Just back from Switzerland and Italy trip...

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from our trip to Switzerland and Italy and had a great time. The E bikes were truly liberating, getting us places we could not contemplate on normal bikes. The hills I had worried about last year were accomplished steadily and without trouble, that is not to say we did not encounter some difficult climbs (particularly in Switzerland around Interlaken) where my wife just steadily ploughed on up sailing majestically past the lycra brigade while I was defeated because of my weight. At these times my son took my bike and speed away! While I pushed his convectional bike on foot......

Thankfully these slopes were rare! Generally E cycling was really fun even in the heat of the day (33 deg every day in Italy) with the cooling effect of gentle cycling was always enjoyable and never a chore.

We saw a fair few mainly Panasonic E bikes on the road in Switzerland. In Italy (manly generic Chinese bikes) they seem to be favoured by older people and an Italian approached me for info as he was after one for his father. In France they are even available in Hypermarkets (Chinese generic) a reasonable step through design to my eyes, but there was no price on the one we saw and no throttle either! But they seem to be far more popular in Europe then here.

Re mobile communications: my son bought a vodaphone pay as you go sim for £20 for the month. No roaming charges, unlimited texts and 300 minutes of calls......great value IMO

All in all my decision to invest in a pair of Wisper E bikes for our motorhome holidays has been justified, even my wife at last agreeing (she at first argued re the cost) and she is now even contemplating using her 705SE to commute on.

My a/c worked perfectly on the trip, and was a godsend in the heat of the day ( I had posted previously that I thought it was not working properly). We overnighted in Belgium on the way out as we were visiting our Belgian dealer for a habitation check in the morning, there was a thunderstorm and water started dripping from side if Heki on to the table......next morning the dealer promtly stripped it all out and re fixed it. It cost us a couple of hours but they are so efficent and helpful with great coffee lol

We stoped at Gravelines aire on the way back. this is a very nice stop. A short walk to centre with decent restaurants and a Super U nearby as well. Ony prolem is there is no Born? my sat nav indicated a dump on other side of town but we could not find it...any ideas? as this is a great cycling stop and peaceful at night, and far more pleasant then Calais.........

DSC09093.jpg.43f10f8542f0106ab4b5a39f73809b79.jpg

DSC09138.jpg.61409d1225b2170daf4a117dc41e4039.jpg

DSC09169.jpg.418720336cb09c03927428f9094dcc66.jpg

italy.jpg.0fee1de05730e34de4c08f78f7fe39af.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
libby - 2009-08-11 1:19 PM

The cost per machine is less than some modern "mountain bikes" and it provides ease of journeying.

Bill

Very true Bill, there were 2 English familys near us at lake Garda and their children had mountain bikes which cost between £1500 & £3000 each.........

The settings look really great and I'm very envious, I used to cycle all over but being a carer now limits my activity to waiting on others, I shall dream on and probably use a picture (the two bikes against the mountain backdrop) for my screen display. Great stuff.

Guest JudgeMental
onecal vw - 2009-08-11 4:07 PM

Hi.

Great looking bikes. Looks like you had a fab' hol' What is the life span of the battery?.

Well done Ed' the pic's are lovely.

Regards to all,

Brendan

approx 2 years dependent on use I understand....I am a light user as I dont use it for commuting.

this is one of my favorite piccs which would not load originally as to big. it was taken from the hill that nearly defeated me! lol

1456249425_newone.jpg.62ce4236fecf9088da81cabc9d74711b.jpg

Hi

Did you go up on the revolving cable car on Lake Garda. You can bring the bikes up to the top. Fab' for photos on a clear day.

Thanks for the info on the batteries. I am looking at scooters (ele') at the moment. One I have tested is equal to a 400cc bike but I am afraid its range is poor. The will improve.

Your last photo is fab, brings back some old mem's when I was with my little man (son) before I lost him. Always treasure the time you have together.

Regards.

Brendan

Guest JudgeMental
onecal vw - 2009-08-11 5:57 PM

Hi

Did you go up on the revolving cable car on Lake Garda. You can bring the bikes up to the top. Fab' for photos on a clear day.

Thanks for the info on the batteries. I am looking at scooters (ele') at the moment. One I have tested is equal to a 400cc bike but I am afraid its range is poor. The will improve.

Your last photo is fab, brings back some old mem's when I was with my little man (son) before I lost him. Always treasure the time you have together.

Regards.

Brendan

Sorry for you loss!

Brendan, I'm from Cork (city) r ru?

My son does not do cable cars as he has a fear of heights. the familys I mentioned re mountain bikes did this and cycled down *-)

have a look over on pedelec forum for e bike/e scooter info

Guest JudgeMental
Peter Pan - 2009-08-12 1:58 PM

Judge

How long was your vacation for? We went to Lausanne & Interlaken last Sept on a 14 day holiday, but I felt I spent too many days driving for a 14 day break.

;-)

3 weeks + 4 days

Archived