LED spotlights in autotrail

peterjl

Hi

We have recently purchased a 2009 autotrail tracker.

When we purchased it the two LED spotlights were flickering, or at least some of the little leds were going off & on randomly. This was happening with both spotlights.

The dealer immediately changed the bulbs and, hey prestow, they worked fine.

We have now had 6 nights away and after 3 nights the leds played the same trick - some of them (and it changed which ones) flickering off randomly.

I don't really want to go back to dealer as its a 200 mile round trip.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or have experience of LED spotlights?

Many thanks

Peter

If they've put "ordinary" 12 volt LED festoon bulbs into a housing designed for spotlight style bulbs, this can happen.

It's (I think) because the ordinary festoon LED bulb has LED's around it's sides as well as on its tip, and thus they get too hot in the very close confines of a spotlight style bulb holder/shroud.....then individual LED's "wink" off and then on again as they overheat, cease working, cool down a bit and start again.

May be worth checking that the bulbs they have fitted only have LED's on their tip.

I changed some of the ones in our MH due to this issue, and the "spotlight specific" style ones have been fine ever since.

Peterjl,

you might need to check that there isn't a loose wire. If you remove both 240v lights from their mountings they will expose two areas where the spotlight wires run, just look inside the holes with a torch and you might find the reason for the fault. You can also fit more spotlights using the same run if you want to.

Archived