Overnight stops about 1 hr Calais

peterjl

Hi

In recent years i have been getting a late ferry then stopping at the Aire in Calais near the docks - its easy to get too, i can buy bread next morning before i continue my journey + i like the chips!

I am a little more wary now - some one tried to pinch our bikes last year + other vans broken into. Plus of course the recent posts lead me to think its getting worse.

Soooo, i'm off middle next week on a late ferry and am wondering where best to stop to get some sleep. I do't know any of the other aires (albeit i am going to try downloading the camping car info data).

Can anyone recommend a good stopping place about 1 hrs drive from Calais; any direction; where i can arrive midnightish and overnight?

Many thanks

Peter

Guest Tracker

Grand Fort Philippe or Petit Fort Philippe or Gravelines.

Very quiet and easy to reach Aires or parking on the quayside at both of the Forts but the Aire at Gravelines was shut last year when we were there.

Ah ha, okay then.

If you don't want to have to drive, I can recommend Cite Europe (the big shopping complex next to Eurotunnel (about 6km by road, about 150m as the crow flies!). We've stayed there a few times now and have not had any problems at all.

As for places to stay - we had a very pleasant night in a parking area near the dunes just outside Wimereux but you might have difficulty finding it in the dark unless you know the one I mean! 8-)

I'll have to have a think about some more .... :-S

Try this site it's near St Omer and the owner is a great guy and a good laugh. Speaks good english and his wife can arrange for the vet to do the neccessary for you to take your dog home as she is his receptionist.

http://www.campinglachaumiere.com/

Site also has button for english translation for us lazy ones who no speaka da lingo. :D

Tracker - 2009-08-11 9:35 PM

Grand Fort Philippe or Petit Fort Philippe or Gravelines.

Very quiet and easy to reach Aires or parking on the quayside at both of the Forts but the Aire at Gravelines was shut last year when we were there.

agree to Fort Phillipes, also - Super-U{small} and Auchan [large] v convenient

If you are coming up from the Rouen direction, then head off to the coast at le Touquet and there is an excellent aire there.....and it's a quick hop back up the Autoroute if you so wish straight to Calais, though we prefer the coast road. Also when we came trhough the other week we noticed an aire in Bolougne, just in what seems to be the centre of the town on the cliffs......if anyone has info on this one ,please post on here?

Guest JudgeMental

We stayed at Gravelines Sunday night for the first time and it is a very good stop over, peaceful and only 20 minutes from ferry port. Some decent restaurants in centre and a Patisserie 5 minutes walk away, and a good cycling area. Super U is minutes away with cheap fuel as well.

the only down side is there is no born...my sat nav showed one on other side of Fort but when I checked there was nothing there? any one any ideas as to where to get water, dump waste etc.....

Yes, you can go to the camp site at Camping Les Dunes, Rue Victor Hugo Plage de Petit Fort Phillipe, has all the facilities you will need, toilet & grey waste dump, water fill, skips to get rid of your rubbish and all for 3 Euros. Go to the reception and they come out to you. There is no limit on the water fill either, so you can top up completely if you are staying a day or two.

We usually stop at Le-Portel Nr Boulogne  20 miles from Calais if heading south west or Arques Nr St-Omer 30 miles from Calais if heading south/south east also as stated we also stop at City Europe MH parking Nr the bus parking we have never had any problems there.

Guest Tracker
Wherever you stop overnight you can still empty and refill at the Calais Port Aire - and at no cost - well you could in March anyway!

Tomo3090 - 2009-08-12 8:21 AM

Yes, you can go to the camp site at Camping Les Dunes, Rue Victor Hugo Plage de Petit Fort Phillipe, has all the facilities you will need, toilet & grey waste dump, water fill, skips to get rid of your rubbish and all for 3 Euros. Go to the reception and they come out to you. There is no limit on the water fill either, so you can top up completely if you are staying a day or two.

Is that the Site with the gates though? we arrived outside and they were shut ! it was round about lunchtime though ! we would have had to wait over an hour before they would be open so we moved on.

I was just thinking anyone wanting water wouldnt be able to get it if it was after office hours. Or were we at the wrong site?

Guest JudgeMental
Tomo3090 - 2009-08-12 8:21 AM

Thanks Tomo, we cycled around the campsite on Sunday never thought to ask....

Being fairly new to Aires, we used them a few times last year i was wondering about arrival ettiquette. We arrive offthe tunnel about 1am French time. I was going to go back to the P&O ferry office car park to stay overnight but then Mel mentioned Cite Europe and others at Gravelines. My question is ariving at 1am, we will try to be quiet but there will be some noise!! *-), is that too rude a time to arrive? Will we disturbing everyone and get moaned at?

No certainly not everyone has the same problem .

The ones I hate are the inconsiderate car users they pull up take a break the kids are excited then they all get out of the car slamm the doors make a load of noise usually right next to my window chat for bloody hours about all and nothing leave mess and food wrappers then sod off .

All at 3 in the morning inconsiderate gets .

:-S

kelly58 - 2009-08-12 8:53 AM

We usually stop at Arques Nr St-Omer 30 miles from Calais if heading south/south east .

You can only arrive or leave the aire at Arques whilst the reception at the adjacent campsite is open, so it is no good for a 1 AM arrival.

BrianR - 2009-08-12 6:32 PM
kelly58 - 2009-08-12 8:53 AM We usually stop at Arques Nr St-Omer 30 miles from Calais if heading south/south east .
You can only arrive or leave the aire at Arques whilst the reception at the adjacent campsite is open, so it is no good for a 1 AM arrival.

We arrived once at about 3am off late ferry the service point is outside the site so you can park there ok the MH aire is around the back of reception , but the barrier will be down at that time of day which is only 2 euro's to park there during opening hours its a nice quiet location and really safe so you will be ok at that time parking at the service point or on the small parking area on the road outside of the site. we will be there on 20th of this month arriving about 18.30 pm from the 16.20pm Euro Shuttle ready to head for Luxembourg and Koblenz the next day .Can't Wait.. 

Archived