FIAT AIR-CON

DEEANDEM

Hi

I am looking for help. My motorhome is a 2006 Hymer B.654 R-H-D with a 2.8 fiat engine.

In the foot well on the near side i get water dripping from what looks like the air-con unit and it in making condonsation on the casing. Is that normal or how can i stop it from dripping.

Derrick

Guest Tracker

It might be the heater matrix - I had one go on a Boxer based van a few years ago.

Not technically difficult to replace but as the whole dash and heater assembly has to come out and go back without rattling it is time consuming, knuckle skinning and quite contortional in it's demands!

PS - I've heard about the FIAT gearbox CON but not the air CON - is this a new money making stunt by FIAT in charging us for the air the van uses!

• 7 months later...

We have experienced exactly the same problem as deeandem with a constant flow of water soaking the carpet on the passenger side.

A patient and methodical investigation by a local garage has traced the fault to a pipe which was originally directed to the outside of the cab but had somehow repositioned itself to flow inwards. The pipe removed water which had condensed on the cold parts of the air conditioning unit.

Some more detail here:

We have an Elnagh Marlin Slim 6, new in 2006 with the 'pre-judder' Fiat Ducato 2.8 base, it now has 20.000 miles on the clock.

First noticed the leak coming home from Portugal last October, it soaked the carpet and the rags that we placed under the constant flow on the passenger side. The water did not smell of antifreeze/glycol and the engine coolant level did not drop over the hundreds of miles that we covered. It was not raining.

Being ex Science teachers we could not resist passing our time doing a 'fair' test by adjusting every combination of settings one at a time - the air intake slider was tried with recirculation both on and off. Nothing altered the slow water trickle coming from around the central heater column.

We booked our unit in at our local garage because a front wheel bearing needed changing (Ridiculous - after only 20,000 miles!) but they could not solve our wet cab problem, so we moved on to an Air Conditioning expert - BMS Motors of Accrington who took two days to find and remedy the fault.

Hope this adds to the impressive body of knowledge on this wonderful site.

Yes chanel5 is correct, we had a similar problem, the condensed water

drips down to the base of the heater unit and out through a rubber pipe and outside in the engine compartment. Check if the pipe is disconnected or blocked. Also it could be a crack in the base of the heater unit, if so you should be able to re-seal it with "Stixall", or something similar.

Brian B

Archived