worktop crack

njw

Apparently, this is one of the most common reasons for 'vans going in for repair.

It happened to me and was a biggish crack. As far as I'm aware there's no easy fix and we ended up having the entire work surface replaced. This meant a lot of dismantling of the kitchen sink and hob etc.

The spare top had to be ordered from Italy and took some weeks to come but, when it did arrive, it was fitted extremely well by the repairer. The cost was such that we claimed it on the insurance. I can't remember exactly but it was certainly around £500 for the new top and labour.

Blow me if it didn't happen again a couple of months ago but it's a tiny crack and we put some invisible sellotape over it and no one notices!

'Check the locker doors' is now number one on our check list when setting off anywhere.

the crack is just a hairline crack now, as i was able to access from underneath so i drill a hole and pushed the crack back together again and applyed some glue to stengthen it now all is showing is a slight lip of about 1/2 mm but will use sellotape as suggested .only had this motorhome 5 weeks and it was our first trip out and one of my boys stacked two cups together instead if having them all on the base of the cupboard ,but do not fancy spendign £500 + on new worktop so will make do ,many thanks for your advice

• 2 weeks later...
good news, just came back from shepton show and while i was there i spotted a man that dose those decals so i asked him if i took a digi picture could he do anything to help so he asked me to place a penny next to the crack so he would have something to go bye ie; pattern on wortop etc he then made me a round colour dise to match the top and also make it water proof stuck it on and now is hard to see ,so quite happy again now

njw - 2009-09-14 9:27 AM good news, just came back from shepton show and while i was there i spotted a man that dose those decals so i asked him if i took a digi picture could he do anything to help so he asked me to place a penny next to the crack so he would have something to go bye ie; pattern on wortop etc he then made me a round colour dise to match the top and also make it water proof stuck it on and now is hard to see ,so quite happy again now

How thick is this disc? Is it just very thin plastic, which in effect would be no different from putting some Sellotape on it, but much more aesthetically pleasing? It seems an interesting method of covering a small crack because, as I said above, I've got my second one now.

Also, do you know the name of this man or his firm?

Hi Rupert

have you tried looking in BQ or Homebase etc, They do repair kits for laminate floors, you may get a match in that, to fill the crack

We had a bottle of Brandy fall out of a cupboard onto the work top, made a fairly large hole, which my OH managed to repair using filler from underneath and the above mentioned to cover on top.(at least the Brandy wasn't broken)

Pauline

• 2 weeks later...

Archived