Why?

Tony Jones

Heard a "factoid" on Radio2 yesterday, to the effect that the screwdriver was invented before the screw!

It left me wondering ... "Now why would that be?"

Did they have hard-to-open paint tins?

Or when they DID get the tins open, did they inadvertently paint over the window frames?

Or maybe they needed something to get boy scouts out of horses' hooves?

Those who can remember other ancient uses for screwdrivers before we had screws, please enlighten us!

Guest Tracker

The screwdriver was invented by politicians - hence the term - 'we're all being screwed by the government'.

It was later adopted by accountants, estate agents, lawyers and other so called professional screwers.

Unless there is a competing theory?

You need to be a little more lateral in thought. The 'screwdriver' does not relate to what you are thinking it refers to a golf club that enables players to use a specific type of club to 'screw' the ball round certain degrees of angles to get over awkward areas of rough ground, hence the term 'Screw Driver' *-)

Guest Tracker

So golfing was invented before screwing then?

And I always thought that golfers went golfing because they couldn't go screwing anymore?

I would think that it was invented as a tool for all sorts of 'poking around' uses. After the screw was invented someone realised that it was very good at turning screws and became known as the screw driver.

Bit like the invention of the hammer - which was invented before nails.

The original 'hammer' was a lump of rock.

Nails invented ----

Bingo !

" I can bang 'em in with this bit of rock "

:-| :-|

Tracker - 2009-10-09 7:38 PM

So golfing was invented before screwing then?

And I always thought that golfers went golfing because they couldn't go screwing anymore?

If you go back to one of your earlier posts you will see the association between golfing and screwing. The majority of golfers are bankers, accountants, solicitors, Estate agents etc who all enjoy both golfing and screwing ;-)

I'd have thought it self-evident that screwing was happening an awfully long time before the invention of the screwdriver.

Otherwise the human species wouldn't have evolved............

And anyway, you wouldn't have been able to screw the driver until the car, or the horse-dawn cart maybe, had been invented.........

;-)

Tony Jones - 2009-10-09 6:42 PM

Heard a "factoid" on Radio2 yesterday, to the effect that the screwdriver was invented before the screw!

Boring answer alert!

Don't take too much notice of Steve Wrights 'factiods', it's not unknown for them to be complete bulls**t.

Archived