morrocco

mgain

Guest Tracker
Lots of info if you type Morocco (note spelling!) into the forum search facility and look under Motorhome Matters over the last year or so.

I've just received a copy of Camping Morocco from Vicarious Books and it looks like it will be very useful. The introduction gives lots of useful information but for more detailed information I would recommend the Footprint Handbook.

We have booked to go on a Desert Detours trip next February and have been well impressed with the contact we have had with them to date.

Unless [like most Mhome’s] you are doing the coast run to the sun, which is now almost total Motorway to Agadir, you will need a plan “A” or even “B” for inland Morocco during Jan. Snow-blocked Atlas passes and heavy rain in areas far away can have an effect local. But no problem if you are flexible and not to constrained by time [or with a tour group!].

Just back today from Morocco with a group and found that extreme rainfall in the mountains, during early September, had/has wrecked many bridges in the South and has caused widespread road damage. Some of this will be sorted by Jan……But……Latest info needed.

Back over there during Oct, Nov and Dec so just ask.........

detourer - 2009-09-18 1:45 PM

Unless [like most Mhome’s] you are doing the coast run to the sun, which is now almost total Motorway to Agadir, you will need a plan “A” or even “B” for inland Morocco during Jan. Snow-blocked Atlas passes and heavy rain in areas far away can have an effect local. But no problem if you are flexible and not to constrained by time [or with a tour group!].

Just back today from Morocco with a group and found that extreme rainfall in the mountains, during early September, had/has wrecked many bridges in the South and has caused widespread road damage. Some of this will be sorted by Jan……But……Latest info needed.

So speaketh Ray Monteith Smith - and he will tell you where the Monteith comes from if you ask him nicely!

Ray, and his good lady wife Debbie, are the 'brains' (if that is the right word) behind Desert Detours and they, together with their local Moroccan team probably know as much about the country as any other 'foreigner' and a good deal more than probably most Moroccans.

He won't advertise directly but no doubt he won't be upset enough by this to offer me a discount if/when we go again!

His trips are not cheap but it is a good way to see and experience the country in safety and without worry about getting it wrong - especially for a first timer like wot we were.

Many will go it alone and their trip will be successful but the groups are good fun too and reassuring in a strange land.

But that's just my view - others may have different views!

I second what Tracker has said Ray will not advertise himself on hear but the trip we had with him 2 years ago was excellent we met people we would never have met, like the school we were allowed into and the songs the children sang us, and went to places we would never have found like camping under the stars in the desert and been taken by camel to see the sun rise over Algeria, and had experiences we would never have had like eating lamb in the souks in Marrakesh right out of the underground ovens the way it was done hundreds of years ago.

Maybe it cost a little more than on your own but the experience and safety and hassle free way through the ports and camp sites for our first trip to Morocco we felt well worth it. Carol.

detourer - 2009-09-18 1:45 PM

Business as usual then Ray... :)

He's right about needing a plan B, C, etc. last winter we had planned to head over the Atlas in January but the main routes were blocked by snow, so we headed for the coast instead and came back over the mountains in March. There was still quite a bit of snow around even then.

Roads/bridges washed out by rain is not uncommon but most seem to be made passable, if a bit rough, fairly quickly. We were held up in one town where a raging torrent was blocking the road out, the next morning it was cleared.

Morocco is a great country, perfectly possible to do on your own, but Ray does provide a 'different' experience, and peace of mind for those who don't fancy going it alone.

AndyC

Been there got the T-shirt but would not rush back again!!!. We like to see the real Morroco via the lanes etc, not interested in travelling down the motorway and sitting on the beach for couple months and then coming home. We were there in Jan?feb one year ago weather not bad but did get a bit of snow!

Have 5 books on Morroco about £50 worth if anybody wants them for £2o

Paul Ann

AnnPaul - 2009-09-21 3:18 PM

Been there got the T-shirt but would not rush back again!!!. We like to see the real Morroco via the lanes etc, not interested in travelling down the motorway and sitting on the beach for couple months and then coming home. We were there in Jan?feb one year ago weather not bad but did get a bit of snow!

Paul Ann

That is one of the reasons we went with Ray in April this year. He takes you to the places that you may not find. If you fancy a great trip then I would pay the dosh and sign up for one of his trips. If you want to 'do' Morocco on your own you can always stay after the tour has finished.

We will be going back with Ray in the future for sure. Great memories....

You can see our blog and phots here

http://ontour2009.blogspot.com/

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/bobclewley/Morocco_2009?feat=directlink

Bob

Really enjoyed your blog and photo album. We are getting excited about joining Ray for a trip starting 9 Feb 2010 and are starting to think about packing lists for the van - have you any advice about must take items or general hints that will help us to enjoy the experience.

You can get most things really....

I would take UHT milk ( if you drink a lot of it )

Boxes of wine and any beer you may need.... We bought quite a bit. Ray will be able to show you where to get some towards the end of the trip.....

We managed to fit in two super market trips, one was on the first day i think. It is also great going to the markets and eating local produce. we visited a market almost every day..... their oranges are second to none....

If you want to know anything specific just PM me....

It is the best trip ever... Chloe and Amy 6 and 9 at the time... are still talking about it....

The main Moroccan supermarket is Marjane, you'll see the signs in most major towns. There is one near Tétouan which is fairly close to Ray's normal first night stop at Martil, full listing here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjane

To be honest it's more interesting, and better for the local economy, to buy from small shops and souks. At the weekly souks (open air markets) you will most likely be buying directly from the producers.

You will only easily get alcohol in the large supermarkets, we decided not to stock up on the cheap stuff in Spain but bought what we wanted as we travelled round.

Bacon, and other pork products, is not easily available, so if you want bacon butties you'll need to stock up beforehand!

Andy_C

We are planning a Moroccoan trip planning to cross the high Atlas pass to Marrakech in mid December. Noting the vagaries of the weather year on year has anybody (Ray?) got any idea if it will be open? If not what should plan b be to get from the Sahara side of the Atlas to Marrakekech?

Also what is the likely state of the R203 south of Marrakech in early January and also the N9 route?

Finally is there a good Moroccan side with updated road information or is that expecting too much?

Ian

ian81 - 2009-09-29 9:22 AM

We are planning a Moroccoan trip planning to cross the high Atlas pass to Marrakech in mid December. Noting the vagaries of the weather year on year has anybody (Ray?) got any idea if it will be open? If not what should plan b be to get from the Sahara side of the Atlas to Marrakekech?

Also what is the likely state of the R203 south of Marrakech in early January and also the N9 route?

Finally is there a good Moroccan side with updated road information or is that expecting too much?

Ian

Ray's your man for suggesting alternative routes. The N9/P31 via the Tizi n Tichka is the main N S route so will be cleared if blocked by snow. Timing and quantities of snow are unpredictable, the passes may be open one day and closed the next. We couldn't get over the Middle Atlas in January this year, because of the amount of snow, but 2 years previously at the same time of year it was perfectly clear. I have to say that even when the bulk of the snow has been cleared the Moroccans aren't terribly good at driving on packed snow and ice!

As far as I know there is no online source of road information for Morocco, your best bet is to check at the local bus station and the Gendarmerie Royale.

Andy

Hi

Firstly let me say thanks for the kind words re Desert Detours and myself.....We are very carefull NOT to promote ourselves on here [or other forums] but are very happy to offer advice and/or help to anyone.....solo or otherwise.

Andy has just about answered the question re winter snow on passes. I of course assume you mean Tizzi n Tichka and not Tizz n Test...Test will be closed for sure.

I have a slight concern that some may try and follow our summer routes over the Atlas via Imilshil and Demante……These are a BIG NO-NO from now until late spring. I was there with a group two weeks ago and these routes were closing behind us [for motorhomes] already.

Its not just snow…..heavy rain can be worse with mud and landslides. There is no substitute for local knowledge so an early call into the bus stations and/or taxi ranks and ask…….although Moroccans will tackle the passes as soon as they re-open and say it is OK…..not a good time as the back-log of trucks, buses and drivers in a hurry will be there with you…….If in doubt wait. Try and travel with others [motorhomes] going your way. The worse side of Moroccans, like everywhere else, will emerge is you are solo and find yourself stuck, broken down or whatever…..loads of cash!!!!

The weather in Morocco is now like everywhere else…….unpredictable. There was a time, not so long ago, that I could tell you to the day [almost] what to expect…..not now.

I would think that if you are thinking of Tizzi n Tichka and its closed stay south via the N10 looping around from Ouarzazate to Agadir.

Anyway...off back there tomorrow and as you will perhaps be aware we are over there every month.......Take our numbers 0034 658988841 and 615276532 and our Moroccan number 00212 613041027 in case you [or anyone] needs help.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
Hi we have done morocco for the last 8 winters re Nov to Feb and you will find the people there very freindly and helpfull the roads are good and you will find it as safe as Spain if not more safe and i would park my motorhome in maroc before i would in some parts of europe or the uk, ok you will find some villages look very diffrent to our towns and villages but thats their way of life and we accept it, also the weather is usually better than any of our uk summers so go for it i am sure you will enjoy it whether you go alone or on a tour regards Pedro

Archived