Satellite telly

jonimac

Hello. I'll giving all the systems the once-over at the NEC. Have been looking on the web at Oyster providers who come to you to fit. Will also be looking at Camos and other similar.

Has anyone got any horror stories or better still, stories with happy endings. I own a Swift Sundance 630L already equipped with a status aerial,

Thanks in anticipation.

John.

The Camos dome is a straightforward DIY fit. Just one small hole for the co-ax cable. Just make sure that there are no service cables in the area where you drill. The dome can be fixed to the roof with the adhesive which comes with the dome.

Had a camos 40cm dish fitted last month after looking at various options and in my opinion and the firm that fitted it, think that it is the best thing available at the moment and i would have to agree, perfect picture even in the swiss alps.......worth looking at roadpro who will match any prices as they are apparently the uk distributors for camos

laikaman - 2009-10-03 3:37 AM perfect picture even in the swiss alps.......

The Swiss Alps area is not generally problematic for receiving 2d and appears in the official footprint. The problems come when further south or east.

It's when you get into Spain and Italy that a larger dish is needed.

We spent £65 of a briefcase system from Lidl and can receive good quality sound and vision down to La Rochelle, not been further south since we bought it so we don't know it's limits yet. If you have the cash to spare then a self seeking system is great but we don't so went the cheap route and thinks it's money well spent even if we do need to spent 5 minutes setting up when we have moved locations.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2009-10-05 8:08 PM

Could you not pick up some channels for example Sky News, CNN and others on Astra 1 and various others though mainly rubbish on Hotbird?

Exactly what I was thinking of asking.......

Sorry guys, I was just thinking of BBC News channel but yes, could pick up Sky News, CNN and several other English speaking news or sports channels on other satellites, although just kept setting on 'All Satellites' and it found the channels automatically, just needed to trawl through but nothing for the ardent UK 'soap' watchers :D

Big Momma - 2009-10-05 8:44 PM

Have a Camos Dome, could pick up all main channels (including Freeview) whilst in Souther France (Biarritz). Could only pick up BBC News 24 in Valencia though.

1.9m dish needed here in Valencia for 2d!!

However, you can pick up the BBC red button streams on a 35cm dish, as they're on 2b south.

derek500 - 2009-10-05 10:13 PM

Big Momma - 2009-10-05 8:44 PM

Have a Camos Dome, could pick up all main channels (including Freeview) whilst in Souther France (Biarritz). Could only pick up BBC News 24 in Valencia though.

1.9m dish needed here in Valencia for 2d!!

However, you can pick up the BBC red button streams on a 35cm dish, as they're on 2b south.

What are you using as a reciver on a 335cm dish?

Both a Sky digital and a comag (Lidl) suitcase receiver.

With a Sky box you need to do the red button from BBC News (503).

On a generic FTA box you can scan for the individual feeds. They're named Stream0, Stream1 etc. are on 12441, V, 27500, 2/3.

Hi,

Have just got back from 3 weeks in France (as far down as Bordeaux) and have decided to get a satellite system.

I favour the Camos Plus unit as it looks good value and seems to get a good press.

The automatic dome system is obviously superior, but I think I wpuld prefer to keep £1000 in my pocket and spend a minute or two setting it up.

Any further inside information from anyone who has one would be appreciated before I spend my hard earned (well earned anyway) cash.

;-)

Hi all,

I use a 60cm manual dish from Maxview, works very well all over europe (apparently) although i have used it in france. it can take ten mins or so to set it up and i use it with my sky box from home so i can get all the channels i subscribe to.

I have had a few problems setting it up but experience has taught me the last connection to make is to plug the sky box into the socket.

The only down side is a sky box can only be used on mains power.

We have a Camos Plus dish fitted and the first time we used it it took all of 2 minutes to find the satellite and tune in to a programme. We read on a thread on here that the best way to set up a dish was to first use a compass to check for North, then elevate the dish, point it to the East and then gradually move it to the South. Amazed at how easy it was. We were using the reciever from the £30 Lidl suitcase system which gives an on screen tuning set up, very useful.

Guest JudgeMental

I fancy a dome, but want to know the differcence between the Camos - KVH tracvision - NETA - and the new Maxview dome, which incidently looks exactly the same a the NETA:-S

If any one has an opinion as to which is the bestest ever dome....please let us know! :-D

We have a Camos Dome, had it for 18months now. managed to receive

something to watch in Spain and Portugal this year. re height, it puts us just over the 3 metre , so if the ferry has a over 3, I always state up to 4, if not over 3 will suffice, even on the Fast Cat service, which we use from Portsmouth, has not been a problem, just have to be one of the last on, and back on, but you get to be off quickly!!, also did not cause a problem on the Peage motorways!

Pjay

JudgeMental - 2009-10-08 1:17 PM

I fancy a dome, but want to know the differcence between the Camos - KVH tracvision - NETA - and the new Maxview dome, which incidently looks exactly the same a the NETA:-S

If any one has an opinion as to which is the bestest ever dome....please let us know! :-D

Hi Eddie, I don't know which is the best or why. My feeling is that as they all use similar technology to do a similar job the differences in performance are going to be minimal. One may lock onto a satellite faster while another will give you a few kilometers more range. We deal with the Camos simply because our major supplier carries that brand plus Camos has more options, i.e. several versions of the dome and the crankup, crankup plus, crankup twin LNB etc than many of the other brands. As far as I'm aware the Maxview and the Neta are one and the same (Maxview being a rebranded Neta). I'd be inclined to go for a reliable dealer rather than a particular brand of dome.

D.

Guest JudgeMental
davenewell@home - 2009-10-08 6:53 PM

Hi Eddie, I don't know which is the best or why. My feeling is that as they all use similar technology to do a similar job the differences in performance are going to be minimal. One may lock onto a satellite faster while another will give you a few kilometers more range. We deal with the Camos simply because our major supplier carries that brand plus Camos has more options, i.e. several versions of the dome and the crankup, crankup plus, crankup twin LNB etc than many of the other brands. As far as I'm aware the Maxview and the Neta are one and the same (Maxview being a rebranded Neta). I'd be inclined to go for a reliable dealer rather than a particular brand of dome.

D.

It looks like the Neta/Maxview have a bigger dish in the dome.......Would this not be better reception in deepest Europe?

Cannot help with comparisons but I have just ordered my new van for next year and am having another CAMOS Dome fitted, upgrading slightly to the 'On the Move' system which is slightly larger. I know that this will raise comments but it is not so that I can watch TV whilst driving. But with the 15" Flip Down Tv the passenger could watch TV if they so wished. I am also wondering whether the larger dome will give wider coverage area when travelling further than South of France.

Big Momma - 2009-10-09 9:02 PM

I am also wondering whether the larger dome will give wider coverage area when travelling further than South of France.

Absolutely. The larger the dish, the further from the centre of the satellites' footprints you can go and still receive a signal.

Here is the footprint for 2d.

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/astra2d.html

The dish sizes required are for full signal even in bad weather so are very conservative.

Anyone who's been to the French/Spanish border will tell you they got a signal on dishes as small as a 35cm plastic Lidl dish, whereas the chart says 55-65cm.

Archived