Overnight stops about 1 hr Calais

peterjl

peter - 2009-08-12 8:54 PM

Sorry........I posted a propper camp site. I didn't realise everone was looking for a cheapo overnight stop.

Well you do now Peter!!! who wants to pay 15+Euro just to sleep and then move on????

Michelle Chihuahuas dont drink much or have showers !! its me that wants plenty of water. :-D

Hopesy - 2009-08-12 6:14 PM

'Being fairly new to Aires, we used them a few times last year i was wondering about arrival ettiquette. We arrive offthe tunnel about 1am French time. '

The last time we crossed we arrived at teh Aire at calais at 3.AM French time, and simply drove in, found a space,immediately parked up and just turned the engine off - no manouvering or anything like, and no opening of doors!

Equally we have left the Aire for the ferry terminal at 5AM,and the same procedure, (in reverse of course) and i think it is really about being conscious of the time, and in fairness there are often movements very early or late, and we have never found any difficulty - in fact there was more noise overnight the last time we were there (13/14 July night) until a veyr heavy storm put paid to the celebrations!

We used the Aire at Escalles last year (number 13 in the Aires book) which was very nice more like a little CL, but I think it has a barrier so early and late arrivals might be an issue unless any one knows differently???.

We have to catch the 5am ferry back this time so will try the one at Gravlines this year (number 43 in the book)

cheers (lol)

Hi

Looks like i started an interesting thread. I've now downloaded the campingcar infos data.

I am thinking of trying the Gravelines Aire but there is a feedback in English dated june saying it was looking rundown.

Has anybody been recently who can comment?

Peter

There are 2 at Gravelines, one where the bourne is which looks very run down and is often taken over by gypsies. The other is at the port which is where we were 4 weeks ago and it was clean and tidy and very quiet.

We usually stay in Le Treport at one or the other of the Aires there, or a bit further on to Le Croytoy , either one you could arrive at whatever time of night and as long as it wasn't one of their bank holiday weekends you would be fine.

In fact it is that weekend starting today, anyone travelling over there this weekend will need to plan, we did it last year and the year before, sardines were not a patch on us at Le Croytoy, but the sun was shinning all weekend.

Mandy

The run down one is part of the municipal campsite. It was, in late May, being refurbed and the entrance moved inside the camp. The bourne wasn't working and the camp guardian wasn't happy that people has still used it.

The site we used does have sliding gates across the road, but the gate to reception is on the left as you face the sliding ones. The MHSP is behind the recycling area on the right just through the sliding gate.

I spoke to a guy from the marina when we were there and he said there was a plan to put a bourne at the marina area, but he didn't know when that would be.

Guest JudgeMental

When heading south we drive through the night......Pulling in around 4 in the morning on an Aire somewhere. You get a bit of curtain twiching sometimes but we are very quiet, not opening/slamming doors etc.....just getting straight into bed.

Re Gravelines. The port aire (free) is immaculate and peaceful with large bins for rubbish. the town is likewise with an abundance of flowers/plants. I never stay in Calais if I can help it as it is grim IMO. City de Europe is quiet as well but being under the glare of 24 hour sodium lighting ain't the best start or finish to a holiday.

we normally go to Le Touquet but it is far more oversubscribed (with expensive restaurants) and not as convenient for shopping etc......Will be using Gravelines in the future.

Soooo - the aire at Gravelines, near marina is good.

The question is: are the co ordinates on the cammping car infos site for this good site or the tired site?

Does anyone have directions or co - ordinates for the good marina site - i will be turning up late and tired (i work full time and leave after work) and, being a man, will be grumpy, so i would prefer to find it first time.

Help appreciated

Peter

Guest JudgeMental

life is so much easier with a sat nav with all the Aires on it....

Aire is on Rue du Port (The black flag on map)

We arrived early around 3 pm Sunday and there was loads o space ...when we strolled back, after probably the best Moules a la creme and frites we have ever had at 10'ish it was near enough full of vans........

Untitled.jpg.9ca2037c9add99ac59360eb0a1286864.jpg

Archived