WE'RE BACK!

Tony Jones

Well, to be honest, we got back on Thursday morning off the Harwich overnight. This is just the first chance I've had to write.

We've had the most amazing 5 weeks, and got to all the places we wanted to plus a few more.

The route went like this:

Amsterdam (that Baptist bash we told you about, plus a few more days in the city. A week all told); Berlin; Warsaw; Kracow (inc Auschwitz, and a visit to the Wielitzka Salt Mine); Budapest; Vienna; Prague; Colditz Castle (yes, the actual site of the POW prison); Wittenberg (where Martin Luther kicked off the Reformation); then back to Hoek via Osnabruck and Dordrecht (where we'd made some friends on the way out).

But we also discovered so many beautiful little places in between, and met some great people of all nationalities. We've stayed on everything from posh campsites to free Stellplatze.

We took the Caravan Club Europe2, and both volumes of the BordAtlas. Found the BordAtlas far more useful. Sites in the CC book tended to be expensive (or in one case closed down!).

The BordAtlas lists reasonably-priced campsites as well as free or nearly-free Stellplatze, with lots of info about them. It's in German, but the bit I remembered from O-level in 1968, and a dictionary, enabled us to make sense of it. You can also download the locations as TT PoIs, so we usually got the TT to find us a possible place, then looked it up in the book to see if it would do for us. Highly recommended.

In Prague, we found an area to the north of the city where all along one road people have turned their back gardens into small but fully-equipped campsites - about 7 in all. Very cheap, but tightly packed. No 6-metre rule here! Good value though, friendly people, and handy for trams into the city.

Liz has been suffering with a bit of arthritis on one leg, which has limited our walking in cities, but we found public transport excellent everywhere. We'd usually hop on a tram or bus into town, buy a 24-hr runabout ticket, then use the busses, trams or metros to get from one "sight" to another.

Poland charges traditional-style tolls on its motorways, which is a bit of a cheek given that they're dreadful - and some not finished yet! Slovakia, Czech Rep, Hungary and Austria use "vignettes" that you buy at the border. Don't be caught out by the colours of signs in CZ and Slovakia - they use blue for main roads and green for motorways!

We kept a daily diary, which I'll put bits of on here when I have time over the next few days (or weeks!), and our son is going to set up a website for the pictures we took, so I'll post a link to that when it's ready.

Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and good wishes - it was great. And now, back to work!

Tony Jones - 2009-08-29 12:06 PM

Well, to be honest, we got back on Thursday morning off the Harwich overnight.

Didn't see you wave when we went to Frinton thursday morning ;-)

Looks like you might be able to give mikethebike on his poland thread some info

welcombe back safe and sound- Prague-only 1 laundreete in the city- rihgt in the centre- we stayed at the prague yacht club caravan site- in total the time we where there only 15 others used the site- basic- but clan and very friendly and great for the water taxi to the centre- most of our time was however spent up in the nnw of the city watchiing lacrosse- so drove the van daily to the games-will have to go back- so much to see in the surrounds and down to the austrian border

Loads of pics, so I've asked my IT-aware son to set up a website for them. I'll post a link as soon as it's ready. Meanwhile:

1) I've got a 4-page Word doc, edited down from our daily diary, of all the sites and Stellplatze we used, with comments. If anyone wants it, PM me with an e-mail address and it's yours.

2) Just a couple of pics from Germany.

Free Stellplatz - BordAtlas vol1 p.425, GPS 50o44’6”N, 12o46’3”E. In a country park at Niederwurschnitz, where there used to be a brickworks. Beautiful, peaceful setting. Except ….

Loads of pics, so I've asked my IT-aware son to set up a website for them. I'll post a link as soon as it's ready. Meanwhile, I've got a 4-page Word doc, edited down from our daily diary, of all the sites and Stellplatze we used, with comments. If anyone wants it, PM me with an e-mail address and it's yours.

Loads of pics, so I've asked my IT-aware son to set up a website for them. I'll post a link as soon as it's ready. Meanwhile, I've got a 4-page Word doc, edited down from our daily diary, of all the sites and Stellplatze we used, with comments. If anyone wants it, PM me with an e-mail address and it's yours.

Had three attempts to add a couple of picks as a "taster," but by the time it said I couldn't ("server error") the post was already live!

given up on wating for no.1 son and had a go myself.

Here are the first dozen (someone tell me if the link works!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42189510@N05/

I've also got a daily diary of the trip, an 11-page Word doc 68.5KB. Again, if anyone wants to read it PM me weith an e-mail address.

Tony

Archived