Warning to transit Duetto owners etc. Parts thieves

JENIAN

I have a 2001 transit duro torq 2.4 deisel MK6 Duetto campervan fitted with a Selca Cat 1 thatchem alarm. Unfortunately last November the local thieves (bless em) decided they needed a starter motor, mine. Police reaction, Oh dear me, here is a crime number. Police comment, no chance of catching the little dears. last Monday packed up the transit for a few days break and the 'little dears' decided they needed an alternator, yes you've guessed it, mine. Of course the cat 1 alarm does not cover the underneath of the transit. I cannot have a 'trembler alarm' fitted as the local fire station is situated at the top of our street and so sets these alarms off when they are passing.The Van had only been parked for two nights outside the house on the street for maintanance and filling ready for the holiday from it's very secure park 'Cassoa silver award' Can an engine cover be fitted under the van to deter thieves from removing such items so easily both while parked on the street , car parks or even on camping areas. Any other suggestions would be apreciated. Fords cannot help.

Regards Ian

Sounds like locals if they have come back for a second picking.

Don't know of any sump guards for a Transit but it should be easy to get a local metal basher to fabricate a sheet of alloy to cover the accessible areas then you just need to fit a switch wired into your alarm. No point in having it if not alarmed as they have tools to remove the bits they want, a sump guard on it's own won't stop them. I would also use security bolts to fit it.

If the alternator & starter motor are that easy to remove you could always take them off at night. >:-)

There is a 4WD version of the Mk7 transit, for off road work, which I would expect to have sump protection fitted.  Depending on how much the chassis was changed from the Mk6, this may fit, or possibly could be adapted to fit.  Since sump guards are there to protect, it follows they are liable to damage, so should be a readily available standard spare for the vehicle.  Whether such a device would affect overall engine cooling would need to be checked, however.

Ian

I was going to suggest you tried asking the Transit Forum about this, but I see you already have. Some intriguing ideas, though fitting a 'sump guard' is probably the only uncontroversial deterrent.

When people were stealing VW radiator-grille badges in the 1980s (a Beastie Boys thing I believe) it was claimed that one owner had wired his car's grille to the mains and another had set razor blades into the back of the badge.

Hi

Sorry yes you can fit a sump guard The sump guard then needs to be fitted with alarm switches as when an attempt to remove it happens off goes alarm. I also think you may need to install a camera to keep an eye on your van as these guys may come for the wheels next or something else off the van. They may not want the parts just stop you going anywhere.

Be very careful of any other method you may use as it may get yourself in trouble. As George pointed out the old fence trick can cause a lot of problems to the vans computer. Take it easy , step back I think install a camera where you can keep an eye on the van and record any attempt to damage it.

Wish you well, Get away soon and have a good break.

Regards,

Brendan.

I think the cheaper option might be to load, unload and maintain the van at your storage facility. Its a damn nuisance but there you go.

If you live in an area where thieves are prevalent then they will always find a way of pinching something. If they can't get at your engine, then they can get at your wheels or bikerack (if you have one) or do some damage such as keying. You just can't deter these toerags.

onecal vw - 2009-07-26 11:43 AM Hi Sorry yes you can fit a sump guard The sump guard then needs to be fitted with alarm switches as when an attempt to remove it happens off goes alarm. ................ Regards, Brendan.

Alarming the sump guard should be quite straightforward, and is a good idea.  Why not also fit the guard using one or other of the various types of anti-tamper bolts, always assuming it is bolted into place - though you'd need to give your garage the key for any servicing etc.  You'll never completely eliminate the possibility of theft, but you can make it more difficult, and perhaps more noisy - and that alone should be sufficient to persuade your thieves to go elsewhere.

if you are worried that thay will be back? wire the items that if thay are after so it makes a curcuit when removed but not to your alarm but fit a klazon? thay will not be back .klazon about 140dbs I know i had one thay will be able to hear for days plus you will see the gash on there for head when thay hit head on the motor.

Thank you all yet again. We have decided that the Van will never return to our address again. As Mike suggested, we will take everything we need for a trip in the car, which we leave at our CASSOA security park. We heard from our local police yesterday that the case as been closed because of lack of evidence/proof after just one week (?) (?) The positive outcome is that as a very novice mechanic, I fitted the alternator myself with some great advice and printouts from my local Ford garage. The Ford parts person said that, do not bother trying to obtain the cheapest parts from anywhere else as he/they will supply any Ford parts at trade if asked by the general public :-D .The lowlifes of this world will not stop us enjoying our wonderful hobby. If you see a Duetto on your travels no. 477

gives us a wave or come and say Hello, Jen and I will not winge all the time, promise.

Ian (lol)

Archived