Clutch adjustment

BrianR

For some time now I have been having problems with the clutch slipping out of adjustment, making it difficult to engage first and reverse gears. This is on a 1996 Peugeot 2.5TD. In my Peter Russet manual it says that you adjust the cable length to give a clutch pedal travel of 180mm. I have done this, but after a few months the problem returns and I find that the clutch pedal travel is less than 189mm. I have made absolutely sure that the lock nut is tight and when I have checked it was still tight. I have tried to see how the cable is attached to the pedal, but I can't see enough to be sure. It seems as if their might be a long metal lug on the end of the cable which fits in to a slot (in line with the cable) on the pedal. Is this correct, I wonder? Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Are you sure that the clutch is the problem ?? have you checked the gearbox oil, to make sure it isn't a milky white ? which would suggest water getting in ? Sorry to be looking at 'worst case' , but i have read (somewhere ? MMM) that the early Sevels have some recorded instances of water getting into the gearbox, i think through a breather ?

Regards Ray ;-)

Rayjsj - 2009-08-09 11:12 AM

Are you sure that the clutch is the problem ?? have you checked the gearbox oil, to make sure it isn't a milky white ? which would suggest water getting in ?

Regards Ray ;-)

Yes, because whenever the problem appears the pedal travel has decreased and when the travel is adjusted to the correct 180mm the problem disappears.

Brian, you don't actually say what the problem is other than the pedal travel keeps shortening. Does this cause the clutch to not clear fully or does it slip?

Check the bulkhead where the clutch cable passes through to the pedal, many years ago a friend had a similar problem on a Fiat car and it turned out the cable had jumped out of its location in the bulkhead and had sawn its way through the metal gradually reducing pedal travel as it did so. Also have a close look at the pedal itself, is the cable gradually pulling through perhaps?

Failing that I suspect it is going to be down to the clutch being on its last legs and wearing out or perhaps the release bearing and fork assembly is failing, either way the 'box will have to be removed.

D.

The problem is that it becomes progresively more difficult to engage first gear and reverse. The clutch was new in November. I have tried to check the where the cable is fastened to the pedal, but I can't get close enough to see properly how it is fastened. I will check the place where it passes through the bulkhead. I was just hoping that someone might know how the cable was fastened to the pedal.

Archived