Paint matching

Wislon

I have damaged the overcab on my 2004/5 Autocruise Starquest

Does anyone know if there is a matching commercially available spray paint ? The area is very small so do not want the expense of going to a repair shop.

In a previous incident I discovered that the rear valance is BMW Alpina white, but the overcab is a different colour.

Can't Autocruise tell you the code?  Failing that, many auto paint factors can match the colour from a sample, and can also make up single aerosols of the matched colour.  You may have to pay for more paint than is in the aerosol, because some of the pigments are required in only very small quantities, and the smallest quantity of pigment dictates that total volume of base required for the end colour.  However, still much cheaper than a car bodyshop.

Guest Tracker

Paint matching can work well but do make sure that the area to be matched is clean and polished to get rid of any oxidisation or faded colour pigment or the new paint colour will not quite match after preparation and spraying.

If you are very lucky it will be a standard colour and it might even be the Peugeot cab colour - it has been known!

Guest peter

Do not do as Tracker suggests and polish the area to be painted. The paint will not stick. Just cut it back and wipe it with spirit to totally de-grease it.

Sorry Richard but someone will take you literally and apply a liberal coat of Silicone, not a good idea. :D

Hi

I think CANDY WHITE will do the trick.(2004)

But yes contact for code,

Use a wipe and cut back and degrease wipe again (available wipes from Halfords)

Dust coat first and build up slowly with 4 light coats.

After 2 days polish to a shine.

Regards,

Brendan.

Guest Tracker
peter - 2009-07-27 10:13 PM

Do not do as Tracker suggests and polish the area to be painted. The paint will not stick. Just cut it back and wipe it with spirit to totally de-grease it.

Sorry Richard but someone will take you literally and apply a liberal coat of Silicone, not a good idea. :D

Quite so Peter - fair comment!

I had forgotten about allowing for all levels of common sense!

Having cleaned and/or polished the area to be matched and repainted do ensure that you remove all traces of polish before repainting.

I would use cellulose thinners for this job, however do be very careful not to rub too hard as a gentle wipe over will work just as well as a good scrubbing and will not remove any paint in the process - not that there should be any paint on a grp moulding!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your help. When I posted Autocruise were on their summer holidays, also I thought that all previous records were not sold to Swift. I am probably wrong. Just been quoted £60 to repair and match thecolour so will go down that route.

Archived