Tour De france

michele

I read Armstrongs biography "23 Days in JUly" which is a good read if you like watching TdF. I have utmost respect for the man. Alberto was outstanding yesterday but i don't think Armstongs finished yet. For me the star yesterday was Bradley Wiggins, perhaps a king of the mountains for the future. Next year the Brit team Sky will make it a bit more interesting too.

Hopesy - 2009-07-20 8:48 AM

I read Armstrongs biography "23 Days in JUly" which is a good read if you like watching TdF. I have utmost respect for the man. Alberto was outstanding yesterday but i don't think Armstongs finished yet. For me the star yesterday was Bradley Wiggins, perhaps a king of the mountains for the future. Next year the Brit team Sky will make it a bit more interesting too.

like most very focussed competitors Armstrong is not particularly likeable, there's a lot of truth in the old adage that nice guys don't win prizes.

as for brit team - Barloworld altho not there this year is technically british

What do we think of Lance Armstrong? I've read his books, he is a very focused guy but probably too brash for my liking. There again he is from Texas.

Maybe he will mellow with age. Eddy Merckx was similarly brash and outspoken in his racing day. A journalist friend of mine met him at the David Raynor memorial dinner a year ago and found him to be rather quiet and a bit shy. Another famous rider from the 70s, Freddy Maertens now runs the Tour of Flanders museum in Belgium and will happy chat to you about all things cycling. Strangely he never won the Tour of Flanders.

Alpe d'Huez is the place to watch the TOF. Cycle up mid morning taking plenty of food and water, watch the race, then freewheel down the hill back to your transport. It will take you hours to get off the mountain in motorised transport.

Wiggins looks good for a British result. Hang on, wasn't he born in Gent, Belgium

Archived