MPG-Tuning kit/ECU`s have you???

potjoe

We are looking to get more MPG`s ! have you put one on your motor home?

We have autotrail 840 tagg axle and would like to get More MPG`s as only getting about 19mpg so thinking of fitting one on to motor home. (?) (?) (?)

Guest Tracker

I have not tried it but if I did I would certainly need to discuss it with my insurers first as any alteration from standard could affect the premium and if an accident occurred and they found out that you had modified the engine and not told them you could find yourself uninsured.

Next step is to take any manufacturer claims about performance and/or MPG with a large pinch of salt as you are not driving a lightweight vehicle with predictable results.

You also have to consider any warranty issues?

Next is to calculate the amount of miles you will do with the van before you anticipate selling it on - both with and without any modifications.

That way you will know whether it is potentially cost effective or not.

On the other hand if you do it simply to get more ooomph and sod the fuel bill - well that's another aspect entirely!

This has been discussed before and a search might help?

Do please let us all know how you get on.

Hi,

Great advice from Tracker, also take care if you do consider in getting some of the best and well tested ECU kit available. Some can do a lot of damage over time.

I fit quite a lot and yes some do give better MPG but not all.

Regards,

Brendan

It's worth looking at the difference between remapping & tuning modules for diesels.

The principal difference between remapping & the fitting of a tuning module is that the remap is a change to the original programming of a main component of engine management. It can be reversed, usually at extra expense.

A tuning module is a plug-in device which is fitted between engine management & common rail (for most applications) which, very broadly, optimises fuelling.

Not all remaps are the same, not all tuning modules are the same.

(Beware very cheap units which are little more than a resistor which corrupts signals).

A few advantages of tuning modules are:-

1. Adjustable- some have both profile selection & power adjustment

2. Removable- may be taken off at any time by the owner

3. Transferable- may be moved from vehicle to vehicle

If you've never experienced the difference a tuning module makes, you'll be surprised! There is a lot more torque available & although there is variation according to driving style, fuel economy is improved- sometimes quite dramatically.

Has anybody fitted a tuning module & been so unimpressed by the extra mpg & overtaking performance that they've taken it off??

Hi Yes

Sometimes Plug and Play modules can give very poor idle and can cause Mil light to come on esp the cheap ones that are no more than crude devices. Some exp' ones too may I add. I won't go into how simply they are made.

Regards,

Brendan.

It may be worth adding that, before tuning a vehicle, it's sensible to confirm that its motor's present performance is 'normal'. Simple things - like dirty injectors or a clogged air-filter - can significantly reduce power-output and worsen fuel consumption, and there's little point spending money attempting to improve performance until such basic faults are corrected. For example, my Hobby is currently lacking oomph but, as the reason for this is mechanical, ECU-remapping or installing a tuning module won't help.

Archived