Motor power for bike

hallii

Hi,

Transformerbikes I think supply some chinese 2 strokes for fitting to bikes.

50cc,60cc, 70cc engines they may call the 70cc an 80cc.

I think this conversion may now be deemed a motercycle and may incur a motorcycle insurance. Maybe a small moterbike may be a better choice. I was in Cornwall (Penzance) last week and I saw some monkey bikes been sold for around 480 Stg with replica Honda 50cc engines. Small and very light with all lights and Ind' Speedo,Horn etc'

Regards,

Brendan.

Thanks all,

the BlackStar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-STROKE-MOTOR-KIT-For-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-bicycle-

Looks very good but it's in Aus and as with the other 2 stroke conversions when an engine has been fitted to the bike it will need a VOSA inspection and then an immediate MOT. It will have to comply with a long list of things and I don't think it would be worth the hassle.

The chain driven 2 stroke conversion looks a bit dangerous to me, the drive chain runs down by your left calf and is unguarded!

What I want is something that is type approved and so will be street legal from day one.

Looks like it might have to be an electric bike, but charging the battery would involve an inverter and charger? Or can they be charged from 12v?

Geoff

I did give this issue some thought a while ago. I found various 'add-ons' like the Australian one. I then had a look at hard tail mountain bikes with a view to conversion and, personally, I can't see that a steel frame would be strong enough to take the forces generated. Fixing any of these motors involves drilling holes in the frame, which are typically made of mild steel at the cheaper end, and will act as a tear off strip. I looked at electric bike conversions and decided that doing such a conversion was just too much trouble and buying a ready made would probably end up cheaper and easier.

You could, of course, just ride a bike.

Guest JudgeMental

An E Bikes or E bike kit, need no registration, tax or licence or smelly fuel. They are relatively quiet compared to these petrol pushbikes which are horrendously loud (there is a film on you tube) And are completely legal *-)

Plus the stress the drive puts on the rear wheel and bike generally just makes them downright dangerous in my opinion.

various post on pedelecs.co.uk about this and also some details on www.atob.org.uk

There are several people who contribute to pedelecs forum who have attached motors to bikes and are very willing to share their experience and knowledge.

Archived