fuel economy

francepops

hi i am a seasoned caravaner but am now going to venture into the motor caravan way of life.

can anyone tell me the difference in fuel consumption between a low profile and the same model . ie weight and size of an overcab.

does it make that much difference to fuel economy. as i will be away for long periods the overcab seems a better idea .but i will also be doing lots of milage.

can anyone help please

If you do 10,000 miles a year at 30 mpg it will cost you about £1,500 in diesel at 1 Euro a litre (£4.50 per gallon).

Assuming that you buy an overcab and that only gives 25 mpg you will then spend £1,800.

That's an increase of £300 every year (or more or less, obviously depending on your mileage).

Now consider the capital investment of your motorhome. If you pay cash you'll lose the interest on the capital. If it's £30,000 you'll lose £720 interest. This is based on a return of 3% and after basic rate tax is deducted.

Now the killer: Depreciation! This could be anything from £10K per year to just £3-4K.

Considering these costs, to which you'll have to add ferries, site fees etc. etc. do you really want to compromise your ideal choice of motorhome for six quid a week?

My advice is simple - choose the layout and design that suits your lifestyle and completely forget about the differences in fuel consumption between models. It's peanuts in the grand scale of things!

Agree with Rupert, in fact most motorhomes do only 5k/year so the cost drops to only £150. We made the mistake of limiting the size of our first van so that we could get it up our drive and save storeage cost of £600/year. big mistake !!!. So a year ago we used Ruperts cost and benefits reasoning we now have what we want and store it.

Happy holidays - mike

yes thanks for that . i did not know that an overcab only takes about 5mpg of the milage. and i thank you for that. as for the other bits the loss of interest and depreciation surely it would be the same for both types of van so that does not come into the equation.

but i do agree that for the extra cost of dielsel for the milage is negligilble and comfort and usabillity is a far better deal.

thanks all

by the way its pouring down in sunny charente at the moment ugh

:->

Mpg against comfort , Yes comfort and suitabillaty. I bought a Trigano tribute as it was the nearest we could get to our requirments. I have just come back from France just a short trip around 1500 miles. on board computer as caculated Mpg at 35. Cruise control does help...Van loaded and awaiting the the off on Tuesday............

francepops - 2009-09-20 12:33 PM yes thanks for that . i did not know that an overcab only takes about 5mpg of the milage. and i thank you for that. as for the other bits the loss of interest and depreciation surely it would be the same for both types of van so that does not come into the equation. but i do agree that for the extra cost of dielsel for the milage is negligilble and comfort and usabillity is a far better deal. thanks all by the way its pouring down in sunny charente at the moment ugh :->

You seem to have misread or not understood two parts of my reply. I'm not saying that an overcab will be 5mpg worse. Some may only be two or three MPG worse, you may get the odd one that's a bit more. I was simply illustrating a point that, in the scale of things, it's unimportant.

Likewise, I did not say that the costs that I mentioned only applied to one type of 'van. I was simply trying to point out that all motorhomes, whatever the type, have heavy fixed costs and that people get hung up on on saving a few quid on diesel when the investment, depreciation, tax, insurance, servicing and other running costs are very large compared to the annual spend on fuel.

I can only put this down to the fact that you pay a large sum every time you fill up, whilst depreciation, which is the largest cost, simply goes on in the background almost unnoticed!

A friend of mine recently talked about swapping his car for one that would give him better MPG. I sat him down and worked out that the depreciation on his new one would, in the first year alone, cost the equivalent of ten years' extra fuel costs that he'd pay if he kept his less economical vehicle.

He's decided to stick with his current car!

Our Autosleeper Warwick returned 34.8MPG by measurement and 39.2 MPG on the trip computer on a recent trip around Holland but I rarely exceeded 60MPH. I agree fuel is a secondary issue to the van you actually want, however keeping under 3500K is probably worthwhile if you don`t need 3850K e.g. when travelling in Norway, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark to name but a few.

trooper - 2009-09-20 7:26 PM

I agree with your comments, said similar many times. By the way Mr Brown could do with you to help saving the country, common sense beats intelligence always. (lol)

I hope your'e not inferring that Rupert is thick. (lol)

peter - 2009-09-20 9:43 PM
trooper - 2009-09-20 7:26 PM I agree with your comments, said similar many times. By the way Mr Brown could do with you to help saving the country, common sense beats intelligence always. (lol)
I hope your'e not inferring that Rupert is thick. (lol)

I may be thick but I know the difference between imply and infer! :-D

And that your'e is a bit dodgy as well! :-D

Aerodinamics, or steamlining is the answer to MPG and performance. The nearer you can get to the shape of a fish the better it will all be. My Legend all smooth monocoque GRP construction nicely rounded of corners is the best I have had yet. Does not look like a fish, but all the right ideas to slip easily through the air. Also don't drive with the cab windows open that also adds to drag as do top boxes.

Mirarge

I think that the same money argument applies to the 3850kg v 3500kg issue as to overcab v low profile. Assuming that you visit, say Switzerland, for one month in the year the difference in road charges is only going to be £10 (58 euros against 40 euros) and even less for shorter periods. Hardly worth worrying about.

Ron

Go for what suits you best, the mpg is a tad irrelevant as this can be blown out of the equation by your style of driving or whether you are going up steep mountain passes. Also consider that all the time the motorhome is sitting on the driveway or where ever, then too its irrelevant.

We are happy with our layout, comfort, engine and mpg - our holidays are still cheaper than many a package deal but more fun!

RonB - 2009-09-21 8:52 PM

Mirarge

I think that the same money argument applies to the 3850kg v 3500kg issue as to overcab v low profile.

Off topic, but on our travels we're often travelling on roads with a 3.5t limit (they're quite popular on the TomTom fastest route, avoid toll roads setting!!).

I've got a 3400kg so I'm OK. What do people who have heavier than 3.5t vans do? Turn around, or risk it?

derek500 - 2009-09-22 9:35 PM

Off topic, but on our travels we're often travelling on roads with a 3.5t limit (they're quite popular on the TomTom fastest route, avoid toll roads setting!!).

I've got a 3400kg so I'm OK. What do people who have heavier than 3.5t vans do? Turn around, or risk it?

I've never been in that situation but I would find a way to drive around. I guess that makes the effective fuel used to be greater on 3.5T plus vans

Archived