seatbelts

jillian

Guest JudgeMental

Not sure of the legal situation but I would certainly not carry any one without a seat belt........

Another consideration is have you enough payload to carry 6 and their stuff? most vans haven't, and it is a continuing area of discussion along with seat belts *-)

jillian - 2009-07-12 4:35 PM

can anyone tell me what the laws are now on seatbelts. We have a six berth lunar champ but only 4 seats belts. Are we allowed to carry anyone who does not have a seatbelt.

Legally yes, as long as all belted seats are in use. Whether it's advisable is another matter...

Andy

jillian - 2009-07-12 4:35 PM

Are we allowed to carry anyone who does not have a seatbelt.

This is a link to an earlier seatbelt-related forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15271&posts=10

There are other cross-links within that thread and it will be necessary to explore them all to get the full picture.

Off-the-cuff, I'd say that, if the "anyone" being carried un-belted is an 'adult', it should be OK legally, but, if the "anyone" is a 'child', then it won't be.

Your insurance will be the best guide for this. If they have insured you to carry 6 people in the vehicle then that's OK. If only four then that's your number, otherwise the two people not belted in will not be insured should the unthinkable happen.

If they then collide with someone who is belted up there will be a reduced payout to them too because it could have been prevented.

Give them a ring or check your policy documents for a proper answer though.

Hiya

We found out the answer to this a while back, as we wanted to buy a van that only had 2 belts (including drivers), we wanted to install our own, we were told that this wouldn't pass British standards, they told us though that anyone 14 or older can travel without a seatbelt - their choice.

Although I wouldn't be happy to carry anyone without a seatbelt, hence, we decided to buy a different model.

Archived