France - roadside scams? Anyone know?

machinehead

During a three week trip around France last month I noticed on a number of occasions, two young men (it was always men in their twenties) stopped by the roadside with the boot of their car open.

They always stood out in the road and tried to wave down anyone who would stop. In every case they were aggresive in trying to get you to pull over and stop - edging out in front of your van and causing you to veer away to avoid hitting them.

On one day I even saw the same two men, driving a very new BMW, working the same scam 30 miles apart after we had stopped for lunch for an hour or so. They tried a second time to get me to stop - they must have thought my head has a zip up the back like a teddy bear with no brains. But I pity those who do stop.

I saw quite a bit of this going on and it's obvious that they are pretending to need help, hoping you will stop then somehow try to scam you.

What I can't work out is what are they doing when people are gullible enough to stop. If it's simple robbery, they are in a very public place with a lot of witnesses so, does anyone know what kind of scam they are operating?

Had it happen in Spain, car in layby bonnet up and two spotters on the opposite side of the road. As we got close the one by the bonnet did the same stood in the road, we just kept going and swerved to miss them. 1/2 hour later, same scenerio, same car etc, only this time we put our foot down and did not swerve, they moved pretty rapid.

We were a bit scared and did not stop for quite a few miles.

Agree with duetto owner - Main thing is DO NOT STOP.

Safe travels

Mike

Randonneur - 2009-07-03 6:00 PM

Can you elaborate on which part of France this happened, we have not heard of any problems here in the Charente.

I think it was while we were driving from Brantome to Noirmoutier so it might have been around Angouleme or Niort. I've seen the same thing in previous years in southern Brittany.

We also saw it happen this year when we were heading south to Montpellier but I can't remember the exact location.

There was never any chance of me stopping but I'm curious as to what the scam is.

Any thoughts?

We had stopped to turn round for a missed turning last year, which was interpreted by two of these types as stopping for them.  They trotted up and spun a hard luck tale about having run out of fuel, and needing funds to continue, against which they were offering a supposedly gold wedding ring in exchange for the requested (can't remember) sum.  We rejected the request (no cash, we said), turned round, went back to our missed turning, and on to our destination.  A while later, on resuming our journey, we saw the same two a few miles further on down the same road, but now on the opposite side, still trying the same routine, so I gave them a toot and a wave as we passed.  Oddly, as I watched in the mirror, they jumped into the car and scarpered.  Presumably they thought we had gone to alert the police, and so made themselves scarce - but they definitely hadn't run out of petrol!  :-)

The scam to rob you that I know of is that one of the group lays in the road as if hit by another vehicle while the rest of the group hide behind the shrubbery and jump out to rob you when you stop. They use the supposed accident as an emotional ploy to get people to stop. Whatever you do DONT stop. If you feel that it might be a genuine accident you can always phone the police from a safe distance down the road and let them sort it out.

machinehead - 2009-07-03 7:41 PM

Randonneur - 2009-07-03 6:00 PM

Can you elaborate on which part of France this happened, we have not heard of any problems here in the Charente.

I think it was while we were driving from Brantome to Noirmoutier so it might have been around Angouleme or Niort. I've seen the same thing in previous years in southern Brittany.

We also saw it happen this year when we were heading south to Montpellier but I can't remember the exact location.

There was never any chance of me stopping but I'm curious as to what the scam is.

Any thoughts?

We are going up to Angouleme this afternoon, its about 30 miles north of us, so will keep an eye out. We are also heading for Southern Brittany after before catching the ferry at Roscoff for our annual visit to the UK so will be on alert and if we see anything we will report on here.

machinehead - 2009-07-03 5:15 PM

I saw quite a bit of this going on and it's obvious that they are pretending to need help, hoping you will stop then somehow try to scam you.

What I can't work out is what are they doing when people are gullible enough to stop. If it's simple robbery, they are in a very public place with a lot of witnesses so, does anyone know what kind of scam they are operating?

This is not confined to France, a similar scam is used in the UK. The aim is to get you to stop and then get access to your vehicle and/or the contents by drawing you away from the vehicle or getting you to go round the back to look at a supposed problem such as a fuel leak. There are many different variations from stealing such as money, passport and electrical goods to attacking you and any passenger and stealing the vehicle and contents.

The UK version is to bump the back of your vehicle with a van or car (often stolen) or trick you into colliding with their vehicle by slowing down then slamming their brakes on. They get you to stop to look at the damage. While this is happening scroat no. 2 jumps in the vehicle and drives it off followed by scroat no. 1 in the car.

Good advice above in not stopping but if you have to, either get your passenger to lock the vehicle and phone for the police or lock your vehicle and if they try to get hold of the keys throw them into the bushes and tell them that the police have been called.

Each circumstance is different so it is a case of making your own decision on personal safety and maybe letting them take the vehicle if the threat is life threatening.

Regards,

Mike.

Guest JudgeMental

This begging for petrol has been going on in London for years.

I have lost count of the number of times the same individual approached my car brandishing a petrol can, while coming home from work (nights) over Vauxhall bridge.......Did not seem to occur to the idiot that most people at 4 in the morning are regulars either returning or going to work and sick of the sight of him.....

he asks for a lift to a petrol station and then asks for the money......He used to ask for money straight up before he realised getting in the car first was a better ploy *-)

Hi again,

And isn't there a law in France that says you MUST offer assistance? Under what circumstances? I understand somebody was successfully prosecuted for man slaughter because the did not help somebody who was injured. ???

This link relates to the death of Princess Diana

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/july-dec97/french_9-3.html

Within the article the scope of France's 'Good Samaritan' law is summarised as

"....a legal obligation in France upon onlookers to an accident to help someone in danger. You have an obligation in France to stop, call for help, and if you can--without endangering yourself--assist someone in danger."

Its all very well having a good Samaritan law but it has a defence

"without endangering yourself--assist someone in danger".

When do you know that you are not in danger.

As an ex police officer i was taught and reminded time after time to make sure of your personnal safety before you assist other.

I took a risk one night helping others and nearly got killed doing it never happened again I got zero help from the public.

Yes call the police if they dont know what is going on they cannot do anything about it get the registration number of the car.

I found Calais a risky place on my last visit illegals asking for lifts food money and was even offered a dog. I dealt with the situations but next time i wont be anywhere near the place to be at risk.

Stay safe

spartan3956 - 2009-07-05 1:22 PM

I found Calais a risky place on my last visit illegals asking for lifts food money and was even offered a dog. I dealt with the situations but next time i wont be anywhere near the place to be at risk.

Stay safe

One more reason to use Dunkirque and Norfolk Line, never seen any illegals there.

For your own safety no - but phone the police from a safe distance, this means you have done something to help. Remember you are a visitor in a foreign country and my answer would be I wouldn't understand what they were saying. Probably not PC but it is up to me to look out for myself and not put myself in danger.

Lock your doors, put mobilephone into action, look as though you are phoning. Have a couple of cards with the name police in the appropiate lingo. Show the card through the window, they scarper.

W3526602 - 2009-07-06 7:23 AM

Hi,

So, if you see a body lying in a French road, are you required to stop?

Run over it first, then stop and give assistance, don't somehow think they will be trying to mug you at that point :D

Big Momma - 2009-07-06 1:41 PM

W3526602 - 2009-07-06 7:23 AM

Hi,

So, if you see a body lying in a French road, are you required to stop?

Run over it first, then stop and give assistance, don't somehow think they will be trying to mug you at that point :D

As an afterthought. If Police ask why you ran over the body lying in the road in the first place you could always use the excuse that you did not see it as you were waving at a fellow motorhomer travelling in the opposite direction :D :D

This has been widely reported on a Brittany ex-pat site recently.These people are neither violent or into distraction thefts.Their MO is to ask for petrol money in exchange for a gold ring which spookily turns out to be fake

Archived