crank up satellite systems

gadjo

Mickydripin - 2009-09-14 12:37 PM

Hi 4petedaniel did you buy the maxiview Omnisat in a bag with all the bits in, there are two instruction leaflets one for setting up the dish for the angle (up and down) and there are markings (numbers) on the bracket at the back of the dish but make sure that your dish is level.

On one leaflet there are graph lines with numbers on to corespond to different parts of the country or continent (to set up the up and down)and the other leaflet tells you how to assemble the dish/stand etc.

on one leaflet it tells you which way to face with your dish but dont count on getting a picture unless you are lucky it will still need very slight movements either way of your compas reading but do it very slow and you patience will be rewarded.

I know nothing about satellite assembly but with a little time reading and working through the instructions it was worth it to see the look on my other arf`s face when she could watch emerdale.

One more thing it cost £199 but when I used my caravan club card I got 10% off from my local caravan shop so make sure you get your discount.

Hope this helps Mike.

:-) :-)

Hi

No but thanks.I now believe that I know my problem, which is the amount of metal objects that we have in the van, I could not get on with the conventional compass so I brought a electonic, still can't set it up as it still shows Astar2 in the wrong direction. I found that out at the Shepton Mallet Show when I noticed every dish but mine was pointing in the same direction. them my stat finder stopped working as wel l so we found a good book to read instead.

We have the Camus crankup double LNB and use our SKYb+ box. When my wife heard about you guys getting signal within few minuets she does not believe it. I use the compass outside for rough north and turn the dial accordinley, most times i watch the grey spacer bar get to where it say' ok but still no picture, turn it fraction more and lost everything, back to same postion and its gone again, by now my arm is aching stretching up to the thing.By now its 30 min' setting up so start by giving it more angle which sometimes is 10 turns and i have a picture, other times its 8 turns , other times i use my LIDLE signal finder which can find the signal quicker but is a bit awkard fiddling behind the set as its fixed to the wall. Only once did i get Sky within few min'. >:-(

You will learn to do it quickly (with a Maxview Crankup at least.

Look at the direction other dishes are facing. Adjust the elevation to the required level by reference to the chart and then you have a signal. 1 minute max with a free to air box. Hopeless with a Sky Box as there is inbuilt delay.

As I said higher up this thread it can occasionally be a nightmare trying to find a satellite. The main problem is when you have trees for instance which may, or may not, obstruct the signal.

This is when you spend a frustrating twenty minutes trying to locate a satellite that isn't actually locatable.

With my automatic Camos dome there's no such problem. Tell it what satellite you want and without a minute or less it will lock on and tell you that it's found it. If it can't lock on then you know that there isn't a signal and you can then either read a book or, if you know what you're doing and have the right digibox, choose another satellite, most of which will give you the international news programmes, BBC, SKY and CNN etc.

The other advantage is that it will work in any weather and, unlike a dish, will not rip your roof open if the wind suddenly decides to change to Gale Force 9.

A few tips with a crank-up and you'll get a signal in less than a minute.

Don't use a Sky box to tune in initially, as there is a delay with the in-built meter. The Sky HD box is even worse!!

Use a sat meter or even better a FTA box like the ones in the suitcase systems. With those you get a picture and signal bars simultaneously.

Always start 'finding' from a low trajectory and start in an easterly direction, moving south. Keep on moving the dish slightly higher and moving from east to south. Astra 2 will be the first satellite you'll find.

When you have signal and you've finished viewing, count the rotations on the handle to bring the dish home and make a note of the number and the location. You can write the number of turns on the chart supplied - I keep mine stuck inside a cupboard door. The further south you are the more rotations you'll need.

When you've done it a few times, you'll have a very good idea of how high to put the dish to start 'panning'. Always start half a turn lower, this will make sure the first satellite you'll find will be Astra 2, which is lowest in the sky and the furthest east from south.

Here in Valencia it's 24 rotations. In southern England it's 21.

We have a crank up system and it works well-----normally finding the satellite within a few seconds.

BUT there is a but.With so many French and Spanish sites having shade trees it can be a gamble whether you can "see" the satellite in the first place

derek500 - 2009-09-20 8:46 PM

A few tips with a crank-up and you'll get a signal in less than a minute.

Don't use a Sky box to tune in initially, as there is a delay with the in-built meter. The Sky HD box is even worse!!

Use a sat meter or even better a FTA box like the ones in the suitcase systems. With those you get a picture and signal bars simultaneously.

Always start 'finding' from a low trajectory and start in an easterly direction, moving south. Keep on moving the dish slightly higher and moving from east to south. Astra 2 will be the first satellite you'll find.

When you have signal and you've finished viewing, count the rotations on the handle to bring the dish home and make a note of the number and the location. You can write the number of turns on the chart supplied - I keep mine stuck inside a cupboard door. The further south you are the more rotations you'll need.

When you've done it a few times, you'll have a very good idea of how high to put the dish to start 'panning'. Always start half a turn lower, this will make sure the first satellite you'll find will be Astra 2, which is lowest in the sky and the furthest east from south.

Here in Valencia it's 24 rotations. In southern England it's 21.

I am reading you right that you can get Astra 2 on a campervan dish in Valencia?

Archived