Rust

Brock

My chassis extension seems to have pockets of rust. One bit is particularly bad where water gets trapped although it has not yet rotted through. Van is 5 years old.

I want to cure this without having a major underseal job. Any suggestions as to how a hamfisted DIYer can go about sorting this?

Brock

Alternatives to "Waxoyl" are various anti-corrosion products branded "Dinitrol" (GOOGLE-search on "Dinitrol" for more details.)

Dinitrol is available in an aerosol, which may be sufficient if you just wish to treat a small area or a chassis cavity.

If you want to treat a large area, then you'll need some sort of pressure-spray and (having DIY-sprayed my previous motorhome's underside with Waxoyl) I can assure you the task will be no fun, particularly if you have to lie beneath the vehicle to perform it.

If water is being trapped in your chassis extension, then it would be sensible to drill a hole (or holes) in the extension to allow it to drain out. Once the chassis is empty of water, you can treat the inside with an anti-corrosion product.

Traditional undersealing is nowadays frowned on, as moisture can become trapped between the underlay coating and the metal beneath.

Archived