Winter Heating

Mel B

Thinking about going away just after Christmas and over the New Year period but I do suffer with the cold.

We've always turned the heating off overnight in the 'van but I'm just wondering if we should leave it on at a low setting but as our heating only runs off gas, it could consume a fair bit. The other option is to go on a site with hook-up but fan heaters can be noisy so I suppose we'd have to use a convector type heater.

I just wondered what others do? When you're away over winter do you keep the heating on overnight or do you snuggle down into your duvets and not emerge until you are brave enough in the morning?

In the past we've used a 1/2/3KW fan heater on low setting (1KW), not been loud enough to bother us but we live on a fairly busy road so we're fairly immune to noise at night. In our present motorhome conversion I'm just fitting a Propex blown air gas fired heater. We're away very soon for a night so I'll get back to you on how noisy it is (or not).

D.

Mel - Take a look at a Botanico fan heater. 1000 and 2000 settings, thermostat controlled, frost setting, etc, small, tough and very stable. Also very quite. I can honestly say that we have to look at ours to see if it has cut out or not. They are popular with the greenhouse industry and most garden centres will sell them at around £25-£30.

It depends how cold its going to get - if its not dropping below freezing then snuggling under the duvet is fine - if its dropping below freezing then you need to keep temperature up to stop everything freezing.

Our Truma heater has both gas & electric so on sites i use it on a mixture of both.

If its really cold (we have been down to minus 15 C) then i add in an oil radiator and a fan heater! Just mix and match according to conditions.

I would rather keep some warmth in van overnight otherwise everything gets so cold it never seems to get warm.

Enjoy

Peter

In our old van we used an oil filled radiator and set the temperature to low just to keep the worst cold off at night when we were on electric hook up.

Now with new van only when it gets very cold do we leave any heating on as once snuggled down under duvet it is toasty hot and with 3 dogs not normally necessary. Just make sure as soon as someone stirs - the heating is put on low. Normally by the time I have taken dogs out for morning pee, the motorhome seems lovely and warm anyway!

Don't often use hookups but when we do I take a small fan heater, never found heating necessary overnight.

If it's really cold I would leave an oil filled radiator on low.

At home over the winter always leave an oil filled radiator permanently on set to minimum to keep the van aired.

I read recently (I think in the CC mag) that it's wiser and safer to use electric heating in the night. We bought a fairly cheap convector heater from B & Q, lighter than an oil filled radiator, we made sure it was lowish wattage for foreign campsites with low amp hook up. Sometimes when not on hook up we give the gas heating a quick blast when we get up in the night. He has to get up first and get in last as we sleep in the overcab bed, it's very cosy in there except for a cold nose!

We very rarely have hook up over the winter period, we leave the gas blow air heating on very low and it keeps the chill off, when in the caravan we did leave the gas fire on low over night (the down side is we have to carry a genny for a charge every so offten this is not on 24/7) do not like this system and hope to change the van soon back to the good old gas fire. As we have had Icicles hanging from the ceiling before I do not think dogs and meny blankets has the same effect.

Some interesting ideas there guys. Unfortunately I really do suffer with the cold (I even have special dispensation at work to have my own convector heater in summer! 8-) ) and have been known to wear a hoodie top or a woolly hat overnight in the camper (yeah, passion killers ... but it was too cold anyway ... :D ). I seem to feel the cold even more now so I think having the heating on, in some form or another, is going to be a requirement. I'll have a shuftie at the Botanico fan heater and convectors too. I'm not keen on leaving gas heating on overnight unless vital, ie no hook-up.

The best part is in the morning when a certain little dog sneaks up on to the bed around 6.30 am and shoots down under the bedclothes for a cuddle ... she's still usually wamer than me so I have a lovely furry hot water bottle! :->

As others have already suggested, we use a small oil-filled radiator for background heat overnight. Ours is a 500w model, so only draws 2A max thus not tripping any low-rated hook-up. It is not much larger in size than a laptop computer, but about 3 times as thick. Being silent in operation it is ideal to be left on as it won't keep you awake

davenewell@home - 2009-10-16 7:33 PM

'Ang on a minute, you're not supposed to post naughty pictures like that, this is a family site you know!

D.

I'd better not tell you what we used to get up to in the back of the 'ambulance' then Dave! :D

peter lambert - 2009-10-16 10:19 PM

As others have already suggested, we use a small oil-filled radiator for background heat overnight. Ours is a 500w model, so only draws 2A max thus not tripping any low-rated hook-up. It is not much larger in size than a laptop computer, but about 3 times as thick. Being silent in operation it is ideal to be left on as it won't keep you awake

Hi Peter

Could you advise the make & model of the 500 W radiator, sizes and weight would also be appreciated.

We have been looking for similar for a while, but have only come up with a 1.5Kw which is fairly heavy.

Archived