrical cables that go to the injectors. With the engine running you can safely wiggle the wires back and forth (without trying to unplug them) and should be able to provoke a mis-fire. If that is the problem (and it almost always is) you will know which plug connector is faulty. No amount of poking it will cure the problem and you will have to replace the plug. Unfortunately the plugs are not available unless you buy a complete loom! If you try this and I am right, send me a private message and I will try to help with the part and with finding someone to do the job for you if you don't know a good auto electrician.

Good luck.

Nick

Hi,

Remove the electrical plugs on the injectors and spray them with a good electrical cleaner. Plug them in and out a few times and re spray and plug them in. This sometimes solves the problem as you describe and may save you buying a new loom.

Regards,

Brendan.

Archived