IRELAND

howie

Hi. The first three pictures show the Lakeside campsite at Mountshannon on the banks of Lough Derg which makes it a ideal stopover for those heading for the West coast of Ireland. 183 miles from Rosslare (where we stayed at St. Margarets campsite, which is perfect for staying overnight after coming off the ferry from Pembroke or Fishguard ) with enough time to visit places like Tipperary and Limerick without to much time on the road and making it all part of the holiday.

Three more pictures here of the village of Cong where the film 'The Quiet Man' was made. Only called there because my brother in law is a John Wayne fan, but really enjoyed what is a beautiful village and surrounding area. Well worth a visit if you are ever passing that way.

DSCN1056.JPG.67a273fb914edda0d0bc8e7de8cff59b.JPG

712051968_ireland015.jpg.d738a6f72674fab67fa3e4741c53d613.jpg

780056599_ireland034.jpg.feb0fdbf7f5b1770ef09d808a6fb6817.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Howie

Good pix, Angi and I have thought about going over. We have not seen much of the South although I did see plenty of the north in the seventies, through armoured glass most of it LOL. We are thinking of heading south to Cork, thats where grandaddy arrived from all them years ago.

Have you been down that way, if so any tips

Geof

Lough Derg is the area that my ancestors the Hogans came from they were decended from Ogan an Uncle of Brian Boru the High King Ireland who defeated the Vikings in 1014 at Clontatf they are found around N.Tipperary mind you they are scattered in every part of Ireland and if my family is anything to go by most of everywhere else!! :-D

We went to loch Derg a few years ago and my first Chihuahua ended up racing off the end of the jetty straight into the water for his first and last swim. I love going to Ireland but the last time we thought it was expensive we were in the caravan then and stayed near Tralie Castle Gregory but were able to tour round more in the car , we did the Dingle peninsular and the ring of Kerry.

How did you find driving in the motorhome? our caravan was shook to pieces just about on the roads John let some air out of the tyres, as we thoght someone had broken into the van on the ferry the top of a cupboard that was screwed down was lying on the floor.

Your photos are lovely and shows how peaceful it is.

maggyd - 2009-07-30 3:23 PM

We went to loch Derg a few years ago and my first Chihuahua ended up racing off the end of the jetty straight into the water for his first and last swim.

OMG..did he drown? 8-)

I want to go to Ireland and have been saving up my Tesco vouchers towards the (huge) ferry fare. It's not going to happen this year - too much organising to do for the music festival to organise a big trip as well - but next year I'll be there (lol)

No Jan he didnt drown :-D but I couldnt get him anywhere near water again!

Thats the only drawback with Ireland it cost us then £320 and that was a few years ago now you can go over to France for much less, but it is worth going even if you can only go once. The people are so friendly and its like stepping back in time in some places.

Geof & Angi - 2009-07-29 9:49 PM

Howie

Good pix, Angi and I have thought about going over. We have not seen much of the South although I did see plenty of the north in the seventies, through armoured glass most of it LOL. We are thinking of heading south to Cork, thats where grandaddy arrived from all them years ago.

Have you been down that way, if so any tips

Geof

Keeping quiet about your time in Ulster might be a good idea Geof. Don,t come much friendlier or welcoming than the Irish, but not the sort of thing you mention in polite conversation at the local bars.

Passed through Cork many times when heading south, but not really our cup of tea and much prefer the country lanes and 'r' roads that follow the coastline. 'Peace' and 'going back in time' from Margarets earlier posting just about sums what really appeals to us about Ireland, and though the Ring of Kerry is always a 'must' its those out of the way places where you get the real flavour and insight of Ireland thats so far removed from the more popular holiday routes and destinations. Plenty of details of good campsites that i,ve collected over the years, so if you do get to visit that part of the world, then let me know and i,ll post them on.

Hi Margaret. You,ll be pleased to know that the the state of the roads, especially to the west and south, are as bad as ever, but those apart elsewhere is not to bad. Worst places are the N 67 out west and parts of the N 70 that takes you round the Ring of Kerry. No speed limits or cameras needed here as anything approaching 30mph can only be classed as suicidal and having to replace that cupboard door is easily understood. Well remember having to screw or glue back just about every fitting on our Autostratus some years ago, and given that these are such popular holiday routes, especially the Ring of Kerry, amazed that they are still in such a sorry state.

We found that things such as groceries and eating out were very expensive with your normal bar meals almost twice as much as here back home. Site fees averaged out at about 23 euros with deisel slightly cheaper than we usually pay, so not to bad.

The return fare from Pembroke to Rosslare with Irish Ferries cost £220 (end of June/ beginning of July ) and this with a limit up to 8 metres for the van compared with Stenna Line's quote of £270 and extra for anything over the 6 metre mark.

Glad to hear your dog survived its 'first and final' dip, rather ambiguous with your wording, and we to have stayed at Castle Gregory on a previous trip that proved a ideal base for touring the Dingle. Struggled all the way up 'Conner Pass' ( 6ft max width and never again ) to visit what is widely touted as 'the best view in Ireland'. Wonderful view, or so i,m told, as visibility was down to to around 10ft, but still rank the Dingle as up there with the best of them.

Howie I dont think my nerves would stand doing the Dingle pass or is it the Conner pass in a motorhome! we were in a Citreon Zantia when we did it :-D and it was a drizzley day as well but was lovely all the same. But still weve done it so I wouldnt bother again but I would like to stay where you were at Lough Derg as we only passed through briefly.

Lough Derg was one of the many places that deserved more than just a overnight stay Margaret, but as is always the case, trying to see as much as possible in such a limited time is always a compromise of sorts.

Thought you might like this photo taken from the N 86 that overlooks Tralee Bay. Rather far away, but the site at Castle Gregory is just to the left on the coastline with Rough Point and the Seven Hogs islands in the background. Fond memories ( 1998 ) of this campsite that gave you direct access to the beach and long walks through the beautifull rural countryside that typifies everything we enjoy about Ireland and another location that needs more time to explore and appreciate all it has to offer.

DSCN1074.JPG.f8d3377366d40baa63d16d91682e03a5.JPG

Thats a lovely pic; Howie thanks :-D it is a lovely coastline isnt it? did you visit the Schoolhouse and the beach where Ryans Daughter was filmed? if I remember right :-S and my memory isnt as good as it used to be!! the beach wasnt down below the schoolhouse it was further up the coast I think there was quite a drop were the schoolhouse was!! Ill have to dig out old photo,s to check that!

That campsite at Castle Gregory took some getting to but it was worth it being able to walk straight on to the beach.

We went on many holidays to Ireland when I was a child and stayed in Fenit a little place on the coast probably in the picture but couldn't be recognised.

We where there when the filming of Ryans daughter took place and early one morning we went into the cave that they made on the beach with all the scaffolding built up inside for the camera's.

I can't wait to go back and seeing the pictures just makes me want it more.

Thanks Howie!!

Mandy

You lucky thing Mandy :-D I wish I could a have been there then I think that was a lovely film and even moreso when you saw it made, we went in a pub in the area and they had lots of photographs on the walls of the cast ! just dont ask me where it was Im brain dead these days and cant remember the names of places we have just been to never mind 15+ yeas ago. :$

Might have been in the village of Dunquin Margaret where i think i,ve also seen that pub and its collection of photos from the film. Both you and Mandy,s memories are probably right as with most films the shooting would be spread over more than location.

Read up on the web and Castlegregory, along with Dunquin, Fenit and Slea Head, where the scenes from the beach were made are all included in the film. One prime example of this would be from the film the Quiet Man where Victor Macloughlin hits John Wayne in the cottage filmset in Hollywood, and Wayne lands on his backside on the actual street in Cong. Officially recorded as the hardest punch in the history of filmaking, but does give an insight to how the producers put the whole thing together.

Never visited Fenit Mandy, but it does seem the sort of place we would enjoy and i,m posting some photos (hopefully) of some of the places mentioned.

DSCN1077.JPG.423bbcbb9899433a9787a90582358ef8.JPG

800px-Fenit_harbour_ireland.jpg.1f349eb282acc867380ac429093aee12.jpg

800px-RyansDaughterbeach.jpg.32332de3e4488cb9999d1c1d2512e523.jpg

WOW Howie that's impressive!! Fenit has grown so much, my daughter went on a visit to Ireland this year and I made her visit the place and the way she described it sounded alot more housing and commerce than I remember. I made my first real boyfriend there, Michael Slattery a good irish name, he used to write to me for 2 years and started every letter with Darling Sweatheart, never had the heart to tell him ladies perspire and men sweat.

Another bit of trivia on Ryans daughter as we got talking to some of the staff working on the film was that the storm that happens was actually filmed in

Spain, they waited too long for it to happen in Ireland so they had to go to Spain to find one.

Thanks again Howie

Mandy

Heartless woman Mandy. Can think of many reasons that would end a blossoming romance, but a simple spelling mistake is,nt one of them.

Just a final word on the Dingle peninsular before I move on, or backwards really as visiting Dingle came on the latter part of our journey.

For many visitors the town of Dingle is about as far as they go, but there's so much more to see if you follow the R 559 that takes you all the way around the coastal route and offers glorious views of both the Atlantic, and across Dingle bay towards the Ring of Kerry. As always it depends on the weather, but if you catch a fine day then this really is one of the highlights that makes Ireland such a enchanting place to visit.

Archived