Vacuum cleaners for motorhomes

Minstrel

There seem to so many hand held vacuum cleaners around, how do you choose one? Is a hand held good enough, corded or battery operated?

I have a compact electrolux cylinder cleaner and we have storage space, should I stick with that?

At the moment I only clean the seat cushions after a trip away, but we are limited to 3 weeks because of aged parents. The floor I do with dustpan and brush, then use disposable floor cloths to clean the floor, but in winter we have carpet down.

We go away for 6 weeks+ each time and carry a "Dust Buster" rechargeable hand-held vac for our weekly clean. It has worked well over the last 9 years and has only needed one replacement bag / filter.

It is recharged using an inverter and can run for about 9 minutes on a full charge. If you are going to stay on sites with hook-up, then a mains powered cleaner will always give you more 'suck' than a battery model.

In short: we have found a battery model OK for our use in a small van (Autosleeper Duetto).

We use our rechargeable electric sweeper (with a small handbrush for the edges) as we found the "dust buster" type supplied with the motorhome is next to useless in comparison. It is brilliant for dried mud, leaves, sand etc etc

We don't take the long handle, used at home with the sweeper, and I have caused a few odd looks to come my way when sweeping the large outdoor matting on site but it works for us and keeps the MH feeling fresh. ;-)

We have a Dirt Devil, 240 volt, which we bought years ago when we were tuggers and leave that in the van, it only gets used when we are on hookup to get the small stones out of the carpet. We have a fan type brush with very stiff bristles and a collapsible handle that we use on a regular basis and don't really have a problem.

Thank you so much for your replies,

I am now the proud owner of an Electrolux 700w corded hand held I've cleaned two whole stairs with it so far. I did also look at the reviews on Amazon, which also proved useful. I won't throw away my two brushes and dustpan though!

Archived