Taking dog to Santander

Madmaggott

Has anyone taken their dog with them on Brittany Ferries to Santander? 

What are the kennels like that they provide, are they of a reasonable size? 

Did your dog become distressed in any way?

What did you do about exercising your dog on this fairly long journey?

Would you do it again?

I quite like the idea of ferry to Spain and a leisurely drive back at the end of the holiday but I am concerned about the length of the journey for my quite active dog. 

Any first hand experience, anyone?

Don't have a dog but did travel on the ferry and seen the kennels and the people with the dogs and they all seemed quite happy, just another thought just about 20 miles from Santander is Satalander del mar with a great Camping Cheque site well worth a night or two's stop over after the sea crossing a beautiful medieval town and area and as long as its not high tourist season well worth the stop. Carol.

There are 2 sizes of kennel both generous for the size of dog.Our 2 red setters used one large kennel between them still plenty of room.

Take some bedding with you the pens are all stainless steel so dog will need something to lay on.You can visit your dog and stay with it as long as you like also there is a deck area for exercise.

Poo bags mops and water all provided.The area can get very noisy when all the dogs start to bark and howl but overall good facilities.

You may want to give your dog a sea legs if its rough.

I confirm what colinfrier says. The only potential hassle is going up in the lift which is crowded with other dogs and owners. All you need is one nasty one ......... (dog, not owner!). They ask you to muzzle your dog for this reason but didn't seem to bother enforcing it.

My dog can get nervous if she hears bangs or unusual noises but she didn't get distressed at all on board. Then again she has been used to going in kennels so maybe it appeared similar to her.

We had booked our dog on trip from Plymouth to Santander in April on Britteny ferries but wound up not taking him.Because we were sailing back on a Monday his vet checkup would have been 24/48 hour prior to sailing,that was 4pm Sat to 4pm Sun.I just couldnt get a vet to do this at that time anywhere within a reasonable distance of Santander so I phoned Brittany ferries for advice & they said that there was a big problem ,they couldnt suggest anywhere.If it wasnt done they wouldnt allow him to board & he would have been taken into quarrentine on arrival home so we had to cancel to be on the safe side & put him in kennels here.I did look at the kennels on board ,they were quite good & spaciouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

re having to get dog vetted in Santander on a Sunday - we had this problem last year and didn't realise until 2 weeks before - in desparation contacted "Dogs Away" who sorted us out (at a cost but that was fine).

We had a lovely english speaking female vet in middle of town - good job is was a Sunday because parking was not easy - however it worked fine and i would use her again.

Brittany Ferries have details of vets on their web site - ours was not the only dog in the kennels on the way back on Monday so there must be other vets out their prepared to work Sundays.

Peter

Archived