portsmouth - bilbao

RRT

Hello everyone. We have booked our winter break leaving the 2/12 via portsmouth - bilbao. We have nerver travelled this route before so would be very gratefull for any advise as to what to expect on the ship and what to take with us. Also bieng away for so long has any one any ideas re what is the best way to take money should it be in euros - use our debit card or invest in one of the cards you fill up with euros before you go and then spend it like a debit card. Thank you

My one trip on this route was not a happy one, never again.

So far as money is concerned, the preferred solution seems to be to have a Nationwide card. You can then draw Euros abroad without any handling charges (within Europe at the moment). You will get these at the wholesale rate which is better than you would be able to get changing sterling in a bureau de change. Many other cards will make a charge.Stuart

I found the food on board to be expensive and not good, I now take boiled egg sandwiches and a packet of muesli bars. The travel kettle and a few tea bags is not a bad idea.

Remember that the port is not Bilbao, it is outside by quite a bit, I spent a while driving round Bilbao on my first trip.

The Bay of Biscay can be rough but they are big boats so only roll and pitch a bit, if you feel seasick eat lots of chips, it doesn't help the sea sickness but the seagulls love it!

Geoff

Hi

Made trip several times albeit not for 3 years - had great trips each time.

You will find the ship will accept Euros or £'s or cards.

We had no problem with food - ate in restaurant - quite happy.

We take a small overnight bag for the cabin, eat it cafe in morning, relax and read a lot - in otherwords get into holiday mode.

Enjoy and look out for whales & dolphins.

Peter

We've used this crossing several times and enjoyed it. There are groups which make the crossing solely for the whale-watching armed with telescopes and cameras with enormous lenses. The talk and films of the whales and dolphins is worth attending.

From memory there is also an ordinary cinema showing a selection of films.

Enjoy your trip.

The worst cause of seasickness is the fear of it, - but if If mal de mer is a worry here are a couple of thoughts..

Ask for an inside cabin near the centre of the boat. You won't have a sea view but you'll be less aware of any rolling and pitching. Also good and faithful Stugeron tablets taken a few hours before departure are pretty effective. They're not supposed to, but can, make you feel drowsy.

We went last year on the "Pride of Bilbao". It has massive stabilizers and despite a Force 6 for a lot of the time the boat was pretty stable.

We thought the Langan's Brasserie food was bit pricey, but the canteen/cafe was reasonable and quite tasty. (We took a bottle of our own wine.) The "all in" deals available beforehand were only good value if you intended to eat all of the courses all of the time.

We endorse the comments about the whale/dolphin watching. Great fun.

Hi

Take a camera on board for the whales and dolphins, take sterling to pay for things on board. Drinks are duty free, so reasonably priced. Food is a bit more expensive than at home. The Bay of Biscay tends to be rough in Spring and Autumn so you should be OK and this is a huge craft with full stabilisation. People do use it for mini-cruises so it is quite comfortable. Have a look at P&Os website, you can have a look onboard.

P&L

Hi, we used the return route last year and were lucky enough to have a very calm crossing. We were still in holiday mode and used the left over money to eat in Langan's. It was a bit pricey but i thought excellent. There were a couple of hen/birthday parties using the "mini cruise" but they made it a bit lively without being too over the top. I saw a whale and some dolphins but the rest of the trip we spent relaxing. I would probably take a travel kettle and makings for the cabin next time and maybe something to eat.

Enjoy

Hi RRI

If you get sea sick, why not consider the New Portsmouth/Santander route, only takes 24hrs (Brittany Ferries) I would endorse taking some food with you, and a travel kettle, or even the one from your MH (if Electric). ( don't forget the adaptor, as you may need it.) We found the ship had a lot of smokers on board (going on the Mini Cruise, to get cheap fags), so was a bit smelly of tobaco.It maybe now none smoking, as it was a few years ago when we went.

Enjoy your trip. Did Spain /Portugal in May June this year, great time.

Take the ACSI book with you, well worth it

pauline

Hi,

Unless you really don't like driving I can't see the point of this ferry. It is very expensive and likely to be a very rough crossing at this time of year. I've only done it once, November 6 2001 from Bilbao to Portsmouth. We had hurricane force winds and were 12 hours late arriving in Portsmouth. I got the ticket as a special offer as a then P&O shareholder. Even the staff on board were ill. On the boat's arrival in Bilbao the first thing to arrive were a fleet of ambulances to take the injured off and on arrival at Portsmouth we were in the second row from the stairs and when the first row cleared ambulances arrived to take off the injured. I've no intention of repeating the experience but I do know of people who use this crossing annually but all of them have at sometime had bad crossings. It's along crossing to be ill on.

Bill Ord

The Pride of Bilbao is a very old ship, and as P&O have pulled out of Portsmouth, (this is the only one running) i wonder about maintenance etc.? Not sure I would travel on it in December, it's not as stable as the new ships. I also think that it is better to take a short crossing, and enjoy the drive down through France. also agree , take a Nationwide Debit card with you, safest way , drwn money as and when you need it.

Pauline

Archived