12 volt fridge switch

mgain

i have an electrolux rm 4401 fridge, and when i put the switch to 12 volts for travelling, the light does not come on, i have checked the switch, and that seems ok, and the fridge works when the engine is running (i think),anybody have any ideas what the problem could be please,

Hi you say that you have checked the switch (presumably the red 12v one) and it's ok, how have you checked it and what makes you say it is ok?

You also say that the fridge works when the engine is running, how have you determined this?

Have you checked that you have 12v at the feed to the switch when the engine is running?

A common cause of this problem when the light does not come on is that the relay that ensures the fridge only has power when the engine is running becomes faulty or a fuse in that line blows so no power is fed to the switch. However if that was the case the fridge would not be operating when the engine was running.

So my only conclusion if the fridge is indeed working with the engine running is that the neon in the switch has failed or the neons path to earth is broken. But you need to ensure you have power to the switch with the engine running before you can come to this conclusion.

Bas

Hi,

Has the light ever come on with 12 volts -- As far as I can tell on the RM4401, there are two switches a red one for 12 volt operation and the 240 volts switch next to it. The 240 volts switch has a neon lamp operated by the mains voltage and the 12volt has no light indication.

I am going by the parts list, because dometic do not or no longer list a manual for the 4401.

On the right hand side of panel is the neon for the spark ignition which will flash when the ignitor fires (sparks).

Jon.

yes there is a light in the switch, on the back are three terminals, one for power in, one for power out, and one for the light, which according to the wiring diagram goes on to the earth wire, hopes this helps, regards

Basically you need to check you have 12 volts on the outout of the switch when it is on. If there is then check the ground (0 volt) connection and it should be 0 volts. As you think the fridge does actually work I suspect the little bulb in the switch has blown.

Brambles - 2009-11-04 2:36 PM

Basil, are you saying the RM4401 DOES have a light in the 12 volt (red?) switch. As mentined in my post the parts list does not show it so unclear if it does or not. Assuming it does its possible the lamp only has failed.

Jon.

Hi Brambles,

Yes ours does, well I believe it is a neon light rather than a bulb as such. As the previous poster has said there are three connections on the back a common, normally open and an earth for the indicator light.

I would still like to know how the poster has determined that the fridge is 'working' on 12 volt though!

Bas

Bas

• 5 weeks later...
please note, one for the record .even if you get 12 volts does not necessary mean that switch is letting full power through . over time contacts get slightly burnt / tarnished due to high amperage through them ( about 8-12 continuous) thus reducing efficiency of fridge . this one caught me out. meter resistence check and a post mortem on old switch revealed all ? fridge now works great whilst travelling .

Archived